• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

Recommended Posts

Fabregas, Cahill, Giroud, Pedro and Luiz (plus both our keepers) are all out of contract next summer. Their resale value is minimal (Luiz a possible exception) so they'd be best used as squad players before a bigger overhaul next summer. I don't see any reason to let them go.

Though the idea of a 2019 summer overhaul assumes that the owner will buck the recent trend and back the head coach ahead of his second season. Three or four players this summer then 5 next year, possibly including loanees, would give Sarri a season to get to know the league and get us back into the top 4. Then we'll expect to challenge in 2019/20. I don't see us waiting until 2021 to challenge again.

I quite liked the idea of Fabregas tutoring Mount as his successor but as Mount seems likely to be loaned that's never going to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Fabregas, Cahill, Giroud, Pedro and Luiz (plus both our keepers) are all out of contract next summer. Their resale value is minimal (Luiz a possible exception) so they'd be best used as squad players before a bigger overhaul next summer. I don't see any reason to let them go.

Sure, though they are all on big wages.  If they go it should be out of kindness (something the club does pretty well), and because this year is not a year we will aim to win the PL.

16 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I quite liked the idea of Fabregas tutoring Mount as his successor but as Mount seems likely to be loaned that's never going to happen. 

Mount strikes me as much more of a goal scoring AM than the font of all things creative.  If he is going to be in the squad for 19/20, he needs to be on loan anyway.  If he isn't it doesn't matter what he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good interview, but I kept hoping someone would throw him a towel to wipe his face.

His English grammar and vocab are surprisingly good for a Latin chap. They find English very very difficult to grasp. Conte's didn't improve one jot in two years. 

First task, get Hazard interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
58 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Good interview, but I kept hoping someone would throw him a towel to wipe his face.

His English grammar and vocab are surprisingly good for a Latin chap. They find English very very difficult to grasp. Conte's didn't improve one jot in two years. 

First task, get Hazard interested.

Didn't he live in London for a while and work in the city in banking?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ham said:

Didn't he live in London for a while and work in the city in banking?  

There is a quote that said he worked in Zurich, Luxembourg and London, but nothing to say it was long.
And having worked for an Italian Bank in the noughties, I can tell you that Italians don't have to speak much English to get sent abroad.  
But the important thing is not how fast or fluently he speaks English, but whether he can think through his answers before he speaks.  My impression is he can.
So long as Zola doesn't teach him what a rent boy is, he should be OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

 

I quite liked the idea of Fabregas tutoring Mount as his successor but as Mount seems likely to be loaned that's never going to happen. 

Hasn't he already gone to Derby with Lamps or am I confused ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Hasn't he already gone to Derby with Lamps or am I confused ?

To be confirmed tomorrow apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

From the Sarri interview slightly worried about the emphasis on enjoying themselves, does not seem to have that steely determination to win that Jose and Conte had which led to trophies. I know some here are happy for entertaining football over trophies, hopefully that won't be put to the test!

At least he is honest about it. I don’t think he is a natural winner like Jose or Conte. I am warming to Sarri. He is very blunt about his primary goal. I don’t think winning is that goal. I don’t think winning is the primary goal for Pochettino or Klopp or Emery either.. 

Jose or Pep or Conte or Zizou or Simeone - I think these guys they live and breathe for winning primarily. 

Sarri might yet impact the club greatly even without winning but I don’t know, however, if fans will be ok to be stuck losing yearly like Arsenal or Liverpool or Spurs tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   
4 hours ago, Ham said:

Didn't he live in London for a while and work in the city in banking?  

God that raises one's hackles right away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   

I wonder what members think who are the 'glue'  players in the team - in that I mean players that are stuck on to be starters.Imo Hazard,Willian,Azpi and Kante are the only ones.We will probably lose Hazard - Kante and Willian could go as well leaving us with Azpi.

I think we have as big a challenge as when Conte took over if not more...not optimistic but hopeful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now