• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

kev61   
13 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

As a consequence of me often working late at night, I tend to watch too much day time TV.  It is a bit of a worry. One of my favourites though is Escape to the Country  which I watch quite a lot of. A frustrating show in many ways . You will see a couple literally sobbing at finally finding their dream home for a fraction of the price they were expecting to pay. Then as the end credits roll, a voice over says something like:

" sadly Maureen and Stephen had second thoughts about their dream home in the country as Stephen considered the long 20 minute commute to work a bit too exhausting. But we are happy to say they have bought the house next door to where they live now in Milton Keynes".  

So my emotional journey with Maureen and Stephen has been a complete waste of my 30 mins. But somehow I always get sucked in to watching. But uninterestingly I will ONLY watch the show if it has the one of the correct presenters.   If its that ex choir boy Alled Jones or the posh idiot who wears the sleeveless puffer jackets, I'm devastated and have to switch over.  If its Nicky Chapman or Alistair the kettle is on and the kitkats are out.

The thing is we ARE the house in country and if we sold up we could retire tomorrow - unfortunately my wife has ties to this region much to my displeasure.I'm trying to play the long game because I love her but Jesus we could be dead tomorrow!

8 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Juve about to sign de Ligt.

With the same agent , that's probably where all the Pogba to Juventus stories have come from.

5 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The thing is we ARE the house in country and if we sold up we could retire tomorrow - unfortunately my wife has ties to this region much to my displeasure.I'm trying to play the long game because I love her but Jesus we could be dead tomorrow!

Bit awkward then. Country living sounds nice but I'd need to be near a big town or City rather than be in the middle of nowhere. 

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

With no sarcasm, I bow to your better knowledge of all things financial, but we are indeed the 7th/8th richest club in the world. Or are we????

1.  Pretty sure the 2017/18 data (8th) is the latest available.  7th would have been earlier.  The 18/19 figures will not be better

2.  The numbers show income which is not the same as ability to spend.  Our trouble is with massive over investment in about 60 players all who could be or have been in our squad, and all are on squad wages or close to it, we really only have limited funds to spend, while having 6 blank spaces in the A team.  
Compare that with Liverpool or Spurs who have perhaps 2 A team spaces unfilled and a minimal squad.  We are currently Arsenal of the last 14 years.

3. There remains a massive gap between us and the top 4 in income, and a small gap between us and City/PSG (which is irrelevant because they spend what they like).

Of course we can compete with 7th, 9th, and 10th and even recently Man U (3rd) for PL top 4 place).  And we were 3rd last year with a handful of top class players in a crap squad.  A cler success as noted by most on here.
But we aren't competing at the 80+ point level on this budget, nor can we expect to except as a rare upswing on the yoyo.
And we are nowhere near competing for CL or at the 90+ level for the Prem.

There are clubs with those finances.  We are not one of them.

(If you want to play semantics and simply say we are in top 10 we must be a rich club, the answer is simple - we were 3rd in the Prem and winners of the EL.  That makes us one of the most successful clubs in the world already.)

kev61   
5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Bit awkward then. Country living sounds nice but I'd need to be near a big town or City rather than be in the middle of nowhere. 

I would rather be based in the country(not necessarily this country)but we would have funds to rent for the rest of our lives with a some left over.It doesn't make sense Nobly and it worries me.

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

1.  Pretty sure the 2017/18 data (8th) is the latest available.  7th would have been earlier.  The 18/19 figures will not be better

2.  The numbers show income which is not the same as ability to spend.  Our trouble is with massive over investment in about 60 players all who could be or have been in our squad, and all are on squad wages or close to it, we really only have limited funds to spend, while having 6 blank spaces in the A team.  
Compare that with Liverpool or Spurs who have perhaps 2 A team spaces unfilled and a minimal squad.  We are currently Arsenal of the last 14 years.

3. There remains a massive gap between us and the top 4 in income, and a small gap between us and City/PSG (which is irrelevant because they spend what they like).

Of course we can compete with 7th, 9th, and 10th and even recently Man U (3rd) for PL top 4 place).  And we were 3rd last year with a handful of top class players in a crap squad.  A cler success as noted by most on here.
But we aren't competing at the 80+ point level on this budget, nor can we expect to except as a rare upswing on the yoyo.
And we are nowhere near competing for CL or at the 90+ level for the Prem.

There are clubs with those finances.  We are not one of them.

(If you want to play semantics and simply say we are in top 10 we must be a rich club, the answer is simple - we were 3rd in the Prem and winners of the EL.  That makes us one of the most successful clubs in the world already.)

Thank you for your insight. But re your last point, I'm really not playing semantics, I just wanted to know if we were still considered rich or not. And I wasn't comparing success with wealth coz that would be silly. Were Leicester considered one of the richest clubs in the world when they won the Prem? 

4 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I would rather be based in the country(not necessarily this country)but we would have funds to rent for the rest of our lives with a some left over.It doesn't make sense Nobly and it worries me.

I understand exactly what you mean. Unless you are hell bent on leaving your kids the house to help them have an easier life their seems little point in struggling. Have you considered Equity Release though.?

My mum and Dad have just released 25k and the interest rates are actually very fair (not like they once were). 

kev61   

The thing is I have talked with many fans in portugal and the vast majority are glad Sarri is gone - what say you the 'remainers'?.

6 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Thank you for your insight. But re your last point, I'm really not playing semantics, I just wanted to know if we were still considered rich or not. And I wasn't comparing success with wealth coz that would be silly. Were Leicester considered one of the richest clubs in the world when they won the Prem? 

So we are not rich compared to places 1 to 4.  We cannot spend like places 5 & 6.  We are one of the next 4 at the next level.

That is why I keep saying we are a yoyo club, like Spurs or Liverpool.  If by chance we get a few decisions right and have a good core of players, we can go out for 2 seasons and spend on the key ingredients that might make us win a trophy (think Drogba, Costa, Fabregas).  But not for long, and rebuilding might take a long time.

Yes we can challenge for Prem or CL one year in 5, but not every year and we have to respect our limitations.