• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Lyon 0 (Chelsea win 5-4 on penalties)

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

One can critise Conte and his three at the back all they like, but it at least utilised the strengths of our defenders and did a better job of negating their limitations. It's difficult to see a back four doing any of this.

If Luis was truly injured and unable to play for 6 months, then Conte had to make the best of it, although I would argue that without Luiz he should have considered something other than a back 3. If however, Luiz was dropped because of comments he made in the dressing room after the Roma game,  Conte wasn't utilising his strengths, he was abandoning them. It was also fairly obvious after a fairly short time, that the replacement for Luiz  was not up to it. Conte stuck with it though as if to prove a point , until sadly for us Christenson fell apart at just the wrong time.  From the moment Luiz was sidelined we  went into a downward spiral.. 

The irony will now be if Sarri wants to play Luiz but in a back 4!  Heavens to Betsy!!

For me it seems simple. The best combo for a back three is Dave ,Luiz and Rudiger (we have them at our disposal)

The best players we have to play CB in a back four are Rudiger, Cahill, Christenson, Zouma, Ampedu . (we have four of them them at our disposal). 

I'm no tactical genius but to me, this is stating the bleedin' obvious.

xCELERYx   
19 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

If Luis was truly injured and unable to play for 6 months, then Conte had to make the best of it, although I would argue that without Luiz he should have considered something other than a back 3. If however, Luiz was dropped because of comments he made in the dressing room after the Roma game,  Conte wasn't utilising his strengths, he was abandoning them. It was also fairly obvious after a fairly short time, that the replacement for Luiz  was not up to it. Conte stuck with it though as if to prove a point , until sadly for us Christenson fell apart at just the wrong time.  From the moment Luiz was sidelined we  went into a downward spiral.. 

The irony will now be if Sarri wants to play Luiz but in a back 4!  Heavens to Betsy!!

For me it seems simple. The best combo for a back three is Dave ,Luiz and Rudiger (we have them at our disposal)

The best players we have to play CB in a back four are Rudiger, Cahill, Christenson, Zouma, Ampedu . (we have four of them them at our disposal). 

I'm no tactical genius but to me, this is stating the bleedin' obvious.

You've sort of missed the point of what I said. It's about utilising the strengths of our players as individuals into a collective team - with or without Luzi, regardless of his situation, the back three was still the better system to maximise the strengths of our defenders while limiting their weaknesses from being exposed. That's still the case now under Sarri - given the same players are on hand. 

One needs to ignore player reputations and solely focus on their attributes as players which include their strengths and weaknesses of their games - as I outlined before. A back three allows more room for the likes of Luiz and Rudiger to get away with the lapses in concentration positionally and with their more adventurous playing styles. Using Alonso as WB means he's closer to goal which is where his strengths lie - while it means that extra CB behind him can help cover for his lack of pace while still remaining protected centrally with the two other remaining CB's, etc. A back four doesn't do this, it just exposes these gaps more - which we've already seen glimpses of during the handful of pre-season games. On top of everything else. 

Reading names on paper doesn't tell the full story when on the pitch.

I think our back 4 will need major surgery next summer, but I hope we can get through this season with this as first choice:

Azpilicueta - Rüdiger - Christensen - Palmieri

I'd expect that Cahill, Luiz, Zappacosta and possibly Alonso will need to be replaced next year. The other 4 plus Ampadu are our best bet for building a team to challenge for the title next season.

3 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

I think our back 4 will need major surgery next summer, but I hope we can get through this season with this as first choice:

I'd expect that Cahill, Luiz, Zappacosta and possibly Alonso will need to be replaced next year. The other 4 plus Ampadu are our best bet for building a team to challenge for the title next season.

Back four is in a shambles. Long-term we only have 2/4 players. We lack another long-term CB and a LB.

I have read rumours that Marcelo is on his way to Juve all summer and that Sandro is available. Imagine Alex Sandro at LB in Sarri's system... 

8 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Back four is in a shambles. Long-term we only have 2/4 players. We lack another long-term CB and a LB.

I have read rumours that Marcelo is on his way to Juve all summer and that Sandro is available. Imagine Alex Sandro at LB in Sarri's system... 

Imagine Sandro at LB in Mourinho's system and you'll probably be right.

jones   
4 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Major surgery is an overstatement. Azpilicueta is world class. Plus, we have Reece James coming through who is going to be a top class RB the day Azpi retires. Rudiger and Christensen at CB are both top-class, and we have Ampadu coming through behind them. I agree though that we are likely to have to spend big on a new CB next summer, but that is not major surgery for me. LB I agree is looking bad at the moment, as Alonso does not fit the job description and Emerson probably just does not have the required quality to be first choice. We have Dasilva coming through, but odds are not on his side to become a Chelsea player.

Still, a top class signing at CB (Koulibaly?) and LB next summer are looking necessary, but that would give us the following which to me looks extremely good both short and long term:

Azpi/James, Rüdiger/Christensen, KOULIBALY/Ampadu, NEW LB/Emerson

(Alonso and Zappa should be able to fund a top class LB, while the CB is probably going to cost a lot).

9 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

You've sort of missed the point of what I said. It's about utilising the strengths of our players as individuals into a collective team

I think most people gloss over your jigsaw blueprints.
They are good enough players for 4th but not great.  End of story.  Moaning about how they don't quite fit into a Conte or Sarri style is not going to be taken seriously here.

11 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

If however, Luiz was dropped because of comments he made in the dressing room after the Roma game,  Conte wasn't utilising his strengths, he was abandoning them.

Willian has today confirmed that Conte fell out with Luiz, while slating him for kicking out Costa. Credit to Luiz for being professional, not discussing it and kicking on. Definitely seems there was an element of sabotage from AC for our poor season, no doubt he fell out with the higher ups too.

37 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Willian has today confirmed that Conte fell out with Luiz, while slating him for kicking out Costa. Credit to Luiz for being professional, not discussing it and kicking on. Definitely seems there was an element of sabotage from AC for our poor season, no doubt he fell out with the higher ups too.

I don't think there's much doubt left now. 

Something happened the summer after we won the title. Unfortunately Conte decided to use the next 12 months behaving like a child. How many years has he set us back? 5? More?

2 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Any quotes for this?

Not doubting it, would just like to read them.