• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

12 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Any chance of linking the tweet? It’s probably best to watch the goals we conceded while looking at this map. I reckon if we look back at all the goals conceded this season we could find around 10 goals that shouldn’t have gone in despite the poor defending . Some of these are points costing goals too. I remember the one Bellerin scored which I felt he should have saved. 

From OPTA apparently 

kepa.png

Edited by Mark Kelly

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

From OPTA apparently 

I think it would be a lot more interesting to see where the shots are arriving from.  And how close the nearest defender was.

But generally selectively chosen slides cherry picked by journalists from a source not available to the public are dubious.
What does xGOT even mean?  Can we see xGot is a useful measure or does it produce random numbers for all?

23 minutes ago, chelboy said:

I reckon if we look back at all the goals conceded this season we could find around 10 goals that shouldn’t have gone in despite the poor defending .

I reckon 10+ such goals is par for a PL keeper.  De Gea is certainly worse than that this season.

This is more about finger pointing than trying to establish evidence - very much the motif of 2020.

chelboy   
28 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

XGa if it means anything it is a measure of both the finishing abilities of the oppo, and the quality of the whole defence, not just the GK.

Keepers are only a small part of it.

Well sort of but when it’s in a big minus it does also show conceding goals that you shouldn’t have. You can’t be that unlucky during 38 games. The best one for GK’s are the expected goals that end up on target. 

28 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

From OPTA apparently 

kepa.png

Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I reckon 10+ such goals is par for a PL keeper.  De Gea is certainly worse than that this season.

This is more about finger pointing than trying to establish evidence - very much the motif of 2020.

10 goals that I think a GK at Kepa’s level can save. If I based it of an elite GK I reckon it could get to about 20+ In all competitions . Like I said on Wednesday I don’t think there’s much Kepa can do for Keita goal but an elite GK( and a taller one) probably saves that. Same with the Zaha goal. I don’t see Courtois or Cech being beaten by either. 

17 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Well sort of but when it’s in a big minus it does also show conceding goals that you shouldn’t have. You can’t be that unlucky during 38 games. 

But not why.  Was that header from 3 yards under great pressure from a big CF, or was it free?  It is a tool to bash the back 5 sure.  But also to congratulate the finishing of Liverpool and others.  The xG diff of 3.5 from Wednesday was all due to magnificent finishing and that is a quarter of the total in one game.
We have seen some great finishing and really crap defending, putting the whole xGA difference down to 1 person is silly.

22 minutes ago, chelboy said:

The best one for GK’s are the expected goals that end up on target. 

As a said, a stat only available on OPTA which gets cherry picked by journos with a story to write and we have no idea how random it is.
Best perhaps in its intention, totally useless as a tool without access to the whole database.

25 minutes ago, chelboy said:

10 goals that I think a GK at Kepa’s level can save. If I based it of an elite GK I reckon it could get to about 20+ In all competitions . Like I said on Wednesday I don’t think there’s much Kepa can do for Keita goal but an elite GK( and a taller one) probably saves that. Same with the Zaha goal. I don’t see Courtois or Cech being beaten by either. 

Well there you are then, you think Kepa is crap because he didn't save the Zaha goal.
Conviction based evidence - why bother with OPTA?

You have to pity players like Zaha, de Bruyne or TAA.  They score a worldie and it means nothing because people have already decided on Kepa.

chelboy   
18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But not why.  Was that header from 3 yards under great pressure from a big CF, or was it free?  It is a tool to bash the back 5 sure.  But also to congratulate the finishing of Liverpool and others.  The xG diff of 3.5 from Wednesday was all due to magnificent finishing and that is a quarter of the total in one game.
We have seen some great finishing and really crap defending, putting the whole xGA difference down to 1 person is silly.

As a said, a stat only available on OPTA which gets cherry picked by journos with a story to write and we have no idea how random it is.
Best perhaps in its intention, totally useless as a tool without access to the whole database.

Well there you are then, you think Kepa is crap because he didn't save the Zaha goal.
Conviction based evidence - why bother with OPTA?

You have to pity players like Zaha, de Bruyne or TAA.  They score a worldie and it means nothing because people have already decided on Kepa.

