• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Huddersfield 0 Chelsea 3

2 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I think you could be right.  A wing back needs a massive engine to get up and down the pitch for 90 mins. He also needs that bit of extra speed and turn of pace to get behind their defence and get to the line now and again.  Alonso is not really that player although he shows great willing. I think he will be fine in a back four. 

The games he'll struggle in will be against the sides with fast wingers or wing backs , Man City , Spurs etc other than that I think he'll be fine , he's got the brains and an eye for a goal and a super set piece delivery too . 

The issue we have in defense is zonal marking, never been a fan myself and at corners or free kicks the players haven't worked it out yet.

Sciatika   

Not a fan of zonal marking either. Spaces don't score so why mark them?

Kezza   

Kepa looks assured. Though in the first half when they hit the post from a header he was too late to react.

Blue Rod   

Considering the doom and gloom being merchandised about Chelsea by the punters, the lads looked remarkably positive today. We are not going to get relegated, it seems. 

8 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

I was trying to think of who that reminded me off.. TTB great days :-)

A bit late to add now, but that Andersen is useless, England should have dropped him years ago.

8 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

DkUfnIkXsAEOR3Q.jpeg

So off the top of my head:  Green, Ampadu, Cahill, Emerson, Fabregas, Drinkwater, CHO and Abaham all fail to get on the bench.

Not only have most of our benches been weaker than that lot, quite a few cup games have had a weaker starting lineup.

Sarriball is definitely work in progress.  Much to be done, especially this passing around the back lark.

But Conte's 16/17 team was in evidence - we spend 30 mins playing poorer football than the oppos and then we get one against play, another with a bit of luck and it all finishes 3-0 or 4-0 as the oppos are good enough the push us hard, but not good enough to come back from behind.
Plus of course Willian started and was ELECTRIC.

Huddersfield pressed high for 30 mins, and caused us no ends of problem.  Much like the City game, only City do it a lot better.  I think we played through it knowing that they couldn't, wouldn't keep it up for more than that.  We will get better at playing it around the back, but teams will try pressing us this season - just as they did in 17/16 while not in 16/17.

Definitely a VAR penalty, not a non-VAR penalty - the ref took a guess.  By normal standards we were lucky with that decision, by or own standards it was a miracle.  The ref got a lot of things plain wrong, with little help from his linesmen.  Random, but regularly wrong.

Rudiger is a class player.  Faster than Zouma, as strong in the air, but in a different league with the ball on the ground.  Is he good enough to allow Luiz to be CB2?  We'll see.

As expected Azpi's positioning as RB was almost exactly the same as Moses as RWB last season.  Getting to the edge of the box occasionally but no further.
Alonso played identically - despite being up against an oppo WB that loved to get forward, Alonso got forward as often as ever, winning the penalty in open play (I won't count hitting the bar as that came from a corner where most defenders get pushed up)
With Moses the defender dropped, there is no loss of height for set pieces either end as a result.

Kepa looked safe.  Morata was More rattier.  RLC and Moses did little to excite in their cameos.  Barkley again looked more of a worker ant than a footballing genius.  I wonder if he thinks that is the way to get into Sarri's good books.  I prefer Drinkwater as er water carrier, and Barkley needs to show some flash to impress me.   

The other cameo looked wonderful.  Goal 3 - he started by beating and leaving far behind 2 midfielders and ran at the 2 CBs.  Drew both of them towards him leaving a Chelsea player wide to pass to on either side.  He made the right choice (ie not to Morata) with a perfect pass to Pedro who finished well.

I have a feeling that Willian/Pedro and Hazard will pass amongst themselves (and occasionally to Giroud) for the rest of the season.  Morata seems not to be in the IN crowd.

2 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Jorghino feels like a Lampard for me

Good but nothing like Lampard.  More of a Maka in style, defends in the right place and moves it on quickly (I'd say Mikel, but then the knuckle heads would be moaning).  I think the real QBs, Lampard or Fabregas, would love to play with Jorginho, he receives and passes so quickly that it is like stealing a piece of time which he passes on with the ball for the next guy to use.  Jorginho is Scrumhalf not Flyhalf (and there were some poor back passes in pre-season, I want to be sure they get ironed out of his game in the real games).

If it means Kante plays further forward that is cool, he does that well too.  Scored from a breakaway and cross by Willian.  If anything Kante is going to be the new Lampard, not the QB long passing visionary, but the guy that gets in the box on his own because none of the oppo have the lungs to keep up with him.  Lets hope he finishes like Lampard.

Rudiger was absolutely class. Seems to have adapted completely to the speed of the game and now looks so assured in all aspects. 

Seeing Kante make runs all over the field brought flashbacks to Ramires. I like Fabregas but heck it was really refreshing to see a player with that kind of tempo in a more advanced role. 

Weird not seeing the tall figure of Courtois at the back but Kepa kept it nice and tidy. Very curious to see how he deals with aerial balls and rough defenders.

xCELERYx   
6 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Going to pick out Alonso, not because I think he has a super amazing game today, but for someone who takes so much flack on this forum, he yet again put in a ver solid performance and proved that despite what some say, he probably can actually play at LB.

Regarding this, it isn't so much that Alonso can't play the fullback position, and is more that a fullback role doesn't necessarily provide the best platform to highlight his strengths and negate his weaknesses as a player. Big reason why he'd be pushed into midfield during his time at Fiorentina when they'd shift between 3ATB and 4.

He's obviously capable at the fullback position as shown across the course of his career. The WB role though is simply where he excels more and where his best football has been played. Being positioned higher up the pitch translates to occupying attacking areas more frequently and having an advantage of less ground to cover with that head start so to speak. Even though being higher up the pitch typically means more space in behind, that's then nullified by that extra CB who can come across. So there isn't quite the responsibility and importance on being back in position so we're not left short handed - ideal for someone slower by foot and gives them more leeway. The higher position up the pitch also gives him more of a chance to get in behind or around the box to be a threat of some sort. 

At fullback he'll get more ball in deeper areas, without pace he's unlikely to beat his man too often so it's going to result in more passes back or infield. Getting into similar attacking positions like we'd see as a WB will require more work and time for him to do, and thus will likely be less frequently seen. Particularly if we're not dominating possession. 

He'll still be a solid player overall because he's a fairly smart player and will pick and choose his moments. Against quicker more direct wingers/wb's/fullbacks he may struggle a bit more and could be pinned back and taken advantage of. Which if so, is then going to increase the importance that our RB is able to get forward and offer something to our attack instead. Otherwise we're going to end up playing rather narrow.

We've got some similar problems with our CB situation presently as well. What needs to be made clear though is that it isn't not about x player not being able to play a position, but more about if that position and role is as complimentary to their skill set in comparison to others positions/roles. This will be answered over time as the season progresses.