• Current Donation Goals

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Huddersfield at John Smith's Stadium, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 15:00, Saturday, 11th August, 2018 (Local UK time/date).

Rob B   

Caballero,

Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Luiz, Alonso

Kante Jorginho Barkley 

Pedro Morata Willian

Not sure Sarri has the balls to pick CHO to be brutally honest and I think Kante has to play otherwise we get overrun too easily.

Think Cesc has a slight knock, but if not, would expect him to start over Barkley

Would imagine Zouma, Bulka, Piazon, Musonda, Bakayoko and Abraham at the very minimum, leave in the next few days or weeks, if abroad.

Ampadu is an odd one, was the best player on the pitch again tonight but just can’t see us keeping him around unfortunately. 

paulw66   

Wonder if Kepa goes straight in?

Presume Kovacic will be a sub at best. 

Sir   

A Saturday 15:00 kick off is going to be another scarce thing this season it would seem! (Europa league etc) god that irritates me last season! (Serious lack of Saturday 15:00 kick off’s) I’m incredibly impatient when it comes to Chelsea games, so I’m definitely an advocate of sooner rather than later!

I think Kepa goes straight in, I see no reason why not to be honest. I'd also personally start with CHO and I think Sarri may well go that way. Ampadu deserves a start based on pre-season form, but can't see that happening. My guess:

Kepa

Azpilicueta Rudiger Luiz Alonso

Barkley Jorginho Kante

Pedro Morata CHO

Subs: Caballero, Christensen, Fabregas, Kovacic, Hazard, Willian, Giroud

That leaves Green, Zappacosta, Cahill, Ampadu, Emerson, Drinkwater, RLC, Moses, Tammy not involved... we actually have a squad!!

We should have enough to win this, but with new system, new manager etc it may not be as straight forward as we could expect. A nice win with a few goals and a CS and I'll be delighted... expect a 2-0/2-1 win though.

10 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

we actually have a squad!!

:)  kids in the team,  5  England Internationals don't make the bench
It would certainly be a turn up.

Tough one to call. There is no logical reason to keep Hazard and Kanté out just because. The reason to keep them out is if we don't feel they are physically ready. It would be madness imo to take a chance on them at this stage. They will both be instrumental for us the coming season. 

I think Sarri will take the sensible approach and leave them on the bench. The squad is massive at the moment;

Arrizabalaga, Caballero, Green, Bulka - Azpilicueta, Zappacosta - Luiz, Cahill, Rüdiger, Christensen, Ampadu - Alonso, Emerson - Jorginho, Kanté, Kovacic, Fabregas, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Drinkwater, Bakayoko - Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Moses, Hudson-Odoi, Piazon, Musonda Jr. - Morata, Giroud, Abraham, Batshuayi

24 senior outfielders plus 3 u-21's. Players in bold most likely to leave on loan taking it down to 3 GKs, 21 senior outfielders + 3 u-21's. I'm surprised that Abraham has stayed on. One way or the other, until the window shuts in the rest of europe I suppose Giroud, Bats and Abraham (Championship) are all viable to go on loan. They have a 3 week audition ahead of themselves! Also surprised to see Drinkwater stay despite 3-4 PL clubs seemingly interested. 

It will be interesting to see how Sarri forms his midfield, but I think it'll be more like 2 different positions - the deeper playmaker role and the two midfielders next to him. I reckon we have Jorginho, Fabregas and Drinkwater for the deeper playmaker role. Then we have Kanté, Kovacic, Barkley and Loftus-Cheek for the two other slots. Central defense will be an interesting one long-term, but I think he will start with a Luiz-Rüdiger pairing. 

My team for saturday (433);

Arrizabalaga; Azpilicueta, Rüdiger, Luiz, Alonso; Fabregas, Jorginho, Barkley; Pedro, Morata, Willian

Subs: Caballero, Christensen, Kanté, Loftus-Cheek, Hazard, Hudson-Odoi, Giroud

Missing out: Green, Zappacosta, Emerson, Cahill, Ampadu, Kovacic, Drinkwater, Moses, Abraham...

Edited by The_Ghost

paulw66   
13 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think Kepa goes straight in, I see no reason why not to be honest. I'd also personally start with CHO and I think Sarri may well go that way. Ampadu deserves a start based on pre-season form, but can't see that happening. My guess:

Kepa

Azpilicueta Rudiger Luiz Alonso

Barkley Jorginho Kante

Pedro Morata CHO

Subs: Caballero, Christensen, Fabregas, Kovacic, Hazard, Willian, Giroud

That leaves Green, Zappacosta, Cahill, Ampadu, Emerson, Drinkwater, RLC, Moses, Tammy not involved... we actually have a squad!!

We should have enough to win this, but with new system, new manager etc it may not be as straight forward as we could expect. A nice win with a few goals and a CS and I'll be delighted... expect a 2-0/2-1 win though.

That really does show that we can expect a couple of departures prior to 31 August. If CHO is a serious option for Sarri (and this remains to be seen) then there really is no room for Moses, whilst Kovacic, Jorginho, RLC and Barkley should put pay to DD and Bakayoko (who you have not mentioned at all) 

If that is the XI that starts, then if the game is level with half hour to go, there is serious fire power on the bench. Imagine bringing on Hazard, Willian and Giroud for the last half hour against tiring legs.

paulw66   
9 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Missing out: Green, Zappacosta, Emerson, Cahill, Ampadu, Kovacic, Drinkwater, Moses, Abraham...

Bakayoko?