• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

BlueFizz   
14 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

Due to the late arrival of both Sarri and those at the World Cup, not to mention the big change in style, I see it being a slow start to the season before we begin to see the new manager implement his ideas. I would be surprised if Sarri does not see the benefit of utilising an experienced player already educated in similar ideas who has proven himself a leader on and off the pitch.  

I think this has been overplayed - particularly by the media.

Sarri was here after abour four days of pre-season for non-world cup players - so wasn’t very  ‘late’. One might also assume he gave the club ideas about what he wanted in the early stages - mainly tests and fitness work.

And many other clubs will suffer from the delayed return of world cup players.

I also think that if all the ‘players sick of Conte’ stuff is true then the squad will grab Sarri’s alternative with enthusiasm. These are also pro footballers - most of them absorb tactical instructions easily.

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, kev61 said:

I wonder what members think who are the 'glue'  players in the team - in that I mean players that are stuck on to be starters.Imo Hazard,Willian,Azpi and Kante are the only ones.We will probably lose Hazard - Kante and Willian could go as well leaving us with Azpi.

I think we have as big a challenge as when Conte took over if not more...not optimistic but hopeful.

Glue players in a broader range is a worry, do we even have any left these days? Kante and Azpilicueta are probably the only two now, with Cahill a possible third. 

In terms of locked in starters I think only Azpilicueta, Kante and Hazard are deserving. Everyone else should be earning their place. 

bert19   
1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

Glue players in a broader range is a worry, do we even have any left these days? Kante and Azpilicueta are probably the only two now, with Cahill a possible third. 

In terms of locked in starters I think only Azpilicueta, Kante and Hazard are deserving. Everyone else should be earning their place. 

Could you put Rudiger and Alonso pretty close to the "nailed on starter" category too?  Both largely very good last season and Rudiger finished it really well. 

2 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

I think this has been overplayed - particularly by the media.

Sarri was here after abour four days of pre-season for non-world cup players - so wasn’t very  ‘late’. One might also assume he gave the club ideas about what he wanted in the early stages - mainly tests and fitness work.

And many other clubs will suffer from the delayed return of world cup players.

I also think that if all the ‘players sick of Conte’ stuff is true then the squad will grab Sarri’s alternative with enthusiasm. These are also pro footballers - most of them absorb tactical instructions easily.

You are right in that last week was likely fitness work however there is no doubt we are playing catch up. Besides Arsenal our main rivals will already be adapted to their managers way of thinking and so the returning players main focus will be match fitness and not learning a new way of playing. 

This quote from Chalobah who of course spent a year under Sarri on loan gives an insight into the level of detail his methods require. 

The full Chalobah interview on his time at Napoli is well worth a listen.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/nathaniel-chalobahs-year-in-naples/id1324498249?I=1000411662482&mt=2

8 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

At least he is honest about it. I don’t think he is a natural winner like Jose or Conte. I am warming to Sarri. He is very blunt about his primary goal. I don’t think winning is that goal. I don’t think winning is the primary goal for Pochettino or Klopp or Emery either.. 

Jose or Pep or Conte or Zizou or Simeone - I think these guys they live and breathe for winning primarily. 

Sarri might yet impact the club greatly even without winning but I don’t know, however, if fans will be ok to be stuck losing yearly like Arsenal or Liverpool or Spurs tbh.

I don't think we need a natural winner right now. We need a re-builder, and enjoyment should be a core element of that.
Bring back JM mk3 (or equiv.)  when the team is ready and not before then.

BlueFizz   
31 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't think we need a natural winner right now. We need a re-builder, and enjoyment should be a core element of that.

I tend to agree.

I would also point out that he won something fairly significant (if not silver with handles) for Napoli the last few seasons - qualification to the Champions League.

Sea foot   

I love the bit about practicing throw ins. It's been a frustrating thing to watch for years going back to AC. We seem to think that a throw in is a natural break for players. No movement, no hurry to put the opposition on the back foot and genarally the ball goes back to the oppo players who always seem to be awake. 

Wonder if he has been looking at some of our loan players with a view to bringing them back.

bert19   
38 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

I love the bit about practicing throw ins. It's been a frustrating thing to watch for years going back to AC. We seem to think that a throw in is a natural break for players. No movement, no hurry to put the opposition on the back foot and genarally the ball goes back to the oppo players who always seem to be awake. 

All of our set-pieces need work I think.  We used to be so potent from attacking set-pieces and last season we had Fabregas taking a lot of corners and nothing came of them.  Given Alonso's potency with a dead-ball, shouldn't he be taking at least some of the corners and wide free-kicks? 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I tend to disagree on this. I think that enjoyment and winning can go hand in hand. Players definitely enjoy playing for the managers I listed (maybe excluding Conte). 

From a personal point of view, I have realized that a focused leader and a  pressurized work environment yield the best results.