• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

Blue Rod   
4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Should say, obviously we were class and much of the under achievement was plain bad luck; we easily could have won 2 CLs in that time if a single butterfly somewhere has flapped its wings differently. But we didn't, and the fact is we'll never have the titles that we were capable of winning in that period. 

I agree. To say we underachieved is a little bit unfair. During that period we went from obscurity to becoming the highest rated club in Europe even when we failed to win those CLs. Talk about the present, people have written us off so many times, but no more than we have written ourselves off. We have been here before.

paulw66   
5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Mate, I didn't say that it had to impress you, or that it had to impress anyone else, or (obviously) that we hadn't had better years. I just can't abide belittling the man just for the sake of it. He was here and he did a job - not  everybody's favourite to be sure (including me), but that shouldn't detract from what he achieved here, nor should we begrudge him that, imo..

Quite. 

13 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sounds like a response to a different post.  Or I am missing something.

A sense of humour?

paulw66   
6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

But do you know what, as the great writer and philosopher Mark Twain once said, "That don't impress me much"..... no hang on a minute, not Mark Twain, it was Shania Twain but I'm gonna stick with it. 

We are Chelsea. One of the biggest and richest teams in the world. We have some amazing players and a rich recent history multiple titles and domestic and European trophies including the one with the 'big ears'. Now are we supposed to give Sarri all our thanks and gratitude as he feccs off back to Italy after quitting. So what are the positives of his tenure? What did he actually achieve? Well it would appear  nothing more than one of our of a pre Roman 90s Chelsea sides?  That is how far we have regressed back lately. If you doubt this claim check the achievements for these two teams:

2018/19 - 3rd place in PL, Europa Cup winners, finalist in League cup. 

1997/98- 4th place in PL. UEFA Cup winners, League Cup WINNERS.

Almost identical but with one more trophy for the 98 squad. Was this season some kind of fluke? No sir, it wasn't. Next season we finished 3rd in the PL, won the Super Cup and got to semis of the Cup Winners Cup.  Season after that we won the FA cup and got the semi finals of the CL. Then in the year before Roman arrived we finished 2nd in the PL a whole 19 points above Liverpool ( always a bonus). And back then it was fun. We were going places. We had a few tasty players but a lot average stuff to. No most expensive goalkeeper in the world for us. Oh no, we had Ed De Goey in his tracky bottoms. No world beater Eden Hazard back then , we made do with likes of Chris Sutton. Our multi million pound all star defence that last season that was proving about  as effective as a chocolate fireguard, was marshalled back in the 90s by the likes of good old Frank Sinclair. 

I'm not laying all the blame on Sarri because the board have made mistakes and Contes last season was devastating, but Sarri was welcomed with great goodwill and optimism by most. He got the players he wanted and chose his tactics and formation and was found wanting. It could have been 6th or 7th for us it really could. 

So if you're listening Frank , we hope you had a great birthday. And in the words of the babelicious Shania Twain "C'mon Over" we need you. I'm not going to say that " man you'll feel like a woman" because that would make no sense at all. But I will say "You're Still The One" , and if you give it your best shot ( and we know you will)  regardless whether you fail or succeed ,  you will always be Super Frankie Lampard to us. 

C'mon the Chels!!

You're right last season was very similar to 1998/99. Apart from nobody was hounding out Vialli as manager were they? He was a hero. The top 2 also got 78 and 79 points respectively, as opposed to the 98 and 97 this season. The task in hand a lot tougher this time around. 

The rest of the post is a factual mess........you make out like the 1998/99 was full of mediocre players. 

- We had no world beater like Hazard.........no, just Zola instead. 

- We had to make do with Chris Sutton. He didn't sign until the summer of 99, and we dropped down to 5th in 99/00. (we got the QF of the CL not semis)

- Frank Sinclair left in summer 1998. He wasn't part of the team that finished 3rd. We had to make do with World Cup winners Marcel Desailly and Frank Leboeuf. 

- The year before Roman arrived we finished 2nd. No we didn't, we finished 4th, Liverpool finished 5th just 3 points behind. Famous final day of the season stuff when we beat them 2-1. We finished 2nd in Roman's first year after he spent a fortune on 9 players, 19 points ahead of Liverpool 

I am curious at to how we could have finished 7th last year...... Wolves finishes 15 points behind us. You'll have to explain that. At the end of the day, we finished 3rd, which realisitically was the best we could have achieved. Unless you believe this squad was capable of 97+ points? 

4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Mate, I didn't say that it had to impress you, or that it had to impress anyone else, or (obviously) that we hadn't had better years. I just can't abide belittling the man just for the sake of it. He was here and he did a job - not  everybody's favourite to be sure (including me), but that shouldn't detract from what he achieved here, nor should we begrudge him that, imo..

