• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

At risk of going round in circles, it wasn't an issue last year.......what has changed? 

We are 3 goals shy of matching last year's total conceded and we are in mid Feb. 

We have switched GKs, and we are conceding goals still, two on Monday against a team who hadn't scored an away goal in 2020.

Anyway, this is pointless. I am not saying Kepa has had a good season, but there is more to it. 

I think if the foundation is weak the building will fall. 

He was OK without being great last season and although he cannot do anything about the price he cost he has not improved and in all honesty has gotten worse. 

Maybe last season the difference was that we kept the ball better because of Hazard , just like we made more chances and scored more goals because of Hazard?

The knock on effect being that he faced less shots on goal? 

Maybe Cahill leaving is the catalyst? 

Edited by Mark Kelly

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

Cahill was exiled long before.  Luiz?

Oh yeah! 

Kezza   

Even Cech and Cudicini can't save Kepa. I'm sure either of them could have told Kepa to not stand and give up easily and watch balls go in. Even in training he does that. Feels like he's lazy to dive for a low probability save or something lile that.

Kepa is a poor keeper. I pointed this out earlier in the season and things have not changed. As Mark says, what does he do well? Kepa for me got a lot of leeway last season because he was not Tibo, signed for a lot of money and because he was not a Conte signing so thus apart of a new glorious rebuild. 

As for last season, the difference is that he has been found out and he is now being exploited. I would be very interested to see his stats from last season and see how they measure over the first half/three quarters of the season to the last half/quater. My feeling is that his stats from last season are probably boosted by his initial efforts. 

Edited by King Kante

14 hours ago, King Kante said:

Kepa for me got a lot of leeway last season because he was not Tibo, signed for a lot of money and because he was not a Conte signing so thus apart of a new glorious rebuild. 

He was given a lot of leeway because he was a last minute panic buy who was brought in from a different league. Giving him some leeway was the right thing to do. 

I wouldn't sell Kepa but I would get in a better keeper and see how they both look in training. At the moment there is no financial benefit to keeping him as, if sold, we would post a massive loss on him.

But if we keep him and add in someone really good to rival him, he could be a very useful backup like Cudicini was to Cech. Or Cech was to TC. Its just that Kepa would have to be professional and accepting of that type of role. If not, ship him out.

Lampard has to be smart about things as well because he has a long list now of players who it seems will have to be moved on. Maybe 8 players or so by my count and I'm wondering if that's going to make Lampard look bad to our board of idiots. But really its more of a reflection on the poor recruitment over the last 3 years IMO.

Edited by Blue_In_Every_Way

5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

He was given a lot of leeway because he was a last minute panic buy who was brought in from a different league. Giving him some leeway was the right thing to do. 

I wouldn't sell Kepa but I would get in a better keeper and see how they both look in training. At the moment there is no financial benefit to keeping him as, if sold, we would post a massive loss on him.

But if we keep him and add in someone really good to rival him, he could be a very useful backup like Cudicini was to Cech. Or Cech was to TC. Its just that Kepa would have to be professional and accepting of that type of role. If not, ship him out.

Lampard has to be smart about things as well because he has a long list now of players who it seems will have to be moved on. Maybe 8 players or so by my count and I'm wondering if that's going to make Lampard look bad to our board of idiots. But really its more of a reflection on the poor recruitment over the last 3 years IMO.

According to vocal group on here he was a magificient buy that well thought out, showed how great our scouting system was and a completely logical buy who was brought in early during the window. I am not sure that is why he got so much love. 

paulw66   
37 minutes ago, King Kante said:

According to vocal group on here he was a magificient buy that well thought out, showed how great our scouting system was and a completely logical buy who was brought in early during the window. I am not sure that is why he got so much love. 

The idea that he was a last minute panic buy is an outright myth. Both Kepa and his agent confirmed Chelsea made contact several weeks before the transfer. The fact it hasn't worked out as we would have liked is a different matter. 

paulw66   
5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

He got a lot of leeway because last season he was playing much better. 14 PL clean sheets. 

One awful year of recruitment. The rest has been fine. 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Nonsense.  He was a buy that fitted the pattern of well thought out buys of first team players, in contrast to the pattern of poorly thought out buys of players who shouldn't make the bench.

And unlike all Cutie's buys (except Kante who was surely bought by the club in advance), he has been first choice for all his games except just 2.

37 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

One awful year of recruitment. The rest has been fine. 

Yup.  Even Conte's first window was pretty good.