• Current Donation Goals

xCELERYx

2018/19 Expectations.

On 8/9/2018 at 0:52 PM, Sciatika said:

The trick, as ever with the premier league, is whether you can beat the bottom 12 twice and get decent enough results from the rest.

Beating someone 5-0 is great but not as great as beating 5 people 1-0. Having said that, I am concerned about our ability to be clinical especially in the games where people are hard to break down. We need to attack fast and early. Please God let us not have those games where the players just wander around for the first ten minutes. I think Sarri might work well in the prem but it also requires that the players sign up to it. I think, if we hit every game with a lot of pace and a high press, we will blow most opposition away as long as our forwards put the ball in the back of the net. (Easy to say, I know).

On this season's wishlist, can we not:

a) Do so many foul throws

b) Allow ourselves to be offside when we are able to look down the line

c) Hit the first man on a cross

These things can be fixed in training.

Indeed. To get top four, you really need approximately 25 wins, do that against the bottom 13 teams and the matches against the top six do not matter, that I think is where Sarri might be good, I reckon he will get us winning the matches we should. As for my predictions, I am going for:

PL - 4th

EL - Semi/Final/Winner

FA - 5th Round

LC - Semi's

Premier League:

1. City
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. United
5. Spurs
6. Everton
7. Arsenal

Can't see past City. Liverpool 2nd best. I see Arsenal struggling, new manager after so long will be hard and they aren't built on a strong squad or strong core of players and I can see Everton sneaking in above them - some good signings and a good manager. Spurs I think will have a mixed season, they've been media darlings the last few years and still seen as the underdog doing so well, but I think with no new players and a world cup hangover, they may actually drop out of the top 4 this season. United will somehow find a way for top 4, more through others form than them doing well - Jose gone before next season and Poch to take over.

Europa League:

Semi Finalists. I think we'll rest players early on, but do enough to get us through and then really go for it, but come up short at the business end as we are still battling for top 4.

FA Cup:

1/4 finals

League Cup:

Out in early rounds

5 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

Indeed. To get top four, you really need approximately 25 wins, do that against the bottom 13 teams and the matches against the top six do not matter, that I think is where Sarri might be good, I reckon he will get us winning the matches we should. 

Yes - it is what Conte did too.  And frankly Napoli getting 90 points in Serie A must mean that was there attitude too, you don't get that many points unless you beat all the beatable teams.

We'll climb back into the top four at the expense of Tottenham, but we'll lose Hazard at the end of this month for a massive amount of money.

Premier League: 4th

Europa League: Win

FA Cup: QF

League Cup: Early exit on penalties to someone like Bristol City.

Premier League: 3rd

Europa League: Winners

FA Cup: Semi-Final

League Cup: Quarter-Final

xCELERYx   

Don't have high expectations overall.

Premier League: 5th or 6th.

Europa League: KO rounds.

FA Cup: Fifth Round

League Cup: Quarter-Final

paulw66   

The FA and League Cups are somewhat impossible to predict. 

We could draw City in round 3 of the FA Cup, or we could get to the semi final without having played a top half PL team. 

League Cup will depend entirely on how seriously he takes it. Conte was foolish and tried to win it with key first team players. I am hoping not to see Azpi, Kante, Jorginho, Hazard anywhere near the LC team. 

Europa League - presumably we will go for this as it is a route back into the CL......... we should certainly reach the semi finals as a minimum, depending on who drops out of the CL at the group stage.

The only true barometer of where you are is the league position. Personally, I don't see why we can't get top 4. We have a much bigger squad than 12 months ago, and the only first team player we have lost is Courtois. Central midfield already looks much stronger, and we haven't even seen Kovacic yet.  

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

The only true barometer of where you are is the league position. Personally, I don't see why we can't get top 4. We have a much bigger squad than 12 months ago, and the only first team player we have lost is Courtois. Central midfield already looks much stronger, and we haven't even seen Kovacic yet.  

V good points.  A big squad can stop you reaching top speed, but it guarantees against disasters.