No if course, but some posters ARE saying I must be be impressed. " Admit he's been fab or I'll screeem and screeem  and screeem again ". No I bloody well won't. Has there been much belittling or is it mainly fair criticism of the club failings this season for which he must take some responsibility?  Even the man himself is over in Italy admitting things didn't go quite as planned . That rather pisses on those posters bonfire who've been bigging his season up all this time. However does he blame himself for anything? Oh God no. Apparently it's Hazards fault for being a negative presence in the defensive phase and the latest quote is that  7 or 8 of the players wouldn't/couldn't play as a team. That was the reason why the Napoli side played so much better than this Chelsea side. What a nerve. Well that is your opinion Mister Sarri but my opinion is that those players tried pretty hard to adapt to your philosophy and have enhanced your CV  considerably, despite you, not because of you and that is your parting gift to them. Sarri appears to be begrudgingly the 7 or 8 players any credit ( obvs not his own lad who played so poorly so many times) so I'm not going to spend too much time giving him any. And let's not forget that he just quit when the going got tough. 

More than happy to see the back of him.

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You're right last season was very similar to 1998/99. Apart from nobody was hounding out Vialli as manager were they? He was a hero. The top 2 also got 78 and 79 points respectively, as opposed to the 98 and 97 this season. The task in hand a lot tougher this time around. 

The rest of the post is a factual mess........you make out like the 1998/99 was full of mediocre players. 

- We had no world beater like Hazard.........no, just Zola instead. 

- We had to make do with Chris Sutton. He didn't sign until the summer of 99, and we dropped down to 5th in 99/00. (we got the QF of the CL not semis)

- Frank Sinclair left in summer 1998. He wasn't part of the team that finished 3rd. We had to make do with World Cup winners Marcel Desailly and Frank Leboeuf. 

- The year before Roman arrived we finished 2nd. No we didn't, we finished 4th, Liverpool finished 5th just 3 points behind. Famous final day of the season stuff when we beat them 2-1. We finished 2nd in Roman's first year after he spent a fortune on 9 players, 19 points ahead of Liverpool 

I am curious at to how we could have finished 7th last year...... Wolves finishes 15 points behind us. You'll have to explain that. At the end of the day, we finished 3rd, which realisitically was the best we could have achieved. Unless you believe this squad was capable of 97+ points? 

Oh well you are a mister grumpy boots. I'm sorry my light hearted post upset you so much with so many inaccuracies but I'm kinda flattered that you spend so much time analysing it. I'm sure you noticed my post was aimed at the 90s in general not a specific year or specific players pertaining to a specific year ( read it again calmly) I'm sure you noticed I said we had tasty players mixed in with average ones ( not that we had a team full of mediocrity, so correct my stats by all means but stop changing my gist) Zola was great but was no Hazard. In 2003/4 we finished 2nd 19 points ahead of Liverpool but before the proper Roman revolution with Mourinho . The general point was that we were jolly good back then with a mixed bag of players , ok managers and lots of heart but not a lot of money  But your right 7th would have been highly unlikely but 6th a distinct possibility. Now go and have a lie down.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

This is the rub for me... We kinda aren't one of the biggest or richest now, and haven't been for about a decade. What we've done is continue to punch as if that was our weight for far longer than we've actually kept the weight on.

We aren't paupers, obviously. But there are now at least 3 PL clubs who can outspend us, one or two new superpowers in Europe who we did not have to contend with when Roman arrived, and the European elite old guard (Bayern, Real, Barca, Juventus) have assumed domestic stranglehold that give them all the more strength. 

For me, we under achieved in Roman's first 5 or so years, when we were genuinely in the top 2 or 3 most powerful clubs in world football. And then we've over achieved for the next decade or so, when we were really part of a less elite chasing pack but still clocked up the silverware. 

Obviously I would like the aspiration to be that we get back to the genuinely elite club bracket, but I'm not sure it is realistic and it certainly is not where we are now. 

(P. S. Was always more of a Natalie Imbruglia man) 

Agree with much of that observant post . However on the Natalie Imbruglia thing.... I'm a bit Torn. 

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Oh well you are a mister grumpy boots. I'm sorry my light hearted post upset you so much with so many inaccuracies but I'm kinda flattered that you spend so much time analysing it. I'm sure you noticed my post was aimed at the 90s in general not a specific year or specific players pertaining to a specific year ( read it again calmly) I'm sure you noticed I said we had tasty players mixed in with average ones ( not that we had a team full of mediocrity, so correct my stats by all means but stop changing my gist) Zola was great but was no Hazard. In 2003/4 we finished 2nd 19 points ahead of Liverpool but before the proper Roman revolution with Mourinho . The general point was that we were jolly good back then with a mixed bag of players , ok managers and lots of heart but not a lot of money  But your right 7th would have been highly unlikely but 6th a distinct possibility. Now go and have a lie down.

You tried to belittle Sarri for finishing 3rd by saying we did it before with players like Frank Sinclair and Chris Sutton. We didn't.

That team was pretty damn good. De Goey, Ferrer, Desaily, Leboeuf, Le Saux, Wise, Poyet, Petrescu, di Matteo, Zola, Hughes........

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Have to agree , especially the bolded bit .

We could have been contenders.

Yeh, we should have more than 1 CL to our name I reckon.