• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Lyon 0 (Chelsea win 5-4 on penalties)

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Something happened the summer after we won the title. Unfortunately Conte decided to use the next 12 months behaving like a child. How many years has he set us back? 5? More?

I agree he behaved like a child - but not set us back.  Unless you have SAF or Pep money to be constantly rebuilding, most clubs have to ride the cycles between rebuilding, performing and rebuilding.  I think Conte just failed to realise that while arrived in a performing stage, his 3rd year was very definitely going to be re-building.

Most of that side was going to get old anyway.

5 hours ago, jones said:

LB I agree is looking bad at the moment, as Alonso does not fit the job description and Emerson probably just does not have the required quality to be first choice. 

I suspect I am in the minority here but I think Alonso particularly and Emerson are getting a bad press.  

Alonso was voted in to the premier league 11 last year and has so much technique, he can pass, cross and is always a danger over a free kick.  I get he isn’t the quickest but aren’t we being a bit quick to write him off, a great wing back does not suddenly become a crap full back.  Plus he got two against The Spuds and for me that gives him legend status!  As for Emerson on the few games he played last year I thought he looked decent.  He may not be good enough but until he has a few more games it is impossible to tell.

29 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I agree he behaved like a child - but not set us back.  Unless you have SAF or Pep money to be constantly rebuilding, most clubs have to ride the cycles between rebuilding, performing and rebuilding. 

We spent over £250m on Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater,  Zappacosta, Emerson, Giroud, Barkley, Batshuayi and Luiz. We could have gotten 5 £50m players for that. Would have done wonders for our squad. 

Instead we spent that money on 9 back-ups. 

17 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

We spent over £250m on Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater,  Zappacosta, Emerson, Giroud, Barkley, Batshuayi and Luiz. We could have gotten 5 £50m players for that. Would have done wonders for our squad. 

Instead we spent that money on 9 back-ups. 

Morata was a £50m+ player.  Baka was almost one.  Luiz (and the unmentioned Alonso & Kante) who were key pieces in the 16/17 title win.  Rudiger (unmentioned) is one of the key steps towards the next upturn in our cycle.  

I agree some of it was silly transfers - the problem of Conte having too much control, not too little.  Going from being stroppy if he didn't get the quality he demanded to stroppy if he didn't get enough players and the club not being tough enough on him.

But the main reason we moved on from a winning part of the cycle to a re-building one was just ageing.  Too many of our best players were who were 26-29 3 years ago are now 29-32.

38 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Morata was a £50m+ player.  Baka was almost one.  

Stopped reading here to be honest. Thank you for highlighting my point. 

6 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Stopped reading here to be honest. Thank you for highlighting my point. 

Got it - you one of those guys who reckons every 50/50 bet is worth what you win, and you know in advance which bets will win.
Not a lot of point you reading anyones posts, and vice versa then

9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Got it - you one of those guys who reckons every 50/50 bet is worth what you win, and you know in advance which bets will win.
Not a lot of point you reading anyones posts, and vice versa then

Come on. Morata isn't a £50m striker.

Baka is a £20m CB, not a £40m CM. Try to disagree with that. 

From TOCWS

Chelsea are expected to line up as follows:

Bulka; Zappacosta, Christensen, Ampadu, Emerson; Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Loftus-Cheek; Moses, Abraham, Willian (c).

Subs: Caballero, Green, Collins, Rudiger, Cahill, Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Alonso, Fabregas, Jorginho, Kante, Barkley, Hazard, Pedro, Piazon, Musonda, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi, Batshuayi.

Lyon:

Lopes, Marcelo, Aouar, Diaz, Traore, Depay, Dubois, Morel, Mendy, Ndombele, Tousart.

Subs: Rafael, Terrier, Ferri, Gouiri, Tete, Diop, Pereira, Solet, Gorgelin.