• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

9 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

We are Chelsea. One of the biggest and richest teams in the world.

I beg to differ.  We haven't been one of the richest teams for 10 years now.
We have become a yoyo team - much like Spurs and Liverpool, with peaks and troughs.

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

This is the rub for me... We kinda aren't one of the biggest or richest now, and haven't been for about a decade....

For me, we under achieved in Roman's first 5 or so years, when we were genuinely in the top 2 or 3 most powerful clubs in world football. And then we've over achieved for the next decade or so, when we were really part of a less elite chasing pack but still clocked up the silverware. 

I see you got in ahead of me.
I don't think we underachieved the first 5 years.  Not when you think how good Man U were in those years.  
2 PLs and 4 2nd places
3 CL semis and 1 final  (and we were robbed in all but the first semi).
If you want to see underachievement with mega money just look at City or PSG.  

But I agree that from about 2009 we became just a wealthy, not longer super wealthy club.  And that 2010 was based on earlier investment, and 2012 was just payback in terms of luck after all the bad luck in previous years.

Since when we have either built for the long term (2011-13) or splashed out on key players (2014/15, 16/17) and just Fxxxed up completely one year only (17/18).

So yes overachieved in last 10 years, but with the yoyo pattern that Liverpool are currently using as well.

23 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

He had the moves but did he have the touch? Don't get me wrong I think he's alright.

OK. So, what do you think? You're Elvis or something?

paulw66   

for those feeling precious about Sarri's comments on Hazard.........F365 have summed it up quite well.

Dig of the dump
Maurizio Sarri has now left Chelsea. And so has Eden Hazard. And yet The Sun cannot resist having a big old pop at both. Because how else can West Ham fan Andrew Dillon earn his corn? Unfortunately, The Athletic are not about to double his money to write about his favourite team.

His double-page spread on the new Juventus manager is headlined ‘Sarri Haz a dig at Eden..’ and Mediawatch is already thinking ‘we bet he bloody hasn’t’.

And of course he bloody hasn’t. What he did say was this:

“We had to accommodate Hazard’s characteristics, as he could change the game.

“But also his presence caused issues in defending that they had to work on.”

That sounds exactly like any manager talking about his most talented player, and is patently not a ‘dig’ (or a ‘slap down’ as it was deemed in the Daily Mirror) in any language but Tabloidese; the Italian did not ‘reveal the hidden cost of having £150million man Eden Hazard in your team’, and not just because Eden Hazard absolutely did not cost £150m.

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

for those feeling precious about Sarri's comments on Hazard.........F365 have summed it up quite well.

Dig of the dump
Maurizio Sarri has now left Chelsea. And so has Eden Hazard. And yet The Sun cannot resist having a big old pop at both. Because how else can West Ham fan Andrew Dillon earn his corn? Unfortunately, The Athletic are not about to double his money to write about his favourite team.

His double-page spread on the new Juventus manager is headlined ‘Sarri Haz a dig at Eden..’ and Mediawatch is already thinking ‘we bet he bloody hasn’t’.

And of course he bloody hasn’t. What he did say was this:

“We had to accommodate Hazard’s characteristics, as he could change the game.

“But also his presence caused issues in defending that they had to work on.”

That sounds exactly like any manager talking about his most talented player, and is patently not a ‘dig’ (or a ‘slap down’ as it was deemed in the Daily Mirror) in any language but Tabloidese; the Italian did not ‘reveal the hidden cost of having £150million man Eden Hazard in your team’, and not just because Eden Hazard absolutely did not cost £150m.

Andrew Dillon is a poor man's pillock.  Nothing he writes makes any sense whatsoever, ignore the fool.

Edited by blueandproud

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

You tried to belittle Sarri for finishing 3rd by saying we did it before with players like Frank Sinclair and Chris Sutton. We didn't.

That team was pretty damn good. De Goey, Ferrer, Desaily, Leboeuf, Le Saux, Wise, Poyet, Petrescu, di Matteo, Zola, Hughes........

Ok you wanna be Mr Picky lets look at exactly what I said and then examine your post. I did asked you to read my post again calmly: 

I put this put this sentence in the second paragraph..."Well it would appear (we are)  nothing more than one of our of a pre Roman 90s Chelsea sides?"

Do you see the highlighted bit? That means not one specific side in one specific season only, but a number of different teams in a number of different seasons throughout the 90s. Anyone can have a one off great year. Look at Leicester. But we started to get a pattern of having domestic success by winning domestic trophies and finishing in the top 4 plus doing well in European competition. Later in the post I went on to mention those different seasons and some of the players that played in them. So are you ok with that so far? 

Right. Then I went on to highlight an unusual but interesting comparison with our last season and the season of 1997/98. here's what I wrote:

"That is how far we have regressed back lately. If you doubt this claim check the achievements for these two teams:

2018/19 - 3rd place in PL, Europa Cup winners, finalist in League cup. 

