• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

JaneB   
4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

And then... 

Surprised by this response, Jane. Is your position that some opinions aren't shameful? Or vindictive, or lacking in sense or evidence? I can't imagine it is. 

Anyone can have whatever opinion they want, but no-one is obliged to pretend any opinion is worth listening to. Genuinely weird when anyone here equates having their opinion challenged with not being allowed to have an opinion at all.

For my part, I'd be happy for the Sarri discussion to end. I think the opinions 'I didn't like him' and 'I prefer other managers' have legs, but there really isn't any sensible debate left to be had about whether or not he was any good. The measurable evidence is overwhelmingly clear on that. 

Do you know what?  I'd forgotten I'd even done that post and I should have known better than to get involved in a 'discussion' with Droy, The Ghost, Martin and Paul.

You're being a little censorious with me I think TVF.  All I was saying was that everyone is entitled to an opinion (I'm talking football here, not life and death) and if others disagree that's fine but you can't go around categorically stating that something is definitely wrong just because you think so.  Opinions are subjective that's the whole point.

And my last words on Sarri?  I'm pleased he's gone.  Was never keen although I guess another season could possibly have been justified.  I think we came 3rd in spite of him not because of him.  We have Hazard to thank.  He made some bonkers but sadly predictable substitutions at times (not to mention team selections), had not an ounce of charisma, made no effort with the supporters, his interviews were incomprehensible at times, made too many notes (must sort out the defence, must find a striker who can actually score), brought far too many of his own staff with him and the 60 a day smoking habit must have made it difficult for him to sit and concentrate for a full 90 minutes.  And was he really 'headhunted'?  Makes him sound like some potential gem of a young manager who few had heard of until someone at Juventus spied him and said My God, We've Got To Get This Guy!!!  He's Amazing!! Where's He Been Hiding?

I'll get slaughtered for saying all that (if anyone cares enough to read it) but it's my humble opinion, shameful, vindictive, lacking in sense or evidence as it might be (in others' opinions).  

Ham   
32 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Do you know what?  I'd forgotten I'd even done that post and I should have known better than to get involved in a 'discussion' with Droy, The Ghost, Martin and Paul.

You're being a little censorious with me I think TVF.  All I was saying was that everyone is entitled to an opinion (I'm talking football here, not life and death) and if others disagree that's fine but you can't go around categorically stating that something is definitely wrong just because you think so.  Opinions are subjective that's the whole point.

And my last words on Sarri?  I'm pleased he's gone.  Was never keen although I guess another season could possibly have been justified.  I think we came 3rd in spite of him not because of him.  We have Hazard to thank.  He made some bonkers but sadly predictable substitutions at times (not to mention team selections), had not an ounce of charisma, made no effort with the supporters, his interviews were incomprehensible at times, made too many notes (must sort out the defence, must find a striker who can actually score), brought far too many of his own staff with him and the 60 a day smoking habit must have made it difficult for him to sit and concentrate for a full 90 minutes.  And was he really 'headhunted'?  Makes him sound like some potential gem of a young manager who few had heard of until someone at Juventus spied him and said My God, We've Got To Get This Guy!!!  He's Amazing!! Where's He Been Hiding?

I'll get slaughtered for saying all that (if anyone cares enough to read it) but it's my humble opinion, shameful, vindictive, lacking in sense or evidence as it might be (in others' opinions).  

You're not getting slaughtered by me for that post.  Excellent stuff. 

Ham   
35 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Actually I was speaking very generally.  I was trying to kill off the "It's only an opinion, you can't attack me for an opinion" excuse that comes up from time to time.
I tried to explain it next post to Jane:

I think enough people do think he is crap while probably being a lovely lad, to make "patently untrue" a big exaggeration.

I think you miss the point here.  Pretty much everyone finds themselves able to dislike Tubby.  Some of us are even quite proud of the fact.  But what no one I have ever heard has said is that we dislike Tubby because he was a poor manager at Chelsea.  Yes it is pure vindictiveness by me and others, and to be honest it is quite fun.  And I feel absolutely no shame or embarrassment in claiming that I dislike him.  Nor any need to make up stories to cover up for it.

Yet the distaste for Sarri is constantly being backed up by truly bizarre excuses.  And everyone claims that there is no dislike, just that Sarri did this wrong or that wrong, or only got that right because players rebelled or he was told what to do by the board.

It is the absurdity of the position that grates most of all.  

So much wrong with this post.

You still haven't explained what was shameful so members can avoid doing it again. 

On Barkley, he simply isn't crap. He's a premier League footballer who plays for England.

