• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

2 minutes ago, jangz said:

or.. Manager was brought in to play a certain attractive type of football which he completely failed to.. we stumbled and stuttered and Hazard had a surreal season contributing to 40% of the teams goals.. He brought CHO into first team so great that he submitted a transfer request in Jan and hasnt still signed..  I really dont know where the Hazard piece comes from... I haven't posted anything about him..

I think you just said it.  QED.

4 minutes ago, jangz said:

Maybe the board not supporting Sarri could be the fact that they did not see him as successful as some in here.

Listen there are two reason why people criticise this point of view and the others like them.  One is that they are clearly borne of a distaste for Sarri which ignores all events.
But the other is that they come across as someone making desperate excuses for their own errors.  Don't do it for your own sake.

kev61   
On 17/07/2019 at 5:20 PM, Ham said:

Seriously Martin, Paul, Ghost and Droy..... Why do you all have to churn out the exact same opinions on Sarri and Conte every month en masse? 

You aren't going to drown out other views on Sarri or change people's opinions so just suck it up. Agree to disagree and move on. 

Ham they are a cabal - feeding off each other's nonsense who are plugged into the one brain like an extention lead into a main socket that needs re- wiring( is that personal?)sorry.

Sarri has already upset untouchable Ronaldo. Wonder how long that will last.

On 18/07/2019 at 11:18 PM, Droy was my hero said:

I think a lot struggle with that.  Some "opinions" are shameful. 

And then... 

On 18/07/2019 at 11:34 PM, JaneB said:

In your opinion.

Surprised by this response, Jane. Is your position that some opinions aren't shameful? Or vindictive, or lacking in sense or evidence? I can't imagine it is. 

Anyone can have whatever opinion they want, but no-one is obliged to pretend any opinion is worth listening to. Genuinely weird when anyone here equates having their opinion challenged with not being allowed to have an opinion at all.

For my part, I'd be happy for the Sarri discussion to end. I think the opinions 'I didn't like him' and 'I prefer other managers' have legs, but there really isn't any sensible debate left to be had about whether or not he was any good. The measurable evidence is overwhelmingly clear on that. 

Ham   

Funny how selective people can be on which opinions are shameful and which they are entitled to.

Take certain players like Barkley and certain managers who were equally as successful with us like Benitez (3rd place and EL trophy). 

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

Funny how selective people can be on which opinions are shameful and which they are entitled to.

Take certain players like Barkley and certain managers who were equally as successful with us like Benitez (3rd place and EL trophy). 

I don't think there is anything shameful in thinking Barkley isn't much of a footballer, at least not from his 2nd season here.

And there is not much to say to anyone who says "they really don't like Sarri" and leaves it at that.  (Or Benitez, we know who you mean).

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I think the opinions 'I didn't like him' and 'I prefer other managers' have legs, but there really isn't any sensible debate left to be had about whether or not he was any good.

TVF gets it right here, and it is precisely because I hate benitez that you won't find any comments on this forum from me claiming he is a crap manager.  
Indeed I don't think a single person on this forum has ever said "I have no prejudice against Benitez but I am convinced he is a crap manager".  It would be a foolish thing to say and invite derision.

The point extends to our recent title winning managers too.  Opinions about there quality are subject to the facts of our successes.  There is far less real information available about their characters, so people can pretty much say what they like.

2 hours ago, Ham said:

No, it isn't. They aren't different things. You're entitled to have a shameful opinion. You're just not entitled to never having that opinion challenged. 

Bringing up Benitez damages the point I think you're trying to make. No one worth listening to thinks he's a crap manager. That has absolutely no baring on whether or not Chelsea fans like him. Difference is that most Chelsea fans who don't like Benitez will tell you as much and be confident enough in that position to leave it at that. 

Ham   
8 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

No, it isn't. They aren't different things. You're entitled to have a shameful opinion. You're just not entitled to never having that opinion challenged. 

Bringing up Benitez damages the point I think you're trying to make. No one worth listening to thinks he's a crap manager. That has absolutely no baring on whether or not Chelsea fans like him. Difference is that most Chelsea fans who don't like Benitez will tell you as much and be confident enough in that position to leave it at that. 

Granted it's all about opinions but I'm still not sure what specifically Droy considered to be shameful aside from one, maybe two posters who went too far, too many times on Sarri. 

People keep saying Barkley is a crap footballer and that's patently untrue. They don't get hammered by the same people who defend Sarri. 

My point on Benitez was more to do with the fact that many had poisonous things to say about him and nobody was bothered. After the EL win my opinion softened on him considerably. 

Many never took to Sarri.  Some already had an opinion of him before he arrived because of things he'd said and done in the past. Just like Benitez. 

Why are the two viewed so differently by so many? Oh boohoo Benitez called us plastic. 

xCELERYx   
9 minutes ago, Ham said:

Granted it's all about opinions but I'm still not sure what specifically Droy considered to be shameful aside from one, maybe two posters who went too far, too many times on Sarri. 

People keep saying Barkley is a crap footballer and that's patently untrue. They don't get hammered by the same people who defend Sarri. 

My point on Benitez was more to do with the fact that many had poisonous things to say about him and nobody was bothered. After the EL win my opinion softened on him considerably. 

Many never took to Sarri.  Some already had an opinion of him before he arrived because of things he'd said and done in the past. Just like Benitez. 

Why are the two viewed so differently by so many? Oh boohoo Benitez called us plastic. 

Because one had a reputation of entertaining attacking play (although, replicating it here failed miserably). While the other had a reputation of being more cautious and calculated in their approach. 

More leeway is given apparently based on the level of attacking inten had. Helps brush all the individual imperfections and team problems under the proverbial carpet. 

40 minutes ago, Ham said:

Actually I was speaking very generally.  I was trying to kill off the "It's only an opinion, you can't attack me for an opinion" excuse that comes up from time to time.
I tried to explain it next post to Jane:

On 7/19/2019 at 0:00 AM, Droy was my hero said:

Well some opinions are quite illegal to express on a public forum.  It isn't me who decides that.
And a lot of opinions can expect to be derided if expressed on here.  Try to say Women's football is at a rubbish standard - guaranteed to get shouted down that is - I know, I have tried.  

40 minutes ago, Ham said:

I think enough people do think he is crap while probably being a lovely lad, to make "patently untrue" a big exaggeration.

22 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

I think you miss the point here.  Pretty much everyone finds themselves able to dislike Tubby.  Some of us are even quite proud of the fact.  But what no one I have ever heard has said is that we dislike Tubby because he was a poor manager at Chelsea.  Yes it is pure vindictiveness by me and others, and to be honest it is quite fun.  And I feel absolutely no shame or embarrassment in claiming that I dislike him.  Nor any need to make up stories to cover up for it.

Yet the distaste for Sarri is constantly being backed up by truly bizarre excuses.  And everyone claims that there is no dislike, just that Sarri did this wrong or that wrong, or only got that right because players rebelled or he was told what to do by the board.

It is the absurdity of the position that grates most of all.  

Edited by Droy was my hero