• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

4 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I read the article and I also thought that was an interesting comment, but it was perhaps the only one in the whole piece. Wilson - like most Guardian writers - dislikes Lampard and Chelsea. For a writer so obsessed with data, he made no mention of Kepa's and Chelsea's goals conceded being much worse than xG would suggest. And he also ignores that under Lampard Chelsea allow far fewer shots on goal than most teams. The problem is Kepa saves fewer shots on goal than any keeper in Prem history. - which is the manager's fault, apparently.

Yes.  Bob was right to quote the one comment and just leave a link to the source.

Yet the second part does make sense (I presume you were being sarcastic).
In several ways.  Opponents choose not to have low chance shots at us because they know they can get behind us.
We concede a lot from set pieces crosses (where shots and headers tend to go in from short range or miss the goal completely).
There are games where we press very high leaving us quite vulnerable at the back - as the man says close range headers and one-on-ones.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  Bob was right to quote the one comment and just leave a link to the source.

Yet the second part does make sense (I presume you were being sarcastic).
In several ways.  Opponents choose not to have low chance shots at us because they know they can get behind us.
We concede a lot from set pieces crosses (where shots and headers tend to go in from short range or miss the goal completely).
There are games where we press very high leaving us quite vulnerable at the back - as the man says close range headers and one-on-ones.

Not sure that's true. I think the low number of shots is an indication that we tend to dominate possession - which is reflected in the fact that we concede a disproportionate number of goals to counter-attacks. One of the reasons for that is that a corner for us is an attacking opportunity for the opposition (Arsenal's first goal at the Bridge, when Kante slipped), both because our delivery has been so bad and because we tend to overcommit our defenders. And also because Kepa is so useless in one-on-ones (probably worse than he is at stopping shots from outside the box).

Lampard is of course responsible for a number of those factors. All of them when you include his selection of Kepa.

Edited by Backbiter

Just now, Sir said:

Does anyone think he can improve? I mean he’s only 25 or...

Hopefully, and the club will be able to recover some of his fee next summer

Ham   
1 hour ago, Sir said:

Does anyone think he can improve? I mean he’s only 25 or...

If Cech can't fix his flaws, nobody can. 

The ideal scenario for all involved is for him to improve, not leave. 

1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Hopefully, and the club will be able to recover some of his fee next summer

I wonder if Bilbao insisted on a buy-back clause.

Ham   
2 hours ago, Backbiter said:

I wonder if Bilbao insisted on a buy-back clause.

*Bilbao leaving phone off hook as we speak...

chara   
8 minutes ago, Ham said:

*Bilbao leaving phone off hook as we speak...

Sorry Ham...not off the hook...I was on to them begging for a comeback.

"Sometimes it’s a relief to be taken out the line of fire": How a struggling goalkeeper finds form

Former goalkeepers Mark Schwarzer and David Preece explain why the under-fire Kepa Arrizabalaga would benefit from time out of the spotlight.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/goalkeeper-form-kepa-arrizabalaga-mark-schwarzer-david-preece-b594503.html

chara   
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

"Sometimes it’s a relief to be taken out the line of fire": How a struggling goalkeeper finds form

Former goalkeepers Mark Schwarzer and David Preece explain why the under-fire Kepa Arrizabalaga would benefit from time out of the spotlight.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/goalkeeper-form-kepa-arrizabalaga-mark-schwarzer-david-preece-b594503.html

What an excellent piece...echoes of a lot of points I hope I made over a long time..not rocket science but from people who know the "job"

Small question....the point about the benefit from time out of the spotlight?..is that all you got from the article?