• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Perth Glory 0 Chelsea 1

4 hours ago, jones said:

Good to hear :)

As for the front six you list, that is my wish too. But why Moses and Abraham? They will not get much of a look in, and Moses’ value will plummet with a bench season and Abraham needs a season scoring 10+ PL goals. Sell and loan.

Yesterday also indicated Barkley will be an AM option, and maybe even Golovin too if he arrives.This squad would do it for me.

It also means selling all the players that will never flourish under Sarri, even if they «could do a job».

37436A75-956D-4CC0-9C95-DB035366268F.jpeg

Close! 

The major differences being:

• I have 20 outfielders + Abraham, CHO and Ampadu, you have 18 outfielders + CHO and Ampadu - I reckon your squad is too small (1-2 players short)
  • Slightly worried by the lack of experience at CB - can't see why you want rid of Luiz? Think Luiz + Rugani with Rüdiger and Christensen as back-ups would be incredibly strong. 
  • No qualms buying Golovin at around £25m and selling both Bakayoko and Drinkwater for double. That in itself can help financing half of Higuain
  • Would be worried with only six players covering the front 3 - especially since Bats has struggled overall here and CHO is 17 yo. With the EL and LC games first half of the season I'd be prepared to let him (Abraham) stay and see how he gets on

With a potential 65 games season on the horizon (PL: 38 games, EL: 15 games, FAC: 6 games, LC: 6 games) I think it's a tad too light to go into the season with 18 senior outfielders and only four establised players among the top three (plus Bats and CHO). It would be a huge risk imo.  

jones   

Ok, people in here talk about these huge squads all the time, but no top team does that. Had to do an analysis to prove it, checked the squad for the two best teams in Italy, Spain and England, all of whom mainly line up in 4-3-3.

I only included players with more than 300 minutes and adjusted for January transfer replacements (meaning Alexis and Mnhitaryan is 1 player).

Napoli (50 games): 8 defenders, 6 midfielders, 6 forwards

Juventus (55): 8 defenders, 6 midfielders, 6 forwards 

Real Madrid (62): 8 defenders, 7 midfielders, 6 forwards 

Barcelona (59): 8 defenders, 7 midfielders, 6 forwards 

Man City (57): 9 defenders, 7 midfielders, 5 forwards

Man Utd (55 games): 10 defenders, 6 midfielders, 6 forwards

And all of these squads include young players like Mayoral, Adarabiayo, McTominay etc so Ampadu and CHO should be included in this set up.

Average: 8.5 defenders, 6.5 midfielders, 5.83 fowards -> 21 outfield players

So yeah, double cover plus one extra man seems to be the standard and what we realisically can expect. It is costly both financially and for squad morale to have too many dissatisfied players. Finding the right balance is key, and it should also be taken into consideration that very few managers rotate as little as Sarri. The 20 outfield squad I posted certainly is not unrealistic (even if you clearly could have an extra man in there as well).

paulw66   
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Close! 

The major differences being:

• I have 20 outfielders + Abraham, CHO and Ampadu, you have 18 outfielders + CHO and Ampadu - I reckon your squad is too small (1-2 players short)
  • Slightly worried by the lack of experience at CB - can't see why you want rid of Luiz? Think Luiz + Rugani with Rüdiger and Christensen as back-ups would be incredibly strong. 
  •  

Agreed. 

2 minutes ago, jones said:

Ok, people in here talk about these huge squads all the time, but no top team does that. Had to do an analysis to prove it, checked the squad for the two best teams in Italy, Spain and England, all of whom mainly line up in 4-3-3.

I only included players with more than 300 minutes and adjusted for January transfer replacements (meaning Alexis and Mnhitaryan is 1 player).

Napoli (50 games): 8 defenders, 6 midfielders, 6 forwards

Juventus (55): 8 defenders, 6 midfielders, 6 forwards 

Real Madrid (62): 8 defenders, 7 midfielders, 6 forwards 

Barcelona (59): 8 defenders, 7 midfielders, 6 forwards 

Man City (57): 9 defenders, 7 midfielders, 5 forwards

Man Utd (55 games): 10 defenders, 6 midfielders, 6 forwards

And all of these squads include young players like Mayoral, Adarabiayo, McTominay etc so Ampadu and CHO should be included in this set up.

So yeah, double cover plus one extra man seems to be the standard and what we realisically can expect. It is costly both financially and for squad morale to have too many dissatisfied players. Finding the right balance is key, and it should also be taken into consideration that very few managers rotate as little as Sarri. The 20 outfield squad I posted certainly is not unrealistic (even if you clearly could have an extra man in there as well).

When 2 of your 6 forwards include an unproven 17 year old, and a striker who we have no faith in, that exasporates the problem. 

CHO has to start as the 5th winger for me, and Bats or Abraham should be striker 3 (if either or both remain) which should still leave enough game time in the cups plus whatever league minutes. 

7 minutes ago, jones said:

+ 3GK, So 24 players should be enough, so long as we get no serious injuries, no player falls out with Sarri, no one's form drops off because his girlfriend ditches him or whatever etc etc.

30 should do it then. 

18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

+ 3GK, So 24 players should be enough, so long as we get no serious injuries, no player falls out with Sarri, no one's form drops off because his girlfriend ditches him or whatever etc etc.

30 should do it then. 

I haven't dug out all the stats, but the old Mourinho 1 433 squads were double cover + GK3 + ST3 (Carlton Cole?). I'd have the same this year with 20 core outfield players plus ST3 (Batshuayi or Abraham) and a GK3 (an U21 or an experienced, free, home grown player). The two outstanding 17 year olds should be in addition to this, making a total group of 26.

^ sure but

2 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

The two outstanding 17 year olds should be in addition to this, making a total group of 26.

To make 2 outstanding 17-20s available for the manager, you actually have to start with about 6 because you never know which will be on form when the manager is ready for them.  Generally it is simpler to send all 6 on loan, and keep 2 or 3 emergency youngsters, not the best ones.  Ideally 21 yo's ready to move to Championship of Div one permanently.

jones   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

30 should do it then. 

Has to be up there with your most ridiculous posts ever. Which says a lot.

35 minutes ago, jones said:

Has to be up there with your most ridiculous posts ever. Which says a lot.

I should have added that 'if we don't sign any more "Ali Dia's"'.
You're upset with me because I am the only person who takes your numbers theory as worth arguing with.
Nobody else even understands it.

jones   
3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I should have added that 'if we don't sign any more "Ali Dia's"'.
You're upset with me because I am the only person who takes your numbers theory as worth arguing with.
Nobody else even understands it.

??? I think why people are tired of you is because whenever someone tries to get a good discussion going, you are usually the first person to respond (wonder why) with a post that rubbishes whatever opinion is stated with some fantasy perception that makes zero sense to everyone except  you. 

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

^ sure but

To make 2 outstanding 17-20s available for the manager, you actually have to start with about 6 because you never know which will be on form when the manager is ready for them.  Generally it is simpler to send all 6 on loan, and keep 2 or 3 emergency youngsters, not the best ones.  Ideally 21 yo's ready to move to Championship of Div one permanently.

2 outstanding 17 year olds = Ampadu and Hudson-Odoi. Keep them with the first team this year and play them (maybe in the CC and EL at first). By next summer, if not well before, they'll replace Pedro and Cahill/Luiz. Then next summer you introduce a couple more youngsters. It's a more sustainable way of building a squad and allows you to focus the big money on top class ready talent.

Given that Hazard, Willian, Giroud, RLC, Cahill etc won't be back in training until around the Community Shield I'd expect Hudson-Odoi to start our first couple of official matches and Ampadu will be at least a sub.