• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

The air issue is a problem, but I think it is part of the whole way we coach set pieces (and VAR which means that every team concedes more).

For all the praise this year's coaching gets, there are a lot of problems both with defending and with set pieces both ends.

It is kind of chicken and egg though. Is it the coaching failing to instruct Kepa to come off his line or are they trying to set up to avoid exposing him? Personally, I fail to see how two sets of coaching teams could both fail to recognise this and not instruct him to start coming off his line. I mean, it is balantly obvious this is a massive issue to the likes of us and so I am sure it is to them too. 

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Of all the criticism of Kepa, he is bloody brilliant with his feet.... Don't get that at all 

Yeah, I am Kepa sceptic but I think his ability with his feet is high. He sometimes takes risks but so do Ederson and Alisson who are also good with their feet. 

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I’m focusing on his weaknesses. Well the weaknesses that I see. Of course he has strengths as well, otherwise we wouldn’t have paid £72m to begin with. 

But for me the weaknesses are so severe that it’s becoming a problem. I don’t see him rectifying them any time soon either... 

Indeed. It is becoming so severe that I do not think it can last forever. If it is the coaching then the GK coach needs sacking pronto. If it is just simply a weakness in his game, I can see him losing his place as more and more teams are going to start targetted his weak spots. 

34 minutes ago, King Kante said:

that can be seen as anything other than a lack of planning.

Well no.  just a lack of success in planning to be offset by an enormous amount of good planning at other times.  It was also IMO the first window that the board had regained control over transfers from Conte (or at least the first time that they could plan without being disrupted by him). 
This is the thing though - you can argue that a keeper in 2018 was a problem unsolved.  But you can't jump from that to a conclusion that the board is consistently bad or even that it got that decision wrong.
As Chara keeps asking, if not Kepa, who should the club bought, given that City, Liverpool and RM were all seeking keepers at the same time with bigger budgets than us.

38 minutes ago, King Kante said:

2) Hardly. 2007-09 resulted in 2 FA Cups and 1 League Cup. Hardly top of the mountain considering our position from 2004-2006. 

82 points, 85 points, 83 points plus a CL final suggests actually the board was providing a pretty good team to good managers.  Unless of course you think JT's slipping was the boards fault - perhaps they should have planned for that.

I do urge people to do a bit of research and count just how many teams have broken 80 points more than once in a decade, let alone 3 times in consecutive seasons.  It is a hell of an achievement to do it just once.

20 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well no.  just a lack of success in planning to be offset by an enormous amount of good planning at other times.  It was also IMO the first window that the board had regained control over transfers from Conte (or at least the first time that they could plan without being disrupted by him). 
This is the thing though - you can argue that a keeper in 2018 was a problem unsolved.  But you can't jump from that to a conclusion that the board is consistently bad or even that it got that decision wrong.
As Chara keeps asking, if not Kepa, who should the club bought, given that City, Liverpool and RM were all seeking keepers at the same time with bigger budgets than us.

82 points, 85 points, 83 points plus a CL final suggests actually the board was providing a pretty good team to good managers.  Unless of course you think JT's slipping was the boards fault - perhaps they should have planned for that.

I do urge people to do a bit of research and count just how many teams have broken 80 points more than once in a decade, let alone 3 times in consecutive seasons.  It is a hell of an achievement to do it just once.

Liverpool did not have a bigger budget than us. Arguements can be made about Alisson but they seemed to get that one done early as they actually realised their keeper situation needed sorting and planned in advance. As for other keepers, I think Leno at £22m was a much more reasonable idea but again Le Arse went and got him early. Patricio is also a goalkeeper who I do not see as much inferior to Kepa and certainly not at the figures we're talking about. Nevas would have also been a reasonable shout (although he does admittedly seem to love living in Spain.) So yeah, there were other keepers about, but all had moved before we got our ar*e into action. 

But prior to that we had 95 and 91. I just do not see how people can think that getting rid of Jose Mk1 and replacing him with Avram/Scolari and then buying the likes of Sidwell, Boularouz, Benayoun et el was good planning, especially as Utd were improving and City were coming onto the scene. 

26 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Liverpool did not have a bigger budget than us.

You really are full of these funny statements.  Yes they did in 2018.  And spent as much on their keeper plus much bigger wages I would suspect.

You are 100% welcome to argue about what a good choice would have been in 2018, and even to use hindsight.  But what you can't do is to use it as evidence of an incompetent board.

29 minutes ago, King Kante said:

But prior to that we had 95 and 91

Which really was incredible.  As I say - getting 80+ points is a real achievement once.  90+ is exceptional.  Indeed I reckon most of us could name every team and every year that a PL club got 90+ points since the PL started.  

