• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Arsenal 1 (Arsenal win 6-5 on penalties)

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't see the Jorginho-Fabregas comparison.  He moves it on quickly, but with none of the vision, distance or danger that Fabregas gives.  Not so much a more mobile Fabregas as a slightly less mobile Kante - not that that is a bad thing.

Neither do I. But did anyone seriously compare the two? 

Jorginho is a good player no doubt. Like you said, he moves it on very quickly and efficiently.

But to compare him to Fabregas really is very surprising because Fabregas, especially in his prime, is a totally different player. 

Credit to Pep, I suppose, for noticing that too because at one point people were calling Fabregas Vieira’s replacement and then, eventually, Xavi’s replacement IIRC. Very strange IMO.

One thing I will say is that despite all the horror stories before we signed him up , I am warming to the coach already , seems a very humble , thoughtful chap , he's been provoked into giving the media a soundbite regarding Willian's absence and his first reaction was to say before he answers he needs to speak to the player himself and find out what happened even though he was not happy with the situation , which I took to mean he wasn't happy to be without Willian even though the media are spinning it that he wasn't happy with Willian.

The football has also improved immensely , hopefully Bats or Giroud can come in and convert the chances Morata is missing , the penalty miss cannot have helped although in fairness Cech was on the six yard line when Morata struck the ball , however  the way CHO has started I can see Hazard in as a false nine flanked by CHO and Willian a bit like Dries Mertens role under Sarri at Napoli.

It's frustrating to be making the chances and not converting them and I'm still worried for Hazard that it could be Hazard FC once more with a lack of goals elsewhere but I suppose we should really wait and see what occurs when we get Kante and Hazard back in the side and we are in full flow .

I think we're in for a busy few days of the window as the board look to trim the fat and maybe get in some more attacking  players but I hope we keep Ampadu and CHO especially in the squad and for that matter the much maligned Danny Drinkwater who has barely had a chance at the club.

jones   

Think we completely outplayed them first 45 before players like Drinkwater, Moses, Bakayoko etc came on (who all should be sold). Think it was something like 10-3 in shots at HT, and a decent CF burries at least two of those chances. Imagine what Hazard and Kanté will add to this team. It is just the CF position that is worrying, and I can even see Batshuayi overtaking Morata as first choice (even if he has his flaws too). 

Sarri has impressed so far.

Positives from pre-season so far:

Hudson-Odoi - guy is gonna be world class, simple as that. Don't need to buy a winger. Play him, Hazard and Michy (or Martial if we get him) in a front three interchanging positions. Willian's replacement, already better than him. I'd play him above Willian if Willian stays.

Ampadu - the next JT. Mature way beyond his years, a leader, an organiser, top CB and great on the ball. Future captain.

Bulka - make him number two this season whilst Courtois runs down his contract, play him in Europa and cups, and give him number one spot next year. He's clearly got the ability and temparament.

Barkley - showing why we bought him. Working hard, making good runs, linking up play and creating chances. Sarri clearly believes in him and I think he's going to do well for us this season.

Jorginho - a master. Simple as that. Gave the ball away once in the three games he's played. In contrast, Bakayoko gave the ball away three times in his first 30 seconds of pre-season.

Zappacosta - looks a much better player in this system. Genuine competition at RB. Moses looks like he's being played as a winger.

Proved we have no need of Cahiill. Rudiger, Christensen, Luiz and Ampadu are all we need at CB, all better than him.

Negatives:

We're weak at LB. Alonso is shocking defensively and all our opponents best attacks come down his side. Emerson still needs to do more to convince.

Morata. Confidence shot and simply cannot finish. Has to go, need a new ST who can finish. If we'd had a striker who could finish we'd have got 3/4 goals yesterday. Need to kill games.

Bakayoko. Sell him. Not good enough.

Funny how people see differently.

I thought Barkley was useless, showed exactly why I don't think he will ever be good enough. 

His decision making and first touch is not much better than Bakayoko and he looses the ball just has much. Has he done anything meaningful in the last three games?

I would be amazed if our first choice midfield three is anything other than Kante, Jorginho and Fabregas. Clearly none of them will do what Hamsik did at Napoli but neither can anyone else in our squad. Unless we spend big on another midfielder they are by far and away our best midfielders and I can't see Sarri playing Loftus Cheek or Barkley and leaving Fabregas on the bench.

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Funny how people see differently.

I thought Barkley was useless, showed exactly why I don't think he will ever be good enough. 

His decision making and first touch is not much better than Bakayoko and he looses the ball just has much. Has he done anything meaningful in the last three games?

I would be amazed if our first choice midfield three is anything other than Kante, Jorginho and Fabregas. Clearly none of them will do what Hamsik did at Napoli but neither can anyone else in our squad. Unless we spend big on another midfielder they are by far and away our best midfielders and I can't see Sarri playing Loftus Cheek or Barkley and leaving Fabregas on the bench.

Barkley not useless for me, but not proving himself yet. 

We now have quite a few players who like to pick the ball up in midfield and drive forward with the ball while looking up to see where  Morata and others  are making runs.  Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Barkley, RLC and CHO*.  Which is very good.  Trouble is I have never seen Barkley or RLC do anything else.  They don't add much the the CM, and they don't make the runs for other people.

Maybe they can sometime, maybe their choice of final pass will get better.  But it hasn't happened yet.
(When Fabregas had the ball, did anyone notice Barkley turn away and make a run forward?  It seemed to me he generally turned back to take over as playmaker.  Curious if others thought the same - perhaps someone needs to give Barkley some youtube clips about Fabregas.) 

*CHO so far only from out wide which is fine,  Fabregas takes the ball forward, but mostly because everyone backs off to mark the runners rather than he, Essien style, is bullying his way forward.

To be totally honest and I know to say this on here is tantamount to heresy but I simply cannot see RLC ever becoming a top player , if it was down to me I'd throw him into a deal to get Zaha from Palace .

RLC has everything you would need to be an exceptional player except "it" , , the X factor that makes a player Frank Lampard or John Terry , there's something missing  , I can never see the appeal , he's OK but little more for me.

I'm off to get my tin hat on now.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

To be totally honest and I know to say this on here is tantamount to heresy but I simply cannot see RLC ever becoming a top player , if it was down to me I'd throw him into a deal to get Zaha from Palace .

RLC has everything you would need to be an exceptional player except "it" , , the X factor that makes a player Frank Lampard or John Terry , there's something missing  , I can never see the appeal , he's OK but little more for me.

I'm off to get my tin hat on now.

I've been  one of his biggest fans for a long time and have constantly said how good he is but I agree completely.  He's 23 soon, it's now or never for him.

42 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Barkley not useless for me, but not proving himself yet. 

Maybe useless was a bit strong but what we are seeing with Barkley is what he is. Not good enough. Some seem really happy with his pre season, I've been massively underwhelmed other than against Perth but they were a pub team.

36 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Same here.  I'd like to add I though the same about Josh McEachran.  But I also thought he same about Salah and KdB. 

To be fair once could say RLC, Salah and KdB I always doubted in terms of their not getting involved in the game much, never in terms of plain ability.

It isn't missing the penalty that bothers me (and I turned the recording off anyway).  But why was he 6th choice?  Everything everyone ever says about him describes a young cocky gunslinger, demanding to take the first one.  But when I watch him he constantly looks like he is volunteering for 6th place.