Not saying the goals we conceded are all his fault. No one denies that the defending has been poor but some shots have gone in that he should be saving.

I don’t think Kepa is crap I just think he’s average. I don’t think the Zaha or Keita goals are worldies but whatever. 

Personally I don't think he had hardly any chance with any of the Liverpool goals other than the killer when he got a weak wrist to the shot but the fact is , no matter how ropey (very) the defence has been in front of him , how dreadful (very) the midfield shield has been , no matter how stupid (very) our collective players are at times , he's simply a very average keeper with no discernible strengths to his game.

Good shot stopper ? if they're softly hit and right at him, does have ability though can make some really excellent save at times 

Good organiser of the defence ? Nope Says little

Good distribution ? Not terribly , not awful 

Good on crosses ? File under Dracula , Count..

Reliable? Not the way we want it to be , reliable in as much as , if you shoot , you're more than likely to score , 

And he's been scouted and we've decided he's worth £71m .

Now , whoever scouted him , has no business being a scout and should be relieved of duty forthwith in case they do it again.

He's not very good and his defenders have gone from "well , what do you expect they were three yards out" to " That was a worldy , nobody is saving that "

So , he's crap on crosses , can't save the near shots ,can't save the far shots.

I've said it before with players and am repeating it now , nothing would please me more to see the boy become a Chelsea legend , I'd be absolutely ecstatic but he's poor.

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 1

chara   
25 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally I don't think he had hardly any chance with any of the Liverpool goals other than the killer when he got a weak wrist to the shot but the fact is , no matter how ropey (very) the defence has been in front of him , how dreadful (very) the midfield shield has been , no matter how stupid (very) our collective players are at times , he's simply a very average keeper with no discernible strengths to his game.

Good shot stopper ? if they're softly hit and right at him, does have ability though can make some really excellent save at times 

Good organiser of the defence ? Nope Says little

Good distribution ? Not terribly , not awful 

Reliable? Not the way we want it to be , reliable in as much as , if you shoot , you're more than likely to score , 

And he's been scouted and we've decided he's worth £71m .

Now , whoever scouted him , has no business being a scout and should be relieved of duty forthwith in case they do it again.

He's not very good and his defenders have gone from "well , what do you expect they were three yards out" to " That was a worldy , nobody is saving that "

So , he's crap on crosses , can't save the near shots ,can't save the far shots.

I've said it before with players and am repeating it now , nothing would please me more to see the boy become a Chelsea legend , I'd be absolutely ecstatic but he's poor.

Well stated Mark..I withdrew from the Kepa debate way back as most negatives were no where near as well put as your observations.

I especially like your last line..spot on...and as it should be for any Chelsea player.

My only other input is the price tag....not his fault and really should not be included in the negatives...any actual playing criticism is acceptable .....not as bad as made out but not as good as we should expect...reminds me of quite a few keepers from the past who got a "bad' rep and never quite made it back....Day from West Ham comes to mind....made a reasonable career but never made it "back"...seem to remember him at Leeds and by then a good average solid keeper. Oh and of course I remember him "under pressure" coming to SB with WH and having a blinder!...no surprise there!

kratos   
56 minutes ago, chara said:

Well stated Mark..I withdrew from the Kepa debate way back as most negatives were no where near as well put as your observations.

I especially like your last line..spot on...and as it should be for any Chelsea player.

My only other input is the price tag....not his fault and really should not be included in the negatives...any actual playing criticism is acceptable .....not as bad as made out but not as good as we should expect...reminds me of quite a few keepers from the past who got a "bad' rep and never quite made it back....Day from West Ham comes to mind....made a reasonable career but never made it "back"...seem to remember him at Leeds and by then a good average solid keeper. Oh and of course I remember him "under pressure" coming to SB with WH and having a blinder!...no surprise there!

Not forgetting my personal favourite Froda Grodas.

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

LOL.....

chara   
16 minutes ago, Liquidator said:

LOL.....

Yep had that thrown at me after a game ..... terrible swirling wind that moved the ball all over the place..a keeper's nightmare...any commitment was an invitation to disaster..the comment from someone who I had not played in the same team with  before...won as I remember but an example of talk before knowing whats what..not aimed at anyone here..just an example of the difference in positions...amusing line though....