• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

Sir   
13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

We bid for a keeper called Quim once.

We were linked with Assmann for a while also. 

jangz   
3 hours ago, Sir said:

6’2 I think? What was Thibaut? Must of been around 6’5 or something? I’m not an expert, and it would seem too obvious to say ‘the talker the better’ when there are so many caveats RE atributes of size, reaction; and whatever else in the goalkeeping realms, but, Thibaut did look huge in the sticks, and I’d rather having a taller goalkeeper than a smaller one, yet, agility and all that? Again, not an expert so I have no idea, but as statesman Thibaut certainly was a unit in goal, and obviously ‘better’ at catching from crosses and corners due to height, but I don’t know if ‘smaller’ keepers practice punching the ball away more rather than catching to make up for height differences etc 

How good is Kepa, though? Anyone got any real insight on him?

found this link pretty glowing in praise to be honest.. even if its 80% of what this syas I am good :)

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/who-is-kepa-arrizabalaga-chelseas-replacement-for-thibaut-courtois-who-came-close-to-joining-real-a3907501.html

paulw66   
14 hours ago, Ham said:

Interesting that Kepa said that he was aware of our interest for 2 weeks and that we'd made a couple of unsuccessful bids on that time.  Shows how much the ITKs in the press know.

Makes our pursuit look more joined up than was being reported 

Once again reinforces the view of some on here that Chelsea actually do most of their business quietly and efficiently before news gets out with a day to spare.

Spot on. Amazing how many of the "experts" called it a panic buy, when in reality, it had been in the pipeline probably for months. The club must have had doubts about Courtois staying, and must have started to research alternatives, but because most of the press didn't get wind of it, and most of the experts know nothing about him, then it's a panic. 

It also reinforces those who believe Courtois was not required at Cobham for those 2 days he was supposedly AWOL. The transfers were known well before. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Spot on. Amazing how many of the "experts" called it a panic buy, when in reality, it had been in the pipeline probably for months. The club must have had doubts about Courtois staying, and must have started to research alternatives, but because most of the press didn't get wind of it, and most of the experts know nothing about him, then it's a panic. 

It also reinforces those who believe Courtois was not required at Cobham for those 2 days he was supposedly AWOL. The transfers were known well before. 

No, Courtois AWOL forcing Chelsea to rush into a panic buy then that done we finally offered a deal to RM who despite sitting on Navas, offered us £35m for the guy who was going to be on our bench for a season.  That the kind of story you have to run if another paper has it.

GURJ SS   
On 09/08/2018 at 11:33 AM, thevelourfog said:

I guess we'll all have a slightly different idea on what 'world class' means, but unfortunately I think this is where you are wrong; if reports have anything to them (and I admit, I largely think they don't) £70m wouldn't have got you Zaha, Bailey, Pusilic etc., never mind top-table established attacking quality. The days of getting a Hazard or Willian for £30m-odd are long gone, and you now need to pay twice as much for potential. That we had to pay £70m for a keeper with less than 100 senior starts in their career tells you exactly that.

If we had tabled £70M for either of the players you mentioned they'd be at the club now, truth is paper talk is always inflating prices for headlines. Kepa had a release clause, if he didn't he would have been cheaper than Alison - not saying we shouldn't have paid it but he isn't a £70M keeper yet(even in today's market).

Even if £70M doesn't get you a top class player, but if gets you at least 85% of one, and that's key in making decisions to strengthen the team. Our attack is currently missing so much potency that it should have been our priority.

I've got absolutely nothing against Kepa, I think it's a great deal over 7 years, but I think going with Hart for one season and buying Kepa next season while using the money for a top player would have been a better option.

• Confused 1

his reluctance to leave his goal line concerns me

On 11/08/2018 at 3:15 PM, GURJ SS said:

If we had tabled £70M for either of the players you mentioned they'd be at the club now, truth is paper talk is always inflating prices for headlines. Kepa had a release clause, if he didn't he would have been cheaper than Alison - not saying we shouldn't have paid it but he isn't a £70M keeper yet(even in today's market).

Even if £70M doesn't get you a top class player, but if gets you at least 85% of one, and that's key in making decisions to strengthen the team. Our attack is currently missing so much potency that it should have been our priority.

I've got absolutely nothing against Kepa, I think it's a great deal over 7 years, but I think going with Hart for one season and buying Kepa next season while using the money for a top player would have been a better option.

I wouldn't want Hart for 1 match personally.