1997/98- 4th place in PL. UEFA Cup winners, League Cup WINNERS".

now can I draw your attention to the highlighted piece again? You see where it says 4th?  No claim of 3rd or matching Sarri on this . But Frank Sinclair was in that side and unlike Sarri's side of 2019, managed to win the league cup as well. In fact if my memory serves me correct, dear old Frank scored in the final! So one could ague that a team with Frank Sinclair in it did out perform Sarris side, but I suppose it depends on the value of 3rd place over 4th place to a LC trophy. I don't even need to ask your answer to that one but we could call it a draw if you like.  I then talked about the 98/99 season (no players names, just achievements).... here's what I went on to say :

"Next season (98/99) we finished 3rd in the PL, won the Super Cup and got to semis of the Cup Winners Cup".   

You got any problem with those stats because they are all correct?

The next season 99/00 was the side with Chris Sutton in it. We finished a creditable 5th won the FA cup and got to the quarters of the CL (you're quite right not the semis but actually not that relevant because Sarri wasn't part of that competition). However I do believe we thrashed the tripple winning United side that year 5-0 with Sutton getting a goal. Happy memories!

I will just copy and paste a final paragraph because I think it highlights how I was making a general statement about the 90s rather than specific players, dates and seasons...please read the bold bit as this particularly makes the point :

"And back then it was fun. We were going places. We had a few tasty players but a lot average stuff to. No most expensive goalkeeper in the world for us. Oh no, we had Ed De Goey in his tracky bottoms. No world beater Eden Hazard back then , we made do with likes of Chris Sutton. Our multi million pound all star defence that last season that was proving about  as effective as a chocolate fireguard, was marshalled back in the 90s by the likes of good old Frank Sinclair."  

I can get a bit of insomnia. Sometimes while trying to drift of to sleep I tap away on my tablet . You will probably see this post was made at about 3 am in the morning. In a post like this I'm not going to fact check the exact date of every achievement , every round we got to in various comps and every player that played in it. A Seasons crosses over a year and old comps have been replaced by new ones...it can get tricky. Easy to make mistakes as you have done.  I know roughly in my head what went on. It was an observation that we are now a team that is achieving little more than some of our 90s counterparts before all the money arrived (and having less fun) . I was replying in a light hearted way to MT. He probably saw the the odd error or incorrect stat but I doubt he could be arsed to even bring it up.  

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I beg to differ.  We haven't been one of the richest teams for 10 years now.

I don't know how they work it all out but I read somewhere recently that we are the 7th richest team in the world. If thats true we are indeed one of the richest teams in the world. 

Ham   
27 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I don't know how they work it all out but I read somewhere recently that we are the 7th richest team in the world. If thats true we are indeed one of the richest teams in the world. 

I'd say we're still rich and competitive based on recent spending...

Screenshot_20190621-201002_Chrome.jpg

39 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'd say we're still rich and competitive based on recent spending...

I'd say we are spent out but jam packed full of players we have no intention to use.
That sounds like stony broke to me.

13 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Haha, I knew someone would willingly misinterpret and misrepresent that bit. I also know that someone actually know what I meant (because I spelled it out quite clearly). 

Bit of a bad mood Mr KitKat? 

Anyhow, it’s all done and dusted. Sarri has moved on to something bigger and better so I’m quite sure he doesn’t give a rats ass what the Chelsea fans think of him. He’s on a mission to win some more trophies before he falls off his chair. Juve represents a much better chance for him to do so. 

No all good Ghost. I'm quite chipper actually but I just wish this bloody club would make its move. I still have memories of the horrific Conte departure/Sarri appointment. I can't take another one of those.

The Sarri at Juve is proving interesting. He's now made a point at having a pop at the Chelsea players saying that 7 or 8 played like individuals not as a team which is why it worked so much better at Napoli than here (you know trophy laden Napoli). I don't know if he's got a point or not but don't you think it's time for him to move on as well? And talking of team players, Ronaldo must have choked on his morning protein shake when he heard that!    

Ham   
39 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'd say we are spent out but jam packed full of players we have no intention to use.
That sounds like stony broke to me.

Let's see who SFL is prepared to use before making any assumptions. 

Financial Services Firm Deloitte produced a 2019 Football money league. We are/were 8th .Thing is, its talking about us in the CL so it looks like old info. Anyway, here's what it says.

8. Chelsea FC — €505.7 million ($573.1 million). The Premier League team has witnessed declining standards on the pitch in recent seasons (it finished fifth in the English division and only reached the UEFA Champions League Round of 16). However, it remains a commercial powerhouse thanks to lucrative contracts with Nike and Yokohama Tyres.