• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

In the beginning he seemed fixed to his line and his reluctance to come out concerned me but that seems to have improved in recent games, perhaps he has understood the role  a bit better. For the money these days you need to be more than a shot stopper you need to be able to link the play and be there for your defenders and be able to play the ball with your feet. You can not always do that on your goal line. He is a small keeper he should be mobile. 

chara   
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, Droy was my hero said:

Three quarters good so far.  He is 24 so as a Keeper he has 10 good years ahead of him, and shouldn't really be peaking yet, so the price doesn't look so silly, and we at least know his standards are there or there about.
Compare that to a 24 year old AM who has 6 or 7 years ahead of him, and has should already be playing as well as he'll ever do.  (No specific person in mind)

Hopefully he will become more dominant in the air in good time.

Pretty much agree Droy..I try to watch those times that he is supposed to have stayed on his line ..many times it looks to me that there is no real path through the body mass in front of him and although in the flow of the game it may appear a "rooted" situation as usual there is more to it all. Not dismissing criticism as unfounded but a young keeper in a new league and new players. I see also he is second with the Citeh keeper for clean sheets..8 I believe..so that's not too bad..is it?..Remember PC joining Chelsea on tour out here and commenting to a Chelsea mate that he "looked the business"...and I always liked Carlo....The Kepa didn't hit me the same way but I liked the look of him and he seems to have the right attitude..unlike TC as he progressed at Chelsea but to my mind regressed through a bad attitude in the goal. believe he will improve with age as should all good/great keepers.

Sciatika   
On 09/12/2018 at 5:33 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Three quarters good so far.  He is 24 so as a Keeper he has 10 good years ahead of him, and shouldn't really be peaking yet, so the price doesn't look so silly, and we at least know his standards are there or there about.
Compare that to a 24 year old AM who has 6 or 7 years ahead of him, and has should already be playing as well as he'll ever do.  (No specific person in mind)

Hopefully he will become more dominant in the air in good time.

A bit off topic, but I don't think a 24-year old AM "should already be playing as well as he'll ever do". I think 28-30 is about optimal depending on injury and how much the player relies on pace. I do think the skills should be there by then because it gets harder to learn motor skills and physical coordination as you get older, but I think a lot of playing football is a combination of experience, confidence and luck. You can't do much about luck. I think confidence comes from successful experience. I think Sarri brought on Barkley on Saturday even though RLC is the more "in form" player, because Barkley has more experience. However, I'd agree that's not because he is a year older but because he has played 160-odd games as opposed to twenty-odd for Ruben.

I'm a fan of Kepa and genuinely feel we've upgraded from our previous GK. The money was a lot, but spread over his 7 year contract, it actually isn't that bad.

It took him a while to fully settle, but he's growing in confidence and is starting to command a lot more from his position, shouting at the players in front of him etc, which is always good to see. We have to remember he signed so close to the season starting, he had no time to come over and meet his team mates, buy a house and get settled in to life and so it's understandable his first few weeks were a little shaky.

Personally I think we've got one of the top goalkeepers in the world on our books for a long time to come. Think of all the uncertainty we've had over the GK position, almost since Cech left and now we have a top goalkeeper, who seemingly isn't interested in hearing his own voice all the time and just wants to get on with his job and does it well.

• Like 1

Leo91   

I did a master league with Athletic Bilbao last year on PES and Kepa was awesome, his progression graph is excellent. Never fails.