• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Lyon 0 (Chelsea win 5-4 on penalties)

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our final Pre-Season Friendly  against Lyon at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

According to TOCWS,  the match is scheduled to kick off at 20:O5, Tuesday 7th August, 2018 (Local UK time/date)

Strange to plan this game two days after the City game. 

Hopefully we will see lots of playing time for the players who recently got back. 

1 hour ago, Gormangorman said:

Are Hazard and Kante back for this one?

Most likely not, considering that both come back to Cobham for the first time today...

45 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Most likely not, considering that both come back to Cobham for the first time today...

I would hope they get a run out of some sort

Usually the last pre-season game is really an U23 team game, not a full first team game.
Are we sure this is a full first team game?

In preseason games I like to see coaches experiment a little bit with other formations. We know Sarri is a 4-3-3 merchant but has he the players to make that work? I'm not so sure.

I would play the first half a a 4-3-3 then 25 mins as a 4-4-2 and then maybe 25 mins with 3 at the back seeing as Luis is now fresh and back in the team. He really doesn't look suited to a back 4 but I think he excels in a 3. 

I'd even go back to the 80s and 90s and try him in a sweeper type role behind a back four. I've never seen us look so flat at the back as we did on Sunday. In a sweeper role the back four would push further up field for Luis to distribute longer balls. The tippytappy thing at the back is something we are not good at but try at every opportunity. City on the other hand often played the ball long and medium long ball with devastating effect.  We were lucky not to lose that game by four goals.

13 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

In preseason games I like to see coaches experiment a little bit with other formations. We know Sarri is a 4-3-3 merchant but has he the players to make that work? I'm not so sure.

I would play the first half a a 4-3-3 then 25 mins as a 4-4-2 and then maybe 25 mins with 3 at the back seeing as Luis is now fresh and back in the team. He really doesn't look suited to a back 4 but I think he excels in a 3. 

I'd even go back to the 80s and 90s and try him in a sweeper type role behind a back four. I've never seen us look so flat at the back as we did on Sunday. In a sweeper role the back four would push further up field for Luis to distribute longer balls. The tippytappy thing at the back is something we are not good at but try at every opportunity. City on the other hand often played the ball long and medium long ball with devastating effect.  We were lucky not to lose that game by four goals.

We were told by many self-styled experts in these forums that Conte's 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 were NOT the best use of the squad and that we had the players that best suited a 4-3-3.
Since last season, other than our third choice 'keeper, nobody has left and we have added a central midfielder. Are you now telling me 4-3-3 won't work either?

Edited by Bob Singleton

10 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

We were told by many self-styled experts in these forums that Conte's 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 were NOT the best use of the squad and that we had the players that best suited a 4-3-3.
Since last season, other than our third choice 'keeper, nobody has left and we have added a central midfielder. Are you now telling me 4-3-3 won't work either?

I'm fully expecting an " Oh ! Conte was right after all " to collectively occur at some point this season.

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Well obvs I'm not telling you it won't work you coz that would be silly  ( and this is the first preseason game I've seen). We surely have to give 4-3-3 a good crack but from what I saw on Sunday, we might need a plan B....something Conte didn't have. Maybe with Christenson in a back four with Cahill or Rudy things might look better.  

We must take into account how little football Luiz has played but he looked a bit like a fish out of water in that formation. Experiment now is what I'm suggesting.