• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Zola Returns!

Former Chelsea and Italy striker Gianfranco Zola has returned to Stamford Bridge as assistant to new manager Maurizio Sarri.

As a player, Zola helped the club win two FA Cups, one Uefa Cup Winners' Cup, one Uefa Super Cup and one League Cup between 1996-2003.

"For me it is an amazing thing. I am pleased to be here," said Zola.

Zola, who resigned as Birmingham City manager in April 2017, has joined Chelsea's pre-season tour of Australia.

Absolutely delighted with this news. 

I know some aren't too keen as he has not done great as a manager but being an assistant is very different. 

As an attacking player how good would it be to have him coaching you? 

Just seeing him back at the bridge is going to be amazing.

GIAN - FRAN - CO  ZOLA

la la la la la la

Edited by Martin1905

It's brilliant news , one of our very best and a warm , humble , honourable man , welcome home Gian-Franco !

bert19   

Absolutely thrilled by this. One of those people that I'd always like to see kept close to the club in some way or another.  

paulw66   
53 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's brilliant news , one of our very best and a warm , humble , honourable man , welcome home Gian-Franco !

when we got the train back from Wolves away last season, Zola was on the same train, having just managed Birmingham to another defeat. He got bombarded at Euston to the point he got massively delayed on his journey home, which after being beaten 3-0 at home must have been bloody irritating. He was courteous though and I got a photo. Lovely bloke. 

Whatever we may think of Sarri, Franco coming back to the club is great news, I don't care that his managerial record isn't great, he's a number two, and as a player he was a legend here, and everyone here can identify with him.

Ham   
52 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

Whatever we may think of Sarri, Franco coming back to the club is great news, I don't care that his managerial record isn't great, he's a number two, and as a player he was a legend here, and everyone here can identify with him.

In true Ricky Gervais style I think he's officially Assistant to the General Manager rather than Assistant Manager.