• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

11 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Not even remotely similar.

What do you mean?

conte made up 40+ points of which he only needed to make up 33 points to beat Leicester’s total the previous season. 

You really need to move on and stop trying to defend a coach for whatever reason, is no longer employed by the club  

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Hopefully he left our 3rd place finish, and the Europa League cup back at SB. Let's see how well the next guy does.......

But do you know what, as the great writer and philosopher Mark Twain once said, "That don't impress me much"..... no hang on a minute, not Mark Twain, it was Shania Twain but I'm gonna stick with it. 

We are Chelsea. One of the biggest and richest teams in the world. We have some amazing players and a rich recent history multiple titles and domestic and European trophies including the one with the 'big ears'. Now are we supposed to give Sarri all our thanks and gratitude as he feccs off back to Italy after quitting. So what are the positives of his tenure? What did he actually achieve? Well it would appear  nothing more than one of our of a pre Roman 90s Chelsea sides?  That is how far we have regressed back lately. If you doubt this claim check the achievements for these two teams:

2018/19 - 3rd place in PL, Europa Cup winners, finalist in League cup. 

1997/98- 4th place in PL. UEFA Cup winners, League Cup WINNERS.

Almost identical but with one more trophy for the 98 squad. Was this season some kind of fluke? No sir, it wasn't. Next season we finished 3rd in the PL, won the Super Cup and got to semis of the Cup Winners Cup.  Season after that we won the FA cup and got the semi finals of the CL. Then in the year before Roman arrived we finished 2nd in the PL a whole 19 points above Liverpool ( always a bonus). And back then it was fun. We were going places. We had a few tasty players but a lot average stuff to. No most expensive goalkeeper in the world for us. Oh no, we had Ed De Goey in his tracky bottoms. No world beater Eden Hazard back then , we made do with likes of Chris Sutton. Our multi million pound all star defence that last season that was proving about  as effective as a chocolate fireguard, was marshalled back in the 90s by the likes of good old Frank Sinclair. 

I'm not laying all the blame on Sarri because the board have made mistakes and Contes last season was devastating, but Sarri was welcomed with great goodwill and optimism by most. He got the players he wanted and chose his tactics and formation and was found wanting. It could have been 6th or 7th for us it really could. 

So if you're listening Frank , we hope you had a great birthday. And in the words of the babelicious Shania Twain "C'mon Over" we need you. I'm not going to say that " man you'll feel like a woman" because that would make no sense at all. But I will say "You're Still The One" , and if you give it your best shot ( and we know you will)  regardless whether you fail or succeed ,  you will always be Super Frankie Lampard to us. 

C'mon the Chels!!

53 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

But do you know what, as the great writer and philosopher Mark Twain once said, "That don't impress me much"..... no hang on a minute, not Mark Twain, it was Shania Twain but I'm gonna stick with it. 

Mate, I didn't say that it had to impress you, or that it had to impress anyone else, or (obviously) that we hadn't had better years. I just can't abide belittling the man just for the sake of it. He was here and he did a job - not  everybody's favourite to be sure (including me), but that shouldn't detract from what he achieved here, nor should we begrudge him that, imo..

Dingus   
7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Comments from an upstart that thinks he has a long understanding of the game - we are well rid of this fool of that I have no doubts.

An upstart. What a load of rubbish.

13 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Don't switch over the the "Next Boss " thread then. Someones suggesting that CHO's injury was down to him being overplayed during the season!

Haha, I knew someone would willingly misinterpret and misrepresent that bit. I also know that someone actually know what I meant (because I spelled it out quite clearly). 

Bit of a bad mood Mr KitKat? 

Anyhow, it’s all done and dusted. Sarri has moved on to something bigger and better so I’m quite sure he doesn’t give a rats ass what the Chelsea fans think of him. He’s on a mission to win some more trophies before he falls off his chair. Juve represents a much better chance for him to do so. 

Blue Rod   
11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think he needs more than 5 players to do that.  And a budget as big as Man U's or City's or PSGs.
Apart from the corner flag goal against Barca, Frank has always been a 100% effort man, never a miracle worker.

First, he needs to get the current players playing at their best.  That is the best sign of progress. It is what Conte achieved in his first season. Moses, Alonso, Kante, you name it, were playing some of the best football of their careers. That is when you know you're on to something. Then new signings can take the team further. Any manager who is blaming his star forwards for defensive  something is talking rubbish. 

I can see that the Sarri debate is still rumbling on, and I have not posted a sentence here for a month. I blame it on you, Droy. Because Ghost is now to Sarri what you are to Mourinho. How depressing that he has caught that bug. The thought of someone continuing to harp on here about Sarri in the next 10 years? Help us, Almighty. That Sarri will not last more than 2 seasons at Juventus will make no difference.  We are doomed. 

Edited by Blue Rod

5 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

We are Chelsea. One of the biggest and richest teams in the world.

This is the rub for me... We kinda aren't one of the biggest or richest now, and haven't been for about a decade. What we've done is continue to punch as if that was our weight for far longer than we've actually kept the weight on.

We aren't paupers, obviously. But there are now at least 3 PL clubs who can outspend us, one or two new superpowers in Europe who we did not have to contend with when Roman arrived, and the European elite old guard (Bayern, Real, Barca, Juventus) have assumed domestic stranglehold that give them all the more strength. 

For me, we under achieved in Roman's first 5 or so years, when we were genuinely in the top 2 or 3 most powerful clubs in world football. And then we've over achieved for the next decade or so, when we were really part of a less elite chasing pack but still clocked up the silverware. 

Obviously I would like the aspiration to be that we get back to the genuinely elite club bracket, but I'm not sure it is realistic and it certainly is not where we are now. 

(P. S. Was always more of a Natalie Imbruglia man) 

Edited by thevelourfog

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

This is the rub for me... We kinda aren't one of the biggest or richest now, and haven't been for about a decade. Why we've done is continue to punch as if that was our weight for far longer than we've actually kept the weight on.

We aren't paupers, obviously. But there are now at least 3 PL clubs who can outspend us, one or two new superpowers in Europe who we did not have to contend with when Roman arrived, and the European elite old guard (Bayern, Real, Barca, Juventus) have assumed domestic stranglehold that give them all the more strength. 

For me, we under achieved in Roman's first 5 or so years, when we were genuinely in the top 2 or 3 most powerful clubs in world football. And then we've over achieved for the next decade or so, when we were really part of a less elite chasing pack but still clocked up the silverware. 

Obviously I would like the aspiration to be that we get back to the genuinely elite club bracket, but I'm not sure it is realistic and it certainly is not where we are now. 

Have to agree , especially the bolded bit .

We could have been contenders.

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Have to agree , especially the bolded bit .

We could have been contenders.

Should say, obviously we were class and much of the under achievement was plain bad luck; we easily could have won 2 CLs in that time if a single butterfly somewhere has flapped its wings differently. But we didn't, and the fact is we'll never have the titles that we were capable of winning in that period.