• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Inter Milan 1 (Chelsea win 5-4 on penalties)

Recommended Posts

Sciatika   

Good idea. Let's play them at cricket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
20 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Good idea. Let's play them at cricket.

Ever tried explaining the laws of cricket to an Italian? There's a few hours I will never get back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Ever tried explaining the laws of cricket to an Italian? There's a few hours I will never get back. 

There's plenty of people in the UK that don't understand them, so I'm not surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the squad that's travelled: https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/7/27/blues-arrive-in-france

I hope we see Christensen and Rüdiger start, to establish them as our best central defensive partnership. Hopefully Abraham gets at least 45 mins to show he's more useful than Morata. Barkley should get first crack at no.8. Hudson-Odoi and Pedro start out wide, Musonda and Piazon are obviously covering for Hazard and Willian.

Amazingly there are 8 days until the Community Shield and we still have 8 players missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasonb   
3 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

From the squad that's travelled: https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/7/27/blues-arrive-in-france

I hope we see Christensen and Rüdiger start, to establish them as our best central defensive partnership. Hopefully Abraham gets at least 45 mins to show he's more useful than Morata. Barkley should get first crack at no.8. Hudson-Odoi and Pedro start out wide, Musonda and Piazon are obviously covering for Hazard and Willian.

Amazingly there are 8 days until the Community Shield and we still have 8 players missing.

I knew with it being a world cup season it would make things more difficult for Sarri and missing Hazard from pre-training and first week of PL is going to be tough, the only consolation is that City with De Bruyne and Utd with Lukaku have the same situation yet these two are playing the same system with the same manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/07/2018 at 0:34 PM, paulw66 said:

In 1995 I did my first school exchange to Milan........ when we got talking about football and one of us lot mentioned the team "Inter Milan" they genuinely didn't know whether it was Inter or Milan we were talking about. To them it was like someone saying, "I like Chelsea Fulham"

Whilst we're floating around the subject, AC Milan, or what they call "Milan" is called as such because the club was founded by an Englishman, hence the club name is the English word for Milano, and why they have a St Georges Cross on their badge. 

No the St George cross as you call it is the flag of the city of Milan. It is also the flag of Genoa and it is for that reason England has the St Georges cross (they brought it back after the crusades)


When I fly the English flag outside my house for the football it causes no offence as most think I am flying the flag of Milan

Edited by exiledblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

No the St George cross as you call it is the flag of the city of Milan. It is also the flag of Genoa and it is for that reason England has the St Georges cross (they brought it back after the crusades)


It was actually a 'commercial deal' as I understand it...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/05/England-owes-arrears-over-st-georges-cross-claims-genoa-mayor


St George is also the patron saint of Catalonia, hence why it's on the Barcelona crest, amongst many other places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The story reported here in Italy is that for safety when the boats stopped in Genoa enroute to the crusades they flew the Genoa flag to show they were not aggressors and the flag was taken home and adopted, making it one of the earliest national flags in the world

Football and history what a site this has become

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/07/2018 at 5:34 PM, paulw66 said:

In 1995 I did my first school exchange to Milan........ when we got talking about football and one of us lot mentioned the team "Inter Milan" they genuinely didn't know whether it was Inter or Milan we were talking about. To them it was like someone saying, "I like Chelsea Fulham"

Whilst we're floating around the subject, AC Milan, or what they call "Milan" is called as such because the club was founded by an Englishman, hence the club name is the English word for Milano, and why they have a St Georges Cross on their badge. 

https://www.inter.it/it/hp

I was looking at their website and it refers to the club as FC Internazionale Milano. I know that Italians have always called them Inter and I'm inclined to believe paulw66's expert knowledge - so did they tack on "Milano" at a later stage for the global audience? Like the suggested FC Chelsea London.

This is like Spaniards and Madrid - Real get called Madrid and the other team is always called Atletico. 

Edit: checked and they added Milano in 1967.

Edited by chiswickblue
Wikipedia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.