• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

5 hours ago, jangz said:

sidwell and Boularouz was bought while JM was here and Benayoun was half a decade later!

I do not get you're point. My arguement is that the club and a poor recruitment period from 2007 to 2009ish in which sub standard players and managers were brought in that both made us go backwards/allowed ther teams to catch up with us. So, yeah it went on for a while. 

26 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Do not get me wrong, we needed a keeper in Summer 2018. The problem from my perspective is that was obvious from Summer 2017 at the latest. How we then ended up having to leave it until the final days of the Summer 2018 window, when numerous keepers moved that Summer, and Kepa's situation in Jan 2018, tells me that the club did not plan properly. 

You are guessing here.  Clearly there was a 3 way thing going on, with both Kepa and Courtois possibly being at Chelsea or RM.  The £30m we supposedly got for Courtois must have been part of the overall deal.  Just because contracts were signed late, does not mean the deal was negotiated late, just that it was complex.
Again - you are using your prejudice against the board to interpret incompetence and then using that to back up your prejudice.  It is not a valid way to argue.

Well considering his fee and the circumstances, yes, I do think he is paid more as we were in a very weak position

... and therefore that proves we were in a weak position...  circular again.

Why did we all of a sudden do this? It is not as if Conte was Pep and we needed to give him free regain to get him to sign. It just does not add up that we broke 13 years of strategy for 18-24 months for Conte. 

No it really is crazy I agree.  But I have this peculiar method of looking at what happened and then reaching opinions based on the actual facts.   Conte's first window was a success.  The next 3 were a disaster (though Rudiger sneaked in).  How we share out blame for them is an open question and I guess a wide range of opinions are valid.

21 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I do not get you're point. My arguement is that the club and a poor recruitment period from 2007 to 2009ish in which sub standard players and managers were brought in that both made us go backwards/allowed ther teams to catch up with us. So, yeah it went on for a while. 

Except we only brought in a handful of very cheap players, including Ivanovic, Anelka and Malouda, we did extremely well in CL and PL and won the league the following year.
Attacking the board for 2007-09 is an odd charge to make.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:17 AM, Droy was my hero said:

You are guessing here.  Clearly there was a 3 way thing going on, with both Kepa and Courtois possibly being at Chelsea or RM.  The £30m we supposedly got for Courtois must have been part of the overall deal.  Just because contracts were signed late, does not mean the deal was negotiated late, just that it was complex.
Again - you are using your prejudice against the board to interpret incompetence and then using that to back up your prejudice.  It is not a valid way to argue.

... and therefore that proves we were in a weak position...  circular again.

No it really is crazy I agree.  But I have this peculiar method of looking at what happened and then reaching opinions based on the actual facts.   Conte's first window was a success.  The next 3 were a disaster (though Rudiger sneaked in).  How we share out blame for them is an open question and I guess a wide range of opinions are valid.

Except we only brought in a handful of very cheap players, including Ivanovic, Anelka and Malouda, we did extremely well in CL and PL and won the league the following year.
Attacking the board for 2007-09 is an odd charge to make.

Well, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. From my prespective looking at what happened it is clear that the board did not prepare or got taken in by TC/RM. Either way it does not look good whilst I have also failed to see anyother explanation other than people just say that it did not happen because I think the board are good. Also, I do not see how you can reject that such costs are being paid to Kepa when in general the figures produced by the media  have generally correlated with leaks by football leaks. 

Yes, we did and it was a mistake as it set us back from where we were. In order to stay No.1 in sport you always have to improve otherwise you get overtaken. How anyone can think that the board did well in sacking Jose Mk.1 and replacing him with Avram then starting to buying mediocre players that did not push the first XI nor replace the quality that did leave was a good idea is beyound me. The 2007/08 season was pretty similar to Man City's this year except that Man City have not sacked their decorated manager and actually got their first choice FB. 

5 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

I would hope Cech is watching his training sessions 

Even if he is, I doubt he can do much as I find it hard to believe two coaching regimes have failed to try to recognise and remedy his weaknesses. Imo, they probably have tried to do this and realised that they cannot, so instead have attempted to devise ways in which to mitigate his weaknesses. 

22 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Yes, we did and it was a mistake as it set us back from where we were. In order to stay No.1 in sport you always have to improve otherwise you get overtaken.

We stopped being the No 1 spender as prices rose to beyond what RA thought was an economic model.
In retrospect that was the smart thing to do.  Given that, the purchases we made (and didn't make) were terrific.

Why would we try to stay No 1 by being No 1 spenders at 2008/9 prices?

Edited by Droy was my hero

JaneB   
1 hour ago, PatNevin said:

Interesting that Frank wants to bring in Shay Given after concerns over Arrizabalaga's form:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7687131/Chelsea-boss-Frank-Lampard-make-Shay-Given-amid-concerns-Kepa-Arrizabalaga.html

Doesn't say much for Hilario ☹️

1 hour ago, PatNevin said:

Interesting that Frank wants to bring in Shay Given after concerns over Arrizabalaga's form:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7687131/Chelsea-boss-Frank-Lampard-make-Shay-Given-amid-concerns-Kepa-Arrizabalaga.html

I'll wait and see what, if anything, actually  happens - it IS the Mail after all. There has been a fair amount of debate on this subject on here (and I suspect, other fan forums) so it's not staggering to see a rag like the Mail, pick it up and run with it. 

jangz   
15 hours ago, JaneB said:

Doesn't say much for Hilario ☹️

Shay given was also of similar height but on his day was exceptional.. also I dont remember his ever being bullied in his penalty area.. also a model pro.. can only be positive one would assume without knowing the full backroom story .. that is  - if there is one..

• Like 1