32 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I just do not see how people can think that getting rid of Jose Mk1 and replacing him with Avram/Scolari and then buying the likes of Sidwell, Boularouz, Benayoun et el was good planning, especially as Utd were improving and City were coming onto the scene. 

Well we were clearly very successful in the period so long stick to our success being proof of having a competent board.
If you want to start with an incompetent board and use that to prove that 2007-09 or any other period was a failure you better find someone else to debate with.

17 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

You really are full of these funny statements.  Yes they did in 2018.  And spent as much on their keeper plus much bigger wages I would suspect.

You are 100% welcome to argue about what a good choice would have been in 2018, and even to use hindsight.  But what you can't do is to use it as evidence of an incompetent board.

Which really was incredible.  As I say - getting 80+ points is a real achievement once.  90+ is exceptional.  Indeed I reckon most of us could name every team and every year that a PL club got 90+ points since the PL started.  

Well we were clearly very successful in the period so long stick to our success being proof of having a competent board.
If you want to start with an incompetent board and use that to prove that 2007-09 or any other period was a failure you better find someone else to debate with.

Alisson was £67m and apprantly is on £120,000ish compared to Kepa's £170,000 per week. 

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/liverpool-f.c/alisson-becker-27707/

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/chelsea-f.c/kepa-arrizabalaga-27857/

The above site aggregates the most widely reported figures, which is all we can go on before you say I do not have access to the contracts themselves. So, yeah Liverpool spent less and arempaying less on their keeper who was much more established and had experience at international and CL level. 

Their is plenty of evidence of that. Kepa is just the best example. I mean, I do not understand your idea that prior to Conte the board was in controll and then all of a sudden thought, 'you know what, we have been in charge of player recruitment for the last 15 years but you know what, lets give Conte controll'. They have been in controll since Roman arrived. 

2007-09 was awful from a recruitment prespective and it set us back. Yes, we were still a competitive/very good side but we slipped because the board pulled off such masterstrokes as Avram for Jose, selling Huth and Gallas in one window and replacing them with Boularouz and thus giving us 3 CB's for a season. Then their was the other nonsesne, such as p*ssing about with Seville over Alves and buying Belletti instead (Alves is on record as stating that it was the club that ballsed that one up: 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11548670/alves-I-could-have-joined-Mourinho

So yeah, they did leave a lot to be desired in that period. 

chara   
1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Liverpool did not have a bigger budget than us. Arguements can be made about Alisson but they seemed to get that one done early as they actually realised their keeper situation needed sorting and planned in advance. As for other keepers, I think Leno at £22m was a much more reasonable idea but again Le Arse went and got him early. Patricio is also a goalkeeper who I do not see as much inferior to Kepa and certainly not at the figures we're talking about. Nevas would have also been a reasonable shout (although he does admittedly seem to love living in Spain.) So yeah, there were other keepers about, but all had moved before we got our ar*e into action. 

But prior to that we had 95 and 91. I just do not see how people can think that getting rid of Jose Mk1 and replacing him with Avram/Scolari and then buying the likes of Sidwell, Boularouz, Benayoun et el was good planning, especially as Utd were improving and City were coming onto the scene. 

The keepers you name ...I do not basically disagree with your assessment of them but who actually was available at the time Chelsea went looking?

The whole TC affair has been argued and been discussed to death.

Whatever the conclusions are as to who was at fault etc it still left Chelsea needing a keeper.....seems the young lad who left wasn't fancied for whatever reason and Willie is a good backup but I think over a long period he would come up wanting. There is a reason he came to Chelsea as a backup. Not putting down his contributions over his time as he usually does the business but check back comments about his game after the Cup game that Man City sent a reserve side and kids....credit to Willie but put as much a magnifying glass on him as Kepa.

I hate appearing to be a Kepa apologist because I am not but do want to see a less narrow view of his performances...made an early save against Burnley that kept the game in Chelsea's hands (feet!) and saved two points at the end of the Watford game..not a small contribution to six points just there.

I too worry about a lot of the stuff written about him but try to be a bit more positive about the situation..

Kepa suffers a lot in comparision with PC who was the best keeper I have seen at Chelsea..and Bonetti was and still is my hero....not many can stand against PC

2 hours ago, King Kante said:

Alisson was £67m and apprantly is on £120,000ish compared to Kepa's £170,000 per week. 

Apprantly is only a guess - no one publishes these things - it just one person guesses first and that rapidly becomes the consensus.
Do you really think the Brazil No 1 was paid less than the guy with 3 caps for Spain?  

