• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

6 hours ago, King Kante said:

Further to only making contact two to three weeks before we signed him there are also the inconvenient truths that he had a buyout of £18m six months prior and it was obvious TC was leaving for about another 18 months prior to that. How anyone can put him down as a well thought out/planned piece of business is simply not supported by the facts. 

It has been pointed out that he was injured when that buy-out expired and reports at the time were that it could be very long term.

3 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Secondly, Courtois openly said that he was promised his move to Madrid the summer before he left... yet we closed the deal for Kepa in the late summer the year after... you're right we dont know... but I'll tell you what, the details dont support the point you're trying to make which is that Kepa was a well-scouted, good investment. 

So why were RM courting Kepa - and forget pretending that it was only the media making things up.  

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It has been pointed out that he was injured when that buy-out expired and reports at the time were that it could be very long term.

So why were RM courting Kepa - and forget pretending that it was only the media making things up.  

You simply cannot believe anything you read in the papers , a wise owl told me that .

45 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You simply cannot believe anything you read in the papers , a wise owl told me that .

Sure - but if the highly rated goal keeper neither plays, nor is on the bench for the best part of a month, that gives some credence to reports of an injury.

On 20/02/2020 at 10:16 AM, paulw66 said:

How contradictory. Of course transfers don't happen over a day or so.........yet you are trying to make out like we bought him purely in the 24 hours after Courtois went. 

There is also a difference between contact being made and how long he was scouted. We have no idea how long he was scouted for. 

No I am not being contradictory. I am saying that contacting someone for a transfer of his magnitude only 'several' weeks before it went through constitutes a panic signing. 

On 20/02/2020 at 0:23 PM, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Almost every Spanish youngster playing even slightly above mediocre is linked with Real Madrid - especially when they had well documented problems with Navas. So that's hardly a gauge of Kepa's ability.

Secondly, Courtois openly said that he was promised his move to Madrid the summer before he left... yet we closed the deal for Kepa in the late summer the year after... you're right we dont know... but I'll tell you what, the details dont support the point you're trying to make which is that Kepa was a well-scouted, good investment

This. It was obvious for a very long time that TC was off. However, we left it until last minute to actually keep our promise/acquire another goalkeeper. 

Edited by King Kante

4 hours ago, King Kante said:

No I am not being contradictory. I am saying that contacting someone for a transfer of his magnitude only 'several' weeks before it went through constitutes a panic signing. 

There is contacting and contacting.  When a player says I was contacted, he knows full well he can't discuss any discussions through his agent that happen before the selling club give approval.  
I was not contacted until....  is one of those bullshit statements that you can ignore as soon as they are typed.

4 hours ago, King Kante said:

This. It was obvious for a very long time that TC was off. However, we left it until last minute to actually keep our promise/acquire another goalkeeper. 

Not to RM it wasn't.  Or they wouldn't have been interested in Kepa.

Regardless of whether he was a panic buy or not, whether we contacted him 3 weeks prior to Big Bose leaving or 3 months... It sure looks like his career here with us is over. He’s benched for a 38 year old keeper who never was world class and is on a steep decline. 

I don’t see a way back for him. Especially since he’s a worse keeper and benched on merit! 

Just now, The_Ghost said:

Regardless of whether he was a panic buy or not, whether we contacted him 3 weeks prior to Big Bose leaving or 3 months... It sure looks like his career here with us is over. He’s benched for a 38 year old keeper who never was world class and is on a steep decline. 

I don’t see a way back for him. Especially since he’s a worse keeper and benched on merit! 

Back within a month - watch.

Caballero is 38.  His great contribution is his professionalism, staying very fit and ready to step in at any moment.  In many ways he deserves a run of games, and Frank seems to be a manager who likes to make room for his marginal players to get games (which is why the Giroud story has been so odd).  But Caballero isn't going to start for the rest of the season, by April this will all look very different.

chelboy   
58 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Caballero is 38.  His great contribution is his professionalism, staying very fit and ready to step in at any moment.  In many ways he deserves a run of games, and Frank seems to be a manager who likes to make room for his marginal players to get games (which is why the Giroud story has been so odd).  But Caballero isn't going to start for the rest of the season, by April this will all look very different.

Not so sure. Unless Cabby throws one in I don’t see Kepa coming back. I also think the defenders would have had a word with the manager about Kepa. They may feel more confident with Cabby behind them or a better understanding with Cabby who does come out more than Kepa. This is deeper than just form. Either way next season Kepa won’t be our no1. Can’t see it happening. 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I suppose it’s a scenario that can happen. But I wouldn’t bet money on it. Kepa is useless so unless Caballero drops his performances significantly Kepa won’t get in the team on merit. 

On 21/02/2020 at 4:47 PM, Droy was my hero said:

There is contacting and contacting.  When a player says I was contacted, he knows full well he can't discuss any discussions through his agent that happen before the selling club give approval.  
I was not contacted until....  is one of those bullshit statements that you can ignore as soon as they are typed.

Not to RM it wasn't.  Or they wouldn't have been interested in Kepa.

Two things. Buying Kepa does not mean they would not have brought TC. From watching Kepa it is clear he is not a top rank GK. Second, TC has openly stated that he got promised that he would be allowed to leave, if Madrid fell through then he may have gone elsewhere. Either way, I think it is quite clear he wanted to leave as way else would he turn down new contracts with serious increases for the best part of two years if he intended to stay? He had Hazard followed the same path. If Hazard had any intention in staying he also would have signed a new contract. 

6 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I suppose it’s a scenario that can happen. But I wouldn’t bet money on it. Kepa is useless so unless Caballero drops his performances significantly Kepa won’t get in the team on merit. 

Indeed he is, I am still waiting for people to come up with a list of things he does well. Do not expect to see him back until the FA Cup match unless Willy does something drastically bad.

Edited by King Kante