• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Lyon 0 (Chelsea win 5-4 on penalties)

8 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

I didn't see the game but if we're looking at signing Kovacic or any other midfielder I'd guess that Loftus-Cheek, Drinkwater and Bakayoko were playing for one place in the final squad. Did any of them look competent?

Loftus-Cheek was the most advanced of the three and flattered to deceive again... did one back-heel to a team-mate that opened up a whole load of space ahead of him and instead of bombing forward to take advantage of that space, he just ambled forward. Got in a good position in the box at one point and hit the post. Also made one good surge forward with the ball. He has the talent and the skill (we all know that), but lacks the work-rate.

Drinkwater was the more withdrawn of the three, overall, and did his job OK. Didn't stand out, but no glaring mistakes either. Decent back-up who can be relied upon rather than a starter.

Bakayoko looked like he'd been given the box-to-box duties. Never got close to the opposition box, sadly, as Tammy was pretty isolated with neither Willian nor Moses providing much support. All his short passes were OK, but when he did try a long, over the top pass, his range was off (just pre-season rustiness, or par for the course?). Wasn't as poor as some made out, but we all know he shouldn't really be here.

On a sort of "snog, marry, avoid" basis, it's keep Drinkwater, loan Ruben and sell Bakayoko.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

On a sort of "snog, marry, avoid" basis, it's keep Drinkwater, loan Ruben and sell Bakayoko.

Agree, if of course we get Kovacic. 

Drinkwater is probably the most versatile of all our midfielders.  Not gonna be first choice but can play any of the three roles to an adequate standard. 

Plus he will always give 100%.

7 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

In more serious news the team sheet showed Brad Collins was assigned the no.25 shirt. How can this be allowed to happen?

Granted he's probably going on loan and the team sheet also showed Musonda on the bench, even though he was playing at Swindon, but is nothing sacred anymore?

Great point.

I'd also make him 5th choice CB as he sees out his contract. But 1st choice cheerleader, training ground prankster and all round nice guy in interviews. I think Cahill has more to offer than Luiz this season.

No - the No 25 shirt is no longer sacrosanct.  It's just that no one can call themselves the assistant coach again!

(actually, as the last remnant of "old Chelsea" it was probably Zola's job to remind Sarri that the shirt number can't be used, and I bet he forgot).

I'd also make him 5th choice CB as he sees out his contract. But 1st choice cheerleader, training ground prankster and all round nice guy in interviews. I think Cahill has more to offer than Luiz this season.

Luiz in the  Stamford the Lion kit - with his own hair.  Easy to imagine.

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

1. Agreed. It's quite surprising a 17 year-old can be so mature. He bailed Bakayoko out countless of times. He will stay with the squad. Main question for me when it comes to our CBs is whether we go into the new season with 4 seniors + Ampadu or 3 seniors + Ampadu. Considering how well he's played each time he's been given a chance, I'd feel rather ok with him as our CB4. Rumour has it that our two most expensive defenders (in terms of weekly wages) is Luiz (£120k) and Cahill (130k). Even if the exact sum may not be right, I'm sure they are both one of the most expensive defenders we have (together with Azpi). Can we sacrifice a 4th CB and an expensive one at that and use that to strengthen in attack? 

4+ Ampadu.  Remember when you were 17?  Could anyone rely on you for a season?
How does one shift players on £120k+ a week who are over 30?  I don't think you can, or at least you can shift the player, just not the wages.

55 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Drinkwater is probably the most versatile of all our midfielders.  Not gonna be first choice but can play any of the three roles to an adequate standard. 

Plus he will always give 100%.

I agree - but the position we need most cover in is AM/wing, and that is where I see RLC playing this season (if at all)

JaneB   
4 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

Yep. Agree with this 100%. Overall happy with Sarri appointment, but the worry is we have a handful of players in the squad who will comfortably slot into what he wants. This list is basically Kante, Jorginho,Willian, Hazard, Pedro and Fabregas to a degree from our legit first team squad, then you have players like RLC,Barkely,Hudson Odoi who are probably versatile and young enough to adapt to what Sarri will want.

Problem is all those players can't play at the same time and they all pretty much cover midfield or attacking midfield. The rest of the players just stand out as looking completley unsuited to what Sarri will want.

Welcome back 😀

Holymoly   

Totally pointless game. Was this really a classed as a first team warmup? I'd ask for my money back.

kev61   
21 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

No, not really. As sub-par as Bakayoko has been here, I'd still pick him over Luiz as CM option. 

I'd rather see Ampadu, Christensen, Azpilicueta, Pedro and even Willian ahead of Luiz. 

Wow you must really hate Luiz as a player!.I agree I'm not that fussed about him as a player but to say you would prefer Bakayko to him in midfield is very telling.Luiz'might'add something, Bakayoko is the proven "Donkey" since he arrived.

Do you think Morata will come good? or is he a "Donkey".

On 08/08/2018 at 0:54 PM, JaneB said:

Welcome back 😀

Hear hear! Where've you been Zoowraa?

• Like 1

Zoowraa   
On 8/8/2018 at 0:54 PM, JaneB said:

Welcome back 😀

18 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Hear hear! Where've you been Zoowraa?

Thanks both. The frustrations with modern day football and footballers has seen me lose interest in the game in recent years, plus what was going on at Chelsea last season was just frankly boring. I'm feeling a bit more positive and refreshed having not really had football on my agenda for the last 7/8 months. Lets hope we can have a good season with positive progress and building across the season and for the future.

1 hour ago, Zoowraa said:

Thanks both. The frustrations with modern day football and footballers has seen me lose interest in the game in recent years, plus what was going on at Chelsea last season was just frankly boring. I'm feeling a bit more positive and refreshed having not really had football on my agenda for the last 7/8 months. Lets hope we can have a good season with positive progress and building across the season and for the future.

Good to hear from you mate. Seems like we've been having similar feelings then, but maybe things will be a bit more enjoyable this season? 

Well maybe!!

Meanwhile I've had a couple of cheeky Betfair investments on Wolves and Fulham for the PL this season at prices of 350 and 1000 respectively!! Don't expect either to win the PL obviously, but may well be a trade out opportunity on both I think.

Zoowraa   
19 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Good to hear from you mate. Seems like we've been having similar feelings then, but maybe things will be a bit more enjoyable this season? 

Well maybe!!

Meanwhile I've had a couple of cheeky Betfair investments on Wolves and Fulham for the PL this season at prices of 350 and 1000 respectively!! Don't expect either to win the PL obviously, but may well be a trade out opportunity on both I think.

Yep you never know mate. Fair play to Fulham, they have had a real go and made some interesting signings. I'm still reeling from my handicap bet on Burnley for the league +43 points from last season, it all looked so promising and went all the way to the final game of the season, but they took their foot of things in final 4/5 games as had nothing to play for, plus city were relentless. It ended up costing me a nice payout on that.

Just the one pre season bet for me this year,had a decent bet on Portsmouth to win League 1 at 14/1. Kenny Jackett is a smart manager at that level and the club finally seem stable and well run after a few years of turmoil. 

Good luck with your bets mate.