I mean, I do not understand your idea that prior to Conte the board was in controll and then all of a sudden thought, 'you know what, we have been in charge of player recruitment for the last 15 years but you know what, lets give Conte controll'.

Well feel free to argue your case on that - but in a 15 year trend of buying a mixture of young proven players, younger unproven players and a handful of senior very established players, we had a 2 year break where we bought middling aged, middling talented players out of Serie A.  Then Conte was sacked.

2007-09 was awful from a recruitment prespective and it set us back.

Well no - 2007-09 was a period where we extended the life of a great side which lasted to 2010 and then had a final encore in 2012.
Malouda, Anelka, Ivanovic, Belletti, Bosingwa, Deco, arrived, yet we spent really little money, and made no silly overpriced purchase Like Sheva or Torres or Morata.

But sorry - facts => judgement on board is not the way you look at things.

Too short and no command of the box. I dont mind him but he was well over priced.

jangz   
On 11/8/2019 at 2:22 AM, King Kante said:

Avram/Scolari and then buying the likes of Sidwell, Boularouz, Benayoun et el was good planning, especially as Utd were improving and City were coming onto the scene. 

sidwell and Boularouz was bought while JM was here and Benayoun was half a decade later!

On 07/11/2019 at 10:35 PM, chara said:

The keepers you name ...I do not basically disagree with your assessment of them but who actually was available at the time Chelsea went looking?

The whole TC affair has been argued and been discussed to death.

Whatever the conclusions are as to who was at fault etc it still left Chelsea needing a keeper.....seems the young lad who left wasn't fancied for whatever reason and Willie is a good backup but I think over a long period he would come up wanting. There is a reason he came to Chelsea as a backup. Not putting down his contributions over his time as he usually does the business but check back comments about his game after the Cup game that Man City sent a reserve side and kids....credit to Willie but put as much a magnifying glass on him as Kepa.

I hate appearing to be a Kepa apologist because I am not but do want to see a less narrow view of his performances...made an early save against Burnley that kept the game in Chelsea's hands (feet!) and saved two points at the end of the Watford game..not a small contribution to six points just there.

I too worry about a lot of the stuff written about him but try to be a bit more positive about the situation..

Kepa suffers a lot in comparision with PC who was the best keeper I have seen at Chelsea..and Bonetti was and still is my hero....not many can stand against PC

Do not get me wrong, we needed a keeper in Summer 2018. The problem from my perspective is that was obvious from Summer 2017 at the latest. How we then ended up having to leave it until the final days of the Summer 2018 window, when numerous keepers moved that Summer, and Kepa's situation in Jan 2018, tells me that the club did not plan properly. 

On 08/11/2019 at 0:48 AM, Droy was my hero said:

Apprantly is only a guess - no one publishes these things - it just one person guesses first and that rapidly becomes the consensus.
Do you really think the Brazil No 1 was paid less than the guy with 3 caps for Spain?  

Well feel free to argue your case on that - but in a 15 year trend of buying a mixture of young proven players, younger unproven players and a handful of senior very established players, we had a 2 year break where we bought middling aged, middling talented players out of Serie A.  Then Conte was sacked.

Well no - 2007-09 was a period where we extended the life of a great side which lasted to 2010 and then had a final encore in 2012.
Malouda, Anelka, Ivanovic, Belletti, Bosingwa, Deco, arrived, yet we spent really little money, and made no silly overpriced purchase Like Sheva or Torres or Morata.

But sorry - facts => judgement on board is not the way you look at things.

Well considering his fee and the circumstances, yes, I do think he is paid more as we were in a very weak position. TC has said that he was told he would be able to leave and then got told no, whilst Cesc has also said that the board do not tell things as they are and gave TC as an example. I think it is pretty obvious the club but lets agree to disagree as you clearly see the Kepa situation as a well thought out plan. 

Why did we all of a sudden do this? It is not as if Conte was Pep and we needed to give him free regain to get him to sign. It just does not add up that we broke 13 years of strategy for 18-24 months for Conte. 

Belletti was ok but he was a token effort to replace the real target which was Alves. Bosingwa was one of the worst RB's we have had (yes he won the CL but he was dire) and Deco was very much on the downward slope when he signed. Those three players were again players that were signed as stop gaps that allowed the competition to catch up and pass us. As for the other three, Ivanovic was a punt that came good 18 months after signing, Anelka was a Jan buy when we were desperate and down to the bare bones, while he was playing at a club well below his level. Malouda ok, was good signing. My opinion on 2007-2009 in regards to recruitment is that we stood still. In football it is pretty much accepted that if you're not moving forwards you're moving backwards and that is what we did. 

Edited by King Kante