• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

46 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

I love the bit about practicing throw ins. It's been a frustrating thing to watch for years going back to AC. We seem to think that a throw in is a natural break for players. No movement, no hurry to put the opposition on the back foot and genarally the ball goes back to the oppo players who always seem to be awake. 

I didn't know Chalobah played FB there!

As a kid playing school rugby in the 1970s, I recall one day the wingers stopped taking the throw-ins, and suddenly the hookers took them all.  I couldn't work out if it was just our school, or if everyone changed at the same time, or if there had been a rule change.
Next season could be deja vu if Sarri allows non FBs to take throw-ins.

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

All of our set-pieces need work I think.  We used to be so potent from attacking set-pieces and last season we had Fabregas taking a lot of corners and nothing came of them.  Given Alonso's potency with a dead-ball, shouldn't he be taking at least some of the corners and wide free-kicks? 

Could it be linked to the departure of Steve Holland? In Conte's first season we were very good from set-plays and I recall the highest scoring team in the league in this area. Last season it seemed we stopped even trying with almost every corner taken short to Hazard or Willian. Must have been frustrating for Cahill and the rest running the length of the pitch and not getting an opportunity to attack anything. Worth noting the Steve Holland coached England scored 9 goals from set-pieces at the World cup.

bert19   
2 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

Could it be linked to the departure of Steve Holland? In Conte's first season we were very good from set-plays and I recall the highest scoring team in the league in this area. Last season it seemed we stopped even trying with almost every corner taken short to Hazard or Willian. Must have been frustrating for Cahill and the rest running the length of the pitch and not getting an opportunity to attack anything. Worth noting the Steve Holland coached England scored 9 goals from set-pieces at the World cup.

Good point.  Hadn't thought of that. 

I don't mind the odd short corner, but last season, you could see teams knew we were going to do it and were happy to let us have the ball out wide.  A bit of variation and unpredictably is good, but we need to work on crosses being whipped in with a bit of pace for the likes of Rudiger, Morata, Giroud, Cahill etc to attack. 

11 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

Worth noting the Steve Holland coached England scored 9 goals from set-pieces at the World cup.

I think Steve Holland had a lot to do with our Set piece success and England's.

It would be nice if he came back - I gather Sarri is not going to get many of his staff to follow him.  Napoli won't let them go (no should they).

16 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think Steve Holland had a lot to do with our Set piece success and England's.

It would be nice if he came back - I gather Sarri is not going to get many of his staff to follow him.  Napoli won't let them go (no should they).

Seems more likely than Gareth Southgate suddenly becoming an NFL style set-piece coaching expert. England looked genuinely dangerous and caused huge problems to every opponent from dead ball situations. 

It's worth also noting the players are too stupid to make their own decisions.

kev61   
On 16/07/2018 at 6:06 PM, Droy was my hero said:

The one thing that used to emerge from every player interview about the early JM days, is just how much fun they had playing for him.

Oh those halcyon days! when Jose was full of the joys of spring and made us laugh with gay abandon...now?.

Who is actually coaching the players at the moment? - we don't seem to have announced any other staff and the official site still lists all of Conte's staff..... 

1 minute ago, JamesEsquire said:

Who is actually coaching the players at the moment? - we don't seem to have announced any other staff and the official site still lists all of Conte's staff..... 

I think it's Sarri, Cudicini, Eddie Newton and a couple of other 'non-Conte' coaches along with the fitness staff.

bert19   
7 minutes ago, JamesEsquire said:

Paulo Ferreira seems to be in the background of a fair few photos I've seen too.  Really glad Cudicini is still around, have a lot of time for him and his obvious affection for the club.  Would have been very sad if he'd ended up being cut with Conte leaving.  

Also, I read something about Andy Myers taking over as U18 manager.  Could this mean Joe Edwards will now be working with the first team?