• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

Leo91   

Does Sian still officiate in the Premier League ? Ain't seen her in ages 

2 hours ago, Flinkers said:

You're right - women play on different sized pitches, with a different number of players, under different rules and constantly against players of the opposite gender - it's not the same sport at all! Hayes has gone through the same education as her male counterparts, has had to do the same graft to get where she is and has more claim to be a football manager than Vilas Boas did when he went from tactical scout at Inter to the hot seat at Porto.

Why is it acceptable for Phil Neville to take over the women's national team, Lampard to take over a top 6 Championship side or Gerrard to take over the second biggest club in Scotland with ZERO managerial experience, but it's not OK for Hayes, who has won multiple league titles and Cups (against men no less) and holds a UEFA Pro Licence to take over a senior side?

The only reason people find it strange is because of gender typecasting, not because she's incapable.

Because whatever exposure she’s had at women’s football is nothing in comparison to what awaits at the top of the premier league. I’m shocked it’s not an obvious fact really. 

Am I ready to coach Chelsea if I get through and acquire the UEFA badges? No, of course not. Having the paperwork in place and being remotely qualified is two separate things. Whatever exposure AVB, Gerrard and Lampard had in their previous positions are worth a hundred times more than having the UEFA qualification. 

JaneB   
9 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Does Sian still officiate in the Premier League ? Ain't seen her in ages 

Yep.  Saw her on the last day of the season.  Can't remember which match.

Flinkers   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Dismissive yes, accurate yes too.  It has all been Ladies football.  The boys vs girls comparison is everything.  

Without having a chance to manage in the men's game I disagree that it's everything - my point was that she'd grafted to get where she is and had proven to be an adaptable, successful Coach.

Had she been just as successful in amateur football, would you be proposing her now?  

She is only a big fish because it is a very very very small pool.

Probably not, but I'm not proposing Johann Schmidt, from down the road, or Joe Cole to be the next manager either. Similarly, I've not actually proposed Emma Hayes - merely stated that if interviewed / hired she'd be an intriguing prospect.

It isn't a man's job, it isn't a job where the extra speed or strength or arrogance of a man helps.
But it is a job in which she competes with 50% of the population, instead of the 1% that have shown any interest in female football.

And yet we had the same arguments about suitability thrown around when (Massey) was introduced in 2010.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I saw Emma Hayes being interviewed on TV once and she did come across as very knowledgeable on the game , I'd be worried that our precious lot would struggle with being told what to do by a woman though seeing as they appear to dislike being told what to do by anyone , the amount of coaches they've seen off.

From what I've seen and heard of her, I've found her very competent in footballing matters and quite insightful. Certainly a step up on Mark Lawrenson et al. Whether she would be accepted by a professional men's team is the key question. The number of women involved in male professional sport is still very small.

51 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Of course it doesnt necessarily make them any good at it, but they have at least each spent 20 years in the men's game day in day out, feeding off the best coaches in World football

(well not Gerrard, obviously).

So had Thierry Henry!

Edited by Flinkers

Flinkers   
54 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Because whatever exposure she’s had at women’s football is nothing in comparison to what awaits at the top of the premier league. I’m shocked it’s not an obvious fact really. 

Am I ready to coach Chelsea if I get through and acquire the UEFA badges? No, of course not. Having the paperwork in place and being remotely qualified is two separate things. Whatever exposure AVB, Gerrard and Lampard had in their previous positions are worth a hundred times more than having the UEFA qualification. 

I don't understand this viewpoint to be honest.

Lampard et al are 100x more valuable with ZERO managerial experience than Emma Hayes with a multi-national, silverware-winning coaching history just because they've been involved in men's football? That's obviously why Alan Shearer and Thierry Henry (to name but two) have been so successful translating all the great things they were 'exposed' to in their careers...

Gerrard was the coach of the Liverpool U18s for 1 year before getting the Rangers gig. Lampard wasn't even that.

You aren't ready to coach Chelsea in the same way that all the ex-professionals who jump straight into a managerial position aren't - no quantifiable experience. Emma Hayes has 6 years experience coaching and managing in the Chelsea Environment; successfully too. Where it’s been earned should be irrelevant.

