• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

43 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

I think there's still a huge role for him to play if not necessarily as first choice.

Thing is that Fabregas is a top top player.  The first 6 months of 14/15 were the best 6 months I have ever seen anyone play for Chelsea.  Better than any consecutive 6 month period or Drogba, Lampard or Hazard.  Just superb.  And he has been extremely good at other times.
Last season he seems to have said "Right, I'll prove the bastxxx wrong".

Is he ready to do that again?  Against Sarri's blue eyed boy, Jorginho.  Or will it be a case of "if I can't do it at Chelsea, I'll do it at Watford, or Brighton or somewhere else".

48 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

Certainly against lower level opposition, a midfield three of Fabregas, Kante and Jorginho could be very fun to watch. 

That would be nice, but I really doubt we will see it much, because the first 6 months will be about building the first choice team for big games, not about rotating for the tiddlers.
It'll be 16/17 again, where we were fitting the team to the managers ideas till late on when he finally worked out who was good and who should be sold.  I don't see why Fabregas should have to suffer that again.

10 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Thing is that Fabregas is a top top player.  The first 6 months of 14/15 were the best 6 months I have ever seen anyone play for Chelsea.  Better than any consecutive 6 month period or Drogba, Lampard or Hazard.  Just superb.  And he has been extremely good at other times.
Last season he seems to have said "Right, I'll prove the bastxxx wrong".

It's now 18/19 , four years on , from a season where he was found sorely wanting , not because of attitude or ability but because of age and physicality .

He's good but he's not that good anymore .

Edited by Mark Kelly

Leo91   

I certainly won't be losing any sleep if he was to be moved on this summer.

3 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

First interview with Sarri. 

https://streamable.com/0jcn0

Thanks Sam, I really enjoyed this. I thought he spoke very well and his English was much. much better than I'd been led to believe. Very encouraging.

1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

I love Fabregas, absolutely love him but in the here and now he's nowhere near as good as Jorginho, who is basically a far more mobile and far better defensive version of Fabregas. And the best part of 5 years younger.

I hope he stays but he will find it almost impossible to get in ahead of Jorghino. 

I doubt Jorginho or anyone is that good.  But if he is say 75% as good, then I really hope Fabregas goes somewhere else and terrifies defenders elsewhere than sits on the bench wasting all that talent for 75 mins a game.  Worse than having Cech on the bench for a season.

23 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's now 18/19 , four years on , from a season where he was found sorely wanting , not because of attitude or ability but because of age and physicality .

old and weak perhaps, he has still been our 2nd best defensive midfielder for 3 years, never mind the attacking talents.

48 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I would certainly be looking to keep players like Cesc and Cahill around just for the experience and attitude they have shown when dropped, even if they are no longer first choice. What will work against Cesc in that regard is that I think he is on massive wages, although we could find it hard to shift him for the same reason.

I think he still has a part to play and a midfield 3 suits him better, I saw a stat comparison and he was way ahead in chances created or key passes per game in comparison to Jorginho. Also had the same number of assists in league action despite playing less.

From the Sarri interview slightly worried about the emphasis on enjoying themselves, does not seem to have that steely determination to win that Jose and Conte had which led to trophies. I know some here are happy for entertaining football over trophies, hopefully that won't be put to the test!

I don't see any reason to be worrying about that at all. A happy workforce is a better performing workforce in any field of endeavour and, in football in particular, offering the players an attacking, positive playing style is certainly likely to be far more enjoyable than the alternative of caution, inhibition and having creative ambition comparatively shackled. That greater enjoyment is very likely to lead to a more productive output I think and will come as a welcome relief after last year's torture and the strictures of other previous years.

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

old and weak perhaps, he has still been our 2nd best defensive midfielder for 3 years, never mind the attacking talents.

I just think it might be a bit too much now , you never know , he's always been a clever player Sarri may be able to tweak things to get the best out of him , we can hope.

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I doubt Jorginho or anyone is that good.  But if he is say 75% as good, then I really hope Fabregas goes somewhere else and terrifies defenders elsewhere than sits on the bench wasting all that talent for 75 mins a game.  Worse than having Cech on the bench for a season.

As I have said I absolutely love Fabregas.  I have stuck up for him countless times on here. 

However Jorginho is quite simply a far better all round player. He has all of Cesc's strengths but is much more mobile than him and is a lot better defensively. 

I hope we find a way to play them both. Sarri played 433 with very particular roles for the three in midfield. We might not have or be able to get the right player to play what would have been the number 8 role in that side so he may have to tweak things. 

The choice may well be something like Kante, Jorginho and Loftus Cheek in a three man midfield or Kante and Jorginho in the pivot with Cesc as a number 10 in a 4231. 

16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I just think it might be a bit too much now , you never know , he's always been a clever player Sarri may be able to tweak things to get the best out of him , we can hope.

10 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

As I have said I absolutely love Fabregas.  I have stuck up for him countless times on here. 

However Jorginho is quite simply a far better all round player. He has all of Cesc's strengths but is much more mobile than him and is a lot better defensively. 

I hope we find a way to play them both. Sarri played 433 with very particular roles for the three in midfield. We might not have or be able to get the right player to play what would have been the number 8 role in that side so he may have to tweak things. 

If Jorginho is the better player then lets just get Fabregas to a team he can make 30+ starts for.  I don't want to see him running around as an AM for the last 20 mins of a handful of games.

Moreover, I'm very much of the mind that we are planning for 2021, not 18/19.  It is one thing seeing Giroud or Pedro playing out his last years, knowing they'll be replaced before the team reaches its peak.  But I'd rather Fabregas goes now.  Like Lampard, much better a year early than a year late.

1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

From the Sarri interview slightly worried about the emphasis on enjoying themselves, does not seem to have that steely determination to win that Jose and Conte had which led to trophies.

The one thing that used to emerge from every player interview about the early JM days, is just how much fun they had playing for him.  To a large extent it is still true.
I don't see having fun as being a problem.  
Teasing an opponent by playing defensively because your best chance of winning comes from them making a mistake is dull.
Teasing an opponent into making mistakes, when you know you could smash bang wallop a couple of goals in 10 minutes if you wanted to is fun.