• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

kev61   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

My guess, Kev, is pretty much any club interested in winning things. Jose's record over many years speaks for itself, despite you bagging him at every opportunity. Be a brave man that predicts that he won't do it again......:).

Porto[227]

220px-Mourinho_aug_2014.jpg

Mourinho on the touchline against Leicester City in August 2014

Chelsea

Inter Milan[227]

Real Madrid[227]

Manchester United

Individual

Very impressive but Muhammad ali(the greatest sportsman of all time imo)had a shelf life - Mourhino is a joke and not a very nice person - some could see his demise Michael and you did imo - you're just trying to be controversial? no?.

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

Very impressive but Muhammad ali(the greatest sportsman of all time imo)had a shelf life - Mourhino is a joke and not a very nice person - some could see his demise Michael and you did imo - you're just trying to be controversial? no?.

No mate, it's not as clear cut as that. I think that he brought sack on himself at United, but that doesn't make him a joke - he's simply achieved so much, as his record shows. Yes, everybody has a shelf life I guess, but I wouldn't bet against JM hitting the big time again, and winning more trophies. 

6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

No mate, it's not as clear cut as that. I think that he brought sack on himself at United, but that doesn't make him a joke - he's simply achieved so much, as his record shows. Yes, everybody has a shelf life I guess, but I wouldn't bet against JM hitting the big time again, and winning more trophies. 

I think it's possible he could do that, but I really think he needs to take some time out the game, he just looks exhausted and frustrated by it all. I also think he needs to go away and study some of the current top managers to see how he can adjust his game as I don't think he's adjusted fully to the latest version of 'modern football'.

Clearly the guys is a very good manager, a short term manager, but a very good manager all the same. 

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

GURJ SS   

Jose had a totally different problem at Chelsea the second time round, he had the same problem Conte had, and now the same problem Sarri has. The difference is at the start both Jose and Conte did what was needed to make sure they keep their job for the first year at least, they got silverware; but the moment they started to change things up the squad went against the manager. This squad does not want change or competition, how many signings have we made where a player has come in and forced someone to the bench? The sign of strengthening is when someone comes in and makes the team stronger, instead what we've done is got backup players to keep the first team players happy.

The decision is simple: we either put faith in the manager and have a rebuild or we make one of the squad players a player-manager. As a club we're being unfair on managers coming here and getting disrespected by the players, these players have left our reputation in tatters.

Jasonb   
2 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Jose had a totally different problem at Chelsea the second time round, he had the same problem Conte had, and now the same problem Sarri has. The difference is at the start both Jose and Conte did what was needed to make sure they keep their job for the first year at least, they got silverware; but the moment they started to change things up the squad went against the manager. This squad does not want change or competition, how many signings have we made where a player has come in and forced someone to the bench? The sign of strengthening is when someone comes in and makes the team stronger, instead what we've done is got backup players to keep the first team players happy.

The decision is simple: we either put faith in the manager and have a rebuild or we make one of the squad players a player-manager. As a club we're being unfair on managers coming here and getting disrespected by the players, these players have left our reputation in tatters.

Agree with the bold, yet wasn't it Eva-gate rather than player changes that sunk JM?

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Every project starts with appointing the right man for the project. Jose the right man first time around. His appointment for the second spell was a wrong one. Yes, he won us another PL title. But we were in a different phase at the time. We had finally won the CL as a club. And we had players who were not particularly in awe of Jose Mourhino (and that spells trouble). And the small matter of the fans, who wanted the manager to build for the future, play some football, integrate young players into the team - KDB, homegrown, etc. I looked at all these angles the day JM was appointed the second time and decided he would do well to last 2 seasons. I was not far off the mark. 

Edited by Blue Rod

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

As you suggest some managers brings things on themselves, just by being themselves or wanting change for the sake of doing something different than the last bloke.

Also the power and influence of players and that sort of things has been going on for over 30 years.

A great reminder of both the above and that just because you get sacked and publicly humiliated doesn't mean you cannot go onto achieve great or greater things is shown in the Austin Mitchell interview with Brian Clough (who'd earlier in the day been sacked by Leeds Utd) and the new England and former and last Leeds manager Don Revie in 1974 on ITV. Was reminded of it earlier in the day, in a radio interview.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iTiIdbDBmZc

Player power influencing the board good and strong in 1974 and alive and kicking since.

I find it a fascinating watch, possibly because as a young lad I remember the outline events, but wasn't old enough to understand.

Not too much love lost between Clough & Revie.

Edited by East Lower

7 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Not too much love lost between Clough & Revie.

A significant understatement there I reckon EL.

8 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

A significant understatement there I reckon EL.

After watching the interview earlier today, I think Revie was at least 'helping' 'ole big-head' out of a job, if not the conductor of the orchestra.

39 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I looked at all these angles the day JM was appointed the second time and decided he would do well to last 2 seasons. I was not far off the mark. 

Finally some sense, if an understatement; Mourinho did fantastically to last as long as he did here. Outlasting managers at any of the high-stakes jobs he's taken is absolutely one of his strengths. 

(Imagine patting yourself on the back for predicting a Chelsea manager will be gone within 2 years of appointment)