Edited by Flinkers

18 minutes ago, Flinkers said:

I don't understand this viewpoint to be honest.

Lampard et al are 100x more valuable with ZERO managerial experience than Emma Hayes with a multi-national, silverware-winning coaching history just because they've been involved in men's football? That's obviously why Alan Shearer and Thierry Henry (to name but two) have been so successful translating all the great things they were 'exposed' to in their careers...

Gerrard was the coach of the Liverpool U18s for 1 year before getting the Rangers gig. Lampard wasn't even that.

You aren't ready to coach Chelsea in the same way that all the ex-professionals aren't - no quantifiable experience. Emma Hayes has 6 years experience coaching and managing in the Chelsea Environment; successfully too.

The ex-professionals with no experience are not managing Chelsea though.

They are managing (at the time, mid-Championship) Derby and in "Scottish" football.

3 hours ago, Flinkers said:

You're right - women play on different sized pitches, with a different number of players, under different rules and constantly against players of the opposite gender - it's not the same sport at all! Hayes has gone through the same education as her male counterparts, has had to do the same graft to get where she is and has more claim to be a football manager than Vilas Boas did when he went from tactical scout at Inter to the hot seat at Porto.

Why is it acceptable for Phil Neville to take over the women's national team, Lampard to take over a top 6 Championship side or Gerrard to take over the second biggest club in Scotland with ZERO managerial experience, but it's not OK for Hayes, who has won multiple league titles and Cups (against men no less) and holds a UEFA Pro Licence to take over a senior side?

The only reason people find it strange is because of gender typecasting, not because she's incapable.

Interesting view Flinkers

Flinkers   
10 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

The ex-professionals with no experience are not managing Chelsea though.

They are managing (at the time, mid-Championship) Derby and in "Scottish" football.

And I’m not suggesting they should!

I’m suggesting a coach with 6 years experience coaching at Chelsea, who has won silverware and is quite clearly a talented coach should be taken under consideration and not simply dismissed because their achievements have been won in the wrong gender.

Edited by Flinkers

47 minutes ago, Flinkers said:

Without having a chance to manage in the men's game I disagree that it's everything - my point was that she'd grafted to get where she is and had proven to be an adaptable, successful Coach.

It's a bit like the "Kyle Scott has never been given a chance to play with top players at Chelsea" argument.

6 minutes ago, Flinkers said:

I’m suggesting a coach with 6 years experience, who has won silverware and is attuned to the club should be taken under consideration and not just dismissed because their achievements have won in the wrong gender.

It isn't about gender.  It is about the size of the market.  Women's football in UK is about the size of men's football in Malta.  Surely you wouldn't argue that a top domestic Maltese manager with silverware should be considered as a Chelsea manager?

There is a woman manager in the German division 5.  She is 30 and a former German woman U23 international.  Promoted from Assistant manager.  Imke Wubbenhorst.
That is a good starting point for her - good luck.
Sense of humour too - she told the press she picks the team on penis size.

Flinkers   
45 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It's a bit like the "Kyle Scott has never been given a chance to play with top players at Chelsea" argument.

It isn't about gender.  It is about the size of the market.  Women's football in UK is about the size of men's football in Malta.  Surely you wouldn't argue that a top domestic Maltese manager with silverware should be considered as a Chelsea manager?

There is a woman manager in the German division 5.  She is 30 and a former German woman U23 international.  Promoted from Assistant manager.  Imke Wubbenhorst.
That is a good starting point for her - good luck.
Sense of humour too - she told the press she picks the team on penis size.

Or conversely, the “Harry Kane, Mo Salah and Kevin de Bruyne aren’t good enough for the Premier League” argument.

l admit, I also googled whether there were any female managers coaching men’s teams. After Shelley Kerr and Corrine Diacre, I wasn’t getting too many hits. It’s unusual yes, but Emma Hayes has done her time down in the gumboot patches. I just think she shouldn’t be dismissed that easily.

She’s certainly done more than most ex-pros have done before getting an academy job.