• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Manchester City 2

On 05/08/2018 at 0:42 PM, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

Right, I haven’t watched a minute of preseason (genuinely can’t be bothered with friendlies any more) but I’m quite up for this before the real stuff begins!

I expect us to win this today, seems like the philosophy at the club is reversing with Sarri’s appointment. Tough game but I think Man City will be at half pace.

COME ON YOU CHELS!!!

Ok that didn’t happen. Wow that was bad.

(I get that Sarri’s only recently joined so a huge adjustment period is only to be expected but it was still a pretty woeful performance)

10 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

A lot of people, myself excluded, want a more attacking approach and a higher press and a likeable manager with youth being given a chance instead of prioritizing a successful team. 

(Personally) I’ve never understood that. If we’re winning I don’t care if we’re likeable or attractive to watch. The Cup Final was a dreadful game of football - loved every minute of it.

I get it if it all adds up to consistent success but I don’t think there’s any guarantee of that. I’d happily accept pragmatism. 

(Yeah I’m fun at parties 😂)

19 minutes ago, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

Ok that didn’t happen. Wow that was bad.

(I get that Sarri’s only recently joined so a huge adjustment period is only to be expected but it was still a pretty woeful performance)

And strangely , if anyone looked at half pace it wasn't City. 

• Like 1

chara   

Strange game for me in many ways...the 1-0 loss a while back to Arse in the same fixture  and the goal that beat us left me very "hurt" and beaten..Yesterdays game was totally different. Being beaten didn't bother me so much..and I am a bad loser!...but the way of it..Citeh looked as if they could score if they could be bothered and Chelsea barely got a shot away that mattered..one good cross from Azi and the Tammy effort well smothered by Bravo..not my top keeper pick at any time!...defensive highlight was Moses playing a great ball out of defence to start an attack..only concern was it was out of the Citeh defence..sums a lot up....

Chelsea seemed so slow everywhere..in thought as well as pace..I'm all for playing out of defence but with some pace and an eye for attack..not just recycling.

Hopefully returning players will make a difference but where any goal threat will come from on a consistent basis I cannot fathom.

40 minutes ago, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

(Personally) I’ve never understood that. If we’re winning I don’t care if we’re likeable or attractive to watch. The Cup Final was a dreadful game of football - loved every minute of it.

I get it if it all adds up to consistent success but I don’t think there’s any guarantee of that. I’d happily accept pragmatism. 

(Yeah I’m fun at parties 😂)

Yeah, pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter as well. Give me Mourinho's Chelsea choking the rest of the league into submission ANY day over this fantasy of "good" attacking football with a bunch of young players.

But the fact is that the club has chosen a guy now to lead us who believes in the opposite. So, I think we all will just have to suck it up until the club shifts its focus again. I have to say, that given RA's success as a businessman, it really would be a surprise if he feels this way still more than a season from now IMO.

Holymoly   
2 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Yeah, pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter as well. Give me Mourinho's Chelsea choking the rest of the league into submission ANY day over this fantasy of "good" attacking football with a bunch of young players.

Personally I don't have a problem with the young players. However when Kante isn't playing we miss him. Similarly we could do with a clinical striker and I'm afraid any back four with David Luiz in it is asking for trouble defensively. I've said this before but it is entirely practical to introduce younger players into the side but we do need the solid spine to anchor everything.

2 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

But the fact is that the club has chosen a guy now to lead us who believes in the opposite. So, I think we all will just have to suck it up until the club shifts its focus again. I have to say, that given RA's success as a businessman, it really would be a surprise if he feels this way still more than a season from now IMO.

But it's not quite the choice between boring/winning and fun/losing. In fact, when you take the broader picture, it's usually the dominant, possession based, attacking teams that are winning things.

1 hour ago, Orange Blue said:

But it's not quite the choice between boring/winning and fun/losing. In fact, when you take the broader picture, it's usually the dominant, possession based, attacking teams that are winning things.

Only in England with Pep and Germany with Bayern IMO. 

Barcelona have really changed approach under Valverde and Juventus strangled the life out of Serie A last year. Madrid under Zidane were more tactical than dominant and possession based IMO, and of course Simeone’s Atletico won EL through their usual grit and know-how. 

I think that Mourinho’s Chelsea and Conte’s titlewinners were pretty good sides to watch in all honesty. 

Maybe this Chelsea team will be different and will accomplish what Tottenham never could - that’s to win a trophy playing excellent football without any investment.. you never know tbh.

Jasonb   

I didn't like us under Conte even in the first season yet respected him for winning the league, I wasn't keen on JM's second spell even in the league win yet Costa was outstanding.

I'm one of those looking for more attacking football and hope Sarri delivers even if we miss out on trophies this season.

Most of what we have seen so far is passing the ball around the back and recycling it whilst relying on CHO for a moment of magic to open things up. Seems we are a long long way off attractive football let alone winning games. Obviously still have our best players to come back but the lack of intent or end product in the new revolutionary attacking philosophy is uninspiring.