On Sarri and Benitez you're a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

Step away from the cult of Sarri.  It's ridiculous. People are entitled to not rate him as a coach, a person or even both.  

As Jane says. In spite of, not because of. 

paulw66   

I hope Frank doesn't start making too many notes.... They'll soon turn. 

Ham   
4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Even now you make out like this was a major issue in order to feed the members of the cult of Sarri. 

I made a suggestion that he made continuous notes as a mechanism to deal with an ongoing 60 a day smoking habit. Not a criticism but an observation.

Deal with it. Some didn't take to him. Some did. 

kev61   
2 hours ago, Ham said:

Granted it's all about opinions but I'm still not sure what specifically Droy considered to be shameful aside from one, maybe two posters who went too far, too many times on Sarri. 

People keep saying Barkley is a crap footballer and that's patently untrue. They don't get hammered by the same people who defend Sarri. 

My point on Benitez was more to do with the fact that many had poisonous things to say about him and nobody was bothered. After the EL win my opinion softened on him considerably. 

Many never took to Sarri.  Some already had an opinion of him before he arrived because of things he'd said and done in the past. Just like Benitez. 

Why are the two viewed so differently by so many? Oh boohoo Benitez called us plastic. 

You are talking to the chattering classes Ham - you will never change their views.

kev61   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

By that remark you think Sarri was doing a good job and was hard done by? - then tell us what Sarri was good at except for 'sarri ball',initally,that was found out and he had no answer! except for luck and individual players.

2 hours ago, Ham said:

You still haven't explained what was shameful so members can avoid doing it again. 

Doh - I told you it was a general comments and that some things are illegal to state on a public forum.  Surely you don't want examples - holocaust denial perhaps.
I also explained that my point was about killing the "it's only an opinion" excuse.

2 hours ago, Ham said:

On Barkley, he simply isn't crap. He's a premier League footballer who plays for England.

So is Solanke.  Whatever.  All I can say is that I'm quite happy to have certain opinions challenged because  IMO they more than stand up to any criticism.
But at least this is a more legitimate difference of opinions than some and both of us are talking and meaning about the same thing.  You aren't saying he might not be much good but I like him.  And I am not saying well he might be alright but I hate him.  It is an honest disagreement.

2 hours ago, Ham said:

On Sarri and Benitez you're a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

Nonsense - I am being entirely honest about both. And not making any false claims about my feeling or judgement for either.  Perhaps you ought to write down exactly the things I am being hypocritical about - to clarify quite what you mean.

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Step away from the cult of Sarri.  It's ridiculous. People are entitled to not rate him as a coach, a person or even both.  

That is what Kev61 says about JM whenever he is short of an actual argument.  There is no cult of Sarri, just a decent bloke who had a decent season and then got a decent job at a slightly better club.

People are entitled to not rate him as a coach if they give credible reasons - none do.  People are entitled to dislike him as a person for no good reason at all - yet they invariably make up nonsense excuses.  *

2 hours ago, Ham said:

As Jane says. In spite of, not because of. 

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

I think we came 3rd in spite of him not because of him.

Jane, being the good person she is, has not made up fake arguments here, but she has made no argument at all.  She simply restated her belief. 

* I always go back to Malouda on fake arguments.  He was in his last year or two and there was a legitimate debate as to whether he was past it.  Then a few started to claim "he is a coward and bottles out of challenges".  That is the point that you know the pretence to intelligent debate has gone, and you are dealing with an unpleasant person who is happy to lie to win an argument on the internet.  Perhaps lying to himself along the way.  Very few here like that anymore I'm glad to say, bunch of

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

No notes for Frank, he is not a dinosaur, Frank will ask alexia 

I will get my coat. 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

kev61   
28 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Doh - I told you it was a general comments and that some things are illegal to state on a public forum.  Surely you don't want examples - holocaust denial perhaps.
I also explained that my point was about killing the "it's only an opinion" excuse.

So is Solanke.  Whatever.  All I can say is that I'm quite happy to have certain opinions challenged because  IMO they more than stand up to any criticism.
But at least this is a more legitimate difference of opinions than some and both of us are talking and meaning about the same thing.  You aren't saying he might not be much good but I like him.  And I am not saying well he might be alright but I hate him.  It is an honest disagreement.

Nonsense - I am being entirely honest about both. And not making any false claims about my feeling or judgement for either.  Perhaps you ought to write down exactly the things I am being hypocritical about - to clarify quite what you mean.

That is what Kev61 says about JM whenever he is short of an actual argument.  There is no cult of Sarri, just a decent bloke who had a decent season and then got a decent job at a slightly better club.

You know what Droy you amuse me  and I thank you for that - in football was the first ball round in your head?or was the world flat?