• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

16 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

It can't be a coincidence that the likes of Allisson and Ederson are way above him in the save %s. 

I was talking about "that game" as the one that had finished minutes before, as I presume Paulw was too.

Without defending Kepa though there is a big difference between how teams attack us and how they attack say Liverpool.  I can't remember the last time someone gave up all pretence of having a go at our defence and lofted a tame shot into the arms of our keeper.  Happens all the time against Liverpool.  

Lets face it, if it were as easy to judge keepers on stats as it is to judge strikers on goals, we would have been doing it for years.

chara   

Page 10.."Keepers Book of Zen"...."When you get the angle dead right and make the "easy" save..expect the "Striker shot straight at the keeper"

On 13/07/2020 at 6:27 PM, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

It can't be a coincidence that the likes of Allisson and Ederson are way above him in the save %s. 

The easy explanation is that the shots are hard to save but that doesn't quite stick.

If you look like one of the worst in the league and if the stats support that as well, well, its pretty hard to argue with that.

There was a time when Fabregas, for instance, would be accused of being lazy/lacking workrate and then the stats would completely disprove that. Michael Ballack as well.

Of course it’s not. Just like it wasn’t a coincidence Torres, a £50m striker, was generally **** for us. 

if you’re striker not scoring goals or a goalkeeper not making saves it generally means you are not good enough. The excuses I’ve heard in Kepas defense has more to do with his transfer fee and contract length and very little to do with his actual ability. 

paulw66   

The Atletico assistant manager is quoted as saying that "the Russian wants Oblak"

bert19   
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

The Atletico assistant manager is quoted as saying that "the Russian wants Oblak"

And who can blame him? 

I dismissed the idea when it popped up a few weeks back, now I'm not so sure it's as silly as I first thought. 

Saw a stat  Twitter. Haven’t been arsed to verify it but the poster stated that Cech conceded his 109th goal after 7 seasons whereas Kepa managed to do that in 95 games and under two seasons...

Remarkable if true. 

12 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Saw a stat  Twitter. Haven’t been arsed to verify it but the poster stated that Cech conceded his 109th goal after 7 seasons whereas Kepa managed to do that in 95 games and under two seasons...

Remarkable if true. 

There was a great one on twitter the other day it was a map of the goal and showed exactly where he was beaten and where he saved them . Basically if you shoot right at him he "might" stop it , either side or high and low and no chance .

Sad but true.

Willy being almost as fallible is the only thing keeping him in a job. 

Edited by Mark Kelly

chelboy   
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Remarkable if true. 

No point comparing him to Cech it’s not really a fair comparison , they played in completely different teams plus we could clearly see with our eyes that Cech was a elite GK and Kepa simply isn't. We are better of comparing his stats this season with Cabby who I reckon has a better Xga as Kepa’s one can’t really get any worse.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

There was a great one on twitter the other day it was a map of the goal and showed exactly where he was beaten and where he saved them . Basically if you shoot right at him he "might" stop it , either side or high and low and no chance .

Sad but true.

Willy being almost as fallible is the only thing keeping him in a job. 

Any chance of linking the tweet? It’s probably best to watch the goals we conceded while looking at this map. I reckon if we look back at all the goals conceded this season we could find around 10 goals that shouldn’t have gone in despite the poor defending . Some of these are points costing goals too. I remember the one Bellerin scored which I felt he should have saved. 

8 minutes ago, chelboy said:

who I reckon has a better Xga as Kepa’s one can’t really get any worse.

XGa if it means anything it is a measure of both the finishing abilities of the oppo, and the quality of the whole defence, not just the GK.

Keepers are only a small part of it.