• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Maybe but it should be said that the low point in his form was earlier this season, he has on the whole improved since then, if not to last years level.

With luck she cheated on him with old Big Nose in Madrid.  That didn't do KdB's career much harm.

Leo91   

Torres, Morata, Kepa. We've got a knack for over spending on fragile Spaniards. 

11 hours ago, Ham said:

I fully appreciate that this might be atad harsh on my behalf, but seriously. You need to be able to separate your private life from your professional life. That goes with the title 'professional'. 

No doubt that Kepa is weak mentally, that much was already obvious. What's interesting now is whether he can grow and become a bit tougher and actually work on his weaknesses. I haven't seen anything that shows promise in that direction sadly. 

For me there is only one way to go here. Sell him at the first possible opportunity. Has been my take on it for 6 months now. Last season was acceptable given it was his first season here. What's unacceptable is that he's half the keeper he was last season and he just passed the minimum level imo. Now he's distincly average and nowhere near being a goalkeeper for a top side in any of the top european leagues. 

Midtable in Spain or a top side in France/Holland is probably his level and an environment where he could work out. 

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I fully appreciate that this might be atad harsh on my behalf, but seriously. You need to be able to separate your private life from your professional life. That goes with the title 'professional'. 

No doubt that Kepa is weak mentally, that much was already obvious. What's interesting now is whether he can grow and become a bit tougher and actually work on his weaknesses. I haven't seen anything that shows promise in that direction sadly. 

For me there is only one way to go here. Sell him at the first possible opportunity. Has been my take on it for 6 months now. Last season was acceptable given it was his first season here. What's unacceptable is that he's half the keeper he was last season and he just passed the minimum level imo. Now he's distincly average and nowhere near being a goalkeeper for a top side in any of the top european leagues. 

Midtable in Spain or a top side in France/Holland is probably his level and an environment where he could work out. 

Personally I do not buy that he was much better last season. I think the difference is that towards the end of last season his weaknesses started to become very clear and this season they have been exploited. Seriously, what has Kepa done consistently well that has shown that he can be a top level goalkeeper? 

Last season, I did not say much as everyone was going on about how his signing was a stroke of genius, that he was fantastic and we had brought our '10 year goalkeeper'. 

As for comparison, comparing him to Morata is very unfair as Morata is actually a good player who main problem was that didn't really want to be here and he seems childish. Kepa on the other hand is going to be a Drinkwater/Bakayoko type signing in that we are never going to recoup our money on him and no one is going to pay his ridiculous wages. 

Personally, I do not want to see him in the first XI for a good couple of weeks and only then if Willy balls things up. 

56 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Seriously, what has Kepa done consistently well that has shown that he can be a top level goalkeeper? 

My honest assessment?

He’s shown nothing that would indicate that he has the potential to become a top level keeper. 

He has been pretty good at times.  Last season the general thought was that he was at least as good as Courtois the year before.

He did go through a poorer phase a few months ago - but lets all be honest here - he has done nothing much wrong in the last month.  4 of the other big 6 GKs have had to take full blame for at least one goal this season, not Kepa.  And the worst keeping performances we have seen have been by oppo keepers.

We do have a real weakness about 10 feet from in front of goal.  Which largely explains why his save percentage is so low  (I'd be curious to see any stats on say, save percentage for shots outside the box, or from >5 yards).
We are conceding often to looped crosses that drop into 6 yard area.  Coming for those crosses is plain stupid for the keeper unless he knows exactly where it is falling.

It would be nice if he came out for more of the flatter crosses, but it would be nicer still if our CBs dominated the box a lot lot more than they do.  Right now every oppo player knows he has a chance of stabbing one in if they go one against one with our CBs.  By contrast most of our players are still looking for cutbacks and staying away from the big boys.

Jasonb   

I don't think he is terrible yet neither is he good.

I appreciate he has rarely had any sequence of the same defenders in front of him this season.

We already know Willy C. is not error prone, and is also quite short for a keeper and so may well be caught out a few matches down the line.

Then there is the price tag, if we are not to lose a hefty amount he needs to play before season end to facilitate a move, IMO.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

He has been pretty good at times.  Last season the general thought was that he was at least as good as Courtois the year before.

He did go through a poorer phase a few months ago - but lets all be honest here - he has done nothing much wrong in the last month.  4 of the other big 6 GKs have had to take full blame for at least one goal this season, not Kepa.  And the worst keeping performances we have seen have been by oppo keepers.

We do have a real weakness about 10 feet from in front of goal.  Which largely explains why his save percentage is so low  (I'd be curious to see any stats on say, save percentage for shots outside the box, or from >5 yards).
We are conceding often to looped crosses that drop into 6 yard area.  Coming for those crosses is plain stupid for the keeper unless he knows exactly where it is falling.

It would be nice if he came out for more of the flatter crosses, but it would be nicer still if our CBs dominated the box a lot lot more than they do.  Right now every oppo player knows he has a chance of stabbing one in if they go one against one with our CBs.  By contrast most of our players are still looking for cutbacks and staying away from the big boys.

He's been beaten from outside the box more than any keeper in the Premier league. Can't cut and paste on the phone, but I read it about a week ago. 

Any way you can measure the performance of a goal keeper he is found wanting unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's been beaten from outside the box more than any keeper in the Premier league. Can't cut and paste on the phone, but I read it about a week ago. 

Any way you can measure the performance of a goal keeper he is found wanting unfortunately. 

Think I may have read the same article. I also saw one in which he is pretty much bottom of the pile on everything. The only thing he seemed to be ok on was errors, they said he had none, which I think was mainly to do with how they measure it I.e. last person to touch it. 

This aside, any goalkeeper at any level who has a average save percentage of 55% over the length of time we are talking about needs dropping. It is absolutely atrocious. 

Edited by King Kante

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm guessing the piece was similar to this one
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7915817/How-Kepa-worlds-expensive-keeper-Premier-Leagues-WORST.html

They say he was beaten from inside  the box more than anyone (which would suggest his stats from outside shots were better, especially since I'm pretty sure they's have mentioned it otherwise).
Which fits in my "CBs don't dominate centre of our box" theory as a partial explanation.

On the xG argument that most of the pieces comment on.  More actual goals conceded than xGA comes from several things, poor defending, poor blocking, poor keeping and excellent finishing.  It is not a definitive measure of the keeper.
And more, there seems to be a strong link between conceding worse than xGA and scoring worse than xG.   That is teams that outperform xG generally do it in attack and defence.  And teams that underperform (like us) generally do the same.  I doubt this is purely both Tammy and Kepa being crap.  I'm sure there must be something more going on.