• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Again, not defending Kepa ......

Don't worry, Droy the Kepa apologist will be back along shortly......

chara   
46 minutes ago, Liquidator said:

Don't worry, Droy the Kepa apologist will be back along shortly......

Apologists?....come on now.....no one on here has disagreed regarding Kepa's loss of form this season. The closest to what appears to be the definition of an apologists are voices calling for a little more balance. 

On balance I think he should be replaced as I really don't feel he can "come back" at Chelsea....confidence shot and seems to lack the inner strength to overcome setbacks. 

However some of the criticism at times borders on the ridiculous. To read bitter squabbles regarding his performance or lack of it in games he is not playing would be funny if it was not taken as proof of a bad keeper!

TC was a better keeper but it would not be hard to point a finger at some of his weaker points..or any keeper for that matter... Kepa..too short..stands wrong..should have done this...wrong colour boots badly tied......promising keeper when bought..regressed for what ever reason...may revive his promise elsewhere..he's a person..not an Aunt Sally target...move on.......

9 hours ago, chelboy said:

If the first and third stats are true, my word. 

I take it we have the 730th worst defence then in a 10+ game spell and it’s not really Kepa’s fault?!

The more analysis on him, the worse it gets. How we scouted him and decided he would become our No.1 for the next 5 years is worrying. It’s like buying Cab for £71M at the level that he is now but age being 24.  I would have given it a year as I do with most transfers then start looking at what makes him a top GK or with potential to become one. It would become more obvious that nothing stands out and perhaps the scouting/recruitment department  misread the players ability. 

For a GK to not move for a third of the goals he conceded that just brings his anticipation into question. It’s not like you are going to save all these shots without moving. And it’s not like all these shots were rockets flying at lightning speed. 

Tim Krul has the worst defence by far yet he has performed better than Kepa in nearly every aspect. I can understand Kepa not performing as well as other top 6 GK’s but when it’s worst than the Norwich GK something is clearly not right. I don’t think he is as bad as what we have seen this year but I think it’s pretty obvious to me he is just an average GK. No.2 GK for any top club. 

Nearly every available stat we can find just screams Kepa isn’t good enough. Just take this with corners, we are worst in the league by some distance. When you consider how poor Kepa is at crosses you start to understand how much pressure our defense is under at every corner. They basically know that unless they can clear the corner it’s a goal scoring opportunity for the opposition. 

there's no way you can have a functioning defense with that lack of trust in your keeper. Or that he concedes every second shot that he’s faced with. I mean that’s just absolutely appalling. That he doesn’t even move 30% of the times is basically the clearest indication yet that he hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing or what he should be doing. No anticipation, no understanding, bad foot work and technique and very poor reactions. 

He’s a goalkeeper who’s strongest attribute is still bang on average. 

3 hours ago, Ham said:

You're forgetting how he often chooses to reach for the ball with the hand that's furthest away. 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Again, not defending Kepa, but this isn't unusual for high shots from range. If you dive to your left, once you are in mid air, your right arm is higher, so has more reach 

It’s true that keepers, especially when lacking height, uses the opposite hand to where they dive for high shots. So agreeing with Paul here. 

2 hours ago, chara said:

However some of the criticism at times borders on the ridiculous. To read bitter squabbles regarding his performance or lack of it in games he is not playing would be funny if it was not taken as proof of a bad keeper!

Understatement.  Some of the ranting is stark staring insane.  Courtois may have shagged KdB's girlfriend, I can only wonder what Kepa has done to so many.

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

here's no way you can have a functioning defense with that lack of trust in your keeper.

Or a Functioning Keeper with such a sloppy defence.  The wronged boyfriend theme continues with a wholly one eyed interpretation of everything.
It is Gordon is a moron again,  not fair.

53 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Understatement.  Some of the ranting is stark staring insane.  Courtois may have shagged KdB's girlfriend, I can only wonder what Kepa has done to so many.

Or a Functioning Keeper with such a sloppy defence.  The wronged boyfriend theme continues with a wholly one eyed interpretation of everything.
It is Gordon is a moron again,  not fair.

You are literally the only person who thinks he's a good keeper. 

Congratulations, you're wrong. 

Ham   
Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Careful now Mark.  You're ranting. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't think I have said he was a good keeper in the last 6 months.  I have simply said a lot of bollox has been said.  There is a big gap between those two.

chara   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't think I have said he was a good keeper in the last 6 months.  I have simply said a lot of bollox has been said.  There is a big gap between those two.

Sorry..have to agree with Droy......not a good fit in anyway at the minute for Chelsea...probably never will be but such one dimensional criticism is not worthy of so many astute football aficionados on here...he's not playing well but when he does do something good it's ignored or derided.....

My other input....all the best..and not so best!...keepers I have watched especially at Chelsea..lets say The Cat,PC and Eddie N as examples....were instantly recognisable if a quick shot of a game came up with no attribution as to teams any of the three I mentioned would be instantly recognised by the way they moved. Same for any Chelsea player of standing you have watched for any time..think a b/w montage fuzzy with no team colours....is that Zola? is that Drogba?....no it would be that's Zola that's Drogba  .....with Kepa I don't get that immediate personal identification.....thereby hangs a question.....and please no comments about picking the ball out of the net etc..cheap shot..and I know what I just typed!

We all agree he has not fulfilled his potential but he has been on the winning side occasionally!......and.if you have never seriously stood on a goal line please do not get into deep arguments about what HE should have done....it's enough to state an opinion rather than analyse every second of what is always a very individual response to the situation and indeed..some you win some you lose....the very best lose less than the also rans....

Ham   

"Bollox" "insane" and "ranting" for criticising the most expensive goalkeeper in the world with the worst save percentage in PL history?

31 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

As much as I don't think he's up to much myself I didn't think he was as poor last year, I truly believe a more robust shield and our defensive woes will be much reduced and I say that as a fan of what Jorginho brings to the side too, so it's a difficult one. 

I have seen him make some excellent saves so I know he's got it in him somewhere. 

I do think his confidence appears to have deserted him, maybe he's really been hit hard with homesickness, but at this point I think a loan to a Spanish side would do him wonders.