• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

22 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm guessing the piece was similar to this one
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7915817/How-Kepa-worlds-expensive-keeper-Premier-Leagues-WORST.html

They say he was beaten from inside  the box more than anyone (which would suggest his stats from outside shots were better, especially since I'm pretty sure they's have mentioned it otherwise).
Which fits in my "CBs don't dominate centre of our box" theory as a partial explanation.

On the xG argument that most of the pieces comment on.  More actual goals conceded than xGA comes from several things, poor defending, poor blocking, poor keeping and excellent finishing.  It is not a definitive measure of the keeper.
And more, there seems to be a strong link between conceding worse than xGA and scoring worse than xG.   That is teams that outperform xG generally do it in attack and defence.  And teams that underperform (like us) generally do the same.  I doubt this is purely both Tammy and Kepa being crap.  I'm sure there must be something more going on.

It was Squawka football on Twitter 

"No other keeper has been beaten from distance as much a Kepa this season , 6 goals"

I can't comment on the provenance  of it but that was what was written .

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It was Squawka football on Twitter 

"No other keeper has been beaten from distance as much a Kepa this season , 6 goals"

I can't comment on the provenance  of it but that was what was written .

OK.  I guess 6 is a fair amount, but I'm quite surprised that none of the bottom keepers have done worse.  And it isn't a percentage.  

Kepa v Tibo

https://www.givemesport.com/1543244-comparing-kepa-arrizabalagas-stats-with-thibaut-courtois-after-he-was-dropped-by-chelsea?amp

Kepa v Alisson (who should have been our target in 2018)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kepa-arrizabalagas-stats-do-not-stack-up-to-72m-goalkeeper-fppdf7wcf

Kepa in general 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7915817/amp/How-Kepa-worlds-expensive-keeper-Premier-Leagues-WORST.html

I know I most likely have a reputation around here for being a gob shite. However, I see it as being brutally honest. Kepa for me is xxxxxxxxx. Other than mistakes (which favours keepers a anyway) there are no stats that back him up to be even a decent keeper, since all stats point to him being dire. As with other players/managers signings for the past decade or so, spin this all you want but the fact of the matter is that Kepa is an absolute disaster and there is no one to blame but the board.  

Edited by Michael Tucker
Unnecessary

7 hours ago, King Kante said:

Kepa v Tibo

https://www.givemesport.com/1543244-comparing-kepa-arrizabalagas-stats-with-thibaut-courtois-after-he-was-dropped-by-chelsea?amp

Kepa v Alisson (who should have been our target in 2018)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kepa-arrizabalagas-stats-do-not-stack-up-to-72m-goalkeeper-fppdf7wcf

Kepa in general 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7915817/amp/How-Kepa-worlds-expensive-keeper-Premier-Leagues-WORST.html

I know I most likely have a reputation around here for being a gob shite. However, I see it as being brutally honest. Kepa for me is xxxxxxxxx. Other than mistakes (which favours keepers a anyway) there are no stats that back him up to be even a decent keeper, since all stats point to him being dire. As with other players/managers signings for the past decade or so, spin this all you want but the fact of the matter is that Kepa is an absolute disaster and there is no one to blame but the board.  

The worrying thing for me is that , if you look at that list , we should be trying to prise someone like Dubravka away from Newcastle but we're actually supposedly looking at Pope who's right down the bottom of the lists with Kepa , it makes you wonder what criteria our "scouts" are looking for , and sadly , I think it's foremost , players we can make a profit on once sold.

If you, or anyone, get's 'worried' by what they read in the Daily Mail, then you've only got yourself to blame. It's just another rag that spouts bs because they know that it sells papers (or creates hits on the web). The club has never let on to the the media who they're really looking at/thinking of signing. I really can't see that this will have  changed.

40 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

If you, or anyone, get's 'worried' by what they read in the Daily Mail, then you've only got yourself to blame. It's just another rag that spouts bs because they know that it sells papers (or creates hits on the web). The club has never let on to the the media who they're really looking at/thinking of signing. I really can't see that this will have  changed.

I'm not worried about what the DM are saying , I'm worried about the statistics that show that Kepa is a poor keeper and that his proposed replacement is also a dud , I would have thought any Chelsea supporter would be worried by that . 

chelboy   

We have all seen the stats but more importantly we have seen the amount of goals he should have saved this season. His weaknesses are also similar to the ones our defence have which makes it more of a mismatch in terms of style. I definitely see us buying a GK in the summer for around £30-40M regardless of how well Kepa plays from now on.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the board take this one. There may be clashes with the board and Lamps on this one but in the end I think Kepa will be moved on. 

2 hours ago, chelboy said:

We have all seen the stats but more importantly we have seen the amount of goals he should have saved this season. His weaknesses are also similar to the ones our defence have which makes it more of a mismatch in terms of style. I definitely see us buying a GK in the summer for around £30-40M regardless of how well Kepa plays from now on.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the board take this one. There may be clashes with the board and Lamps on this one but in the end I think Kepa will be moved on. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the player pushed for a move, comes across as a similar character to Torres and Morata who both yearned for a return to Spain as soon as their form nosedived. That would take some of the heat off Lampard if there is a conflict with the board. Problem is who could afford to take him and his wages, I am not clued up on which teams may need a keeper. I read that his replacement at Bilbao, Unai Simon, has done well and is highly regarded so I presume not back there.

The only positive is that even if we only get £30m for him that should be enough to sign a better keeper.

Hopefully being dropped and having the time to reflect he will have a better second half to the season and maybe the above won't be necessary.

paulw66   
4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not worried about what the DM are saying , I'm worried about the statistics that show that Kepa is a poor keeper and that his proposed replacement is also a dud , I would have thought any Chelsea supporter would be worried by that . 

You've somewhat missed the point. Who says Pope is the proposed repalcement? The Daily Rag. 

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You've somewhat missed the point. Who says Pope is the proposed repalcement? The Daily Rag. 

I think it was mentioned on Sky the other day , that's where I thought I'd got it from although to be honest I have a voracious appetite where the club is concerned and read hundreds of different sources.

Perhaps , what we could do is not mention any proposed transfer rumours and only talk about what the club tell us ?

That would certainly be a very short conversation . 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Haha 1