• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

What is clear to me is that we have a terrific keeper. Maybe we paid a tad too much for him, but hey, it's not my money, and if the club were happy, then I'm happy. Arguing about who did what a couple of years ago, seems totally pointless to my way of thinking. 

36 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

What is clear to me is that we have a terrific keeper. Maybe we paid a tad too much for him, but hey, it's not my money, and if the club were happy, then I'm happy. Arguing about who did what a couple of years ago, seems totally pointless to my way of thinking. 

I get that but my concern is how the club have run transfers for a number of years and the Kepa/TC situation is a very good example of it. In my opinion, numerous managers have taken unfair flak for decisions that were most likely taken at board level and by extension they (the board) have got away with some awful decision making. Further, it concerns me that such mistakes will continue once we can buy again as the the board appear very insular and immune from poor decisions (this I admit is speculation on my part as I am not privy to board meetings nor Roman's personal opinions.) Hopefully, lessons have been learnt and/or Cech has a bigger remit and sphere of influence than what seems apprant, and, if so, he is good at managing such responsibilities.

Moving onto Kepa's ability, for me (and by extension, I think it is fair to say, some others), he is overall a good keeper but not a terrific one. Potentially, he could become great but that will require a lot of improvement on his current weaknesses which thus far have seen minimal to no improvement since he arrived. This causes further concern at how we invested so much since the figures we are talking about for Kepa, mean we should have been getting a bona fide world class player ready to go, not a keeper lots of potential but with obvious weaknesses that are very problematic in the PL.

Edited by King Kante

51 minutes ago, King Kante said:

In your book maybe. However, that would require a belief that there was a viable chance TC would sign a new contract. That I think was a very unlikely scenario and was pretty clear at least 18 months before he left. Therefore, the club should have been looking for alternatives at that point and not Summer 2018. 

What is clear is that we were not interested in Kepa in January 2018 because if we were, both us and Kepa were incrediably generous towards Athletic. 

Not at all.  Indeed given that RM were supposedly interested in both Kepa and Courtois in January 2018, how could the club have possibly known what Courtois's (or RM's) intentions were before then?

What you seem to be determined to do is to assert private knowledge of stuff we couldn't know, and assert incompetence by the board.  It just doesn't hold together except as a rant by someone who knows what he wants to prove without a clue how to get there.

9 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I get that but my concern is how the club have run transfers for a number of years and the Kepa/TC situation is a very good example of it. In my opinion, numerous managers have taken unfair flak for decisions that were most likely taken at board level and by extension they (the board) have got away with some awful decision making.

Really.  Other than Conte's time here, it seems that the club's record on transfers has been incredibly good.  Indeed I'd say quite a few managers' reputations have benefitted from the board.  The club has always kept to a few strict rules since 03/04 when it was a bit "child in a sweet shop."  Buy cheap at 0 appearances or pay the full price at 50+ appearances.  Move players on early, not late.  Look for players who will be here 5-10 years.  Older players only if they are or recently were top top players.  Maintain a lean squad (too lean some say) in order to have room for additions.  Unwanted players are loaned out if they can't be sold.

We can discuss who was at fault for the period 2016-jan 2018.  But outside those 4 windows there really is nothing to criticise.  We have a brilliant board.

3 hours ago, King Kante said:

I get that but my concern is how the club have run transfers for a number of years and the Kepa/TC situation is a very good example of it

Of what, though? Courtois wanted out, and we bought Kepa. You can argue that we paid too much for Kepa (an opinion only), but we had little (if any) choice with Courtois, surely?

In my opinion, numerous managers have taken unfair flak for decisions that were most likely taken at board level and by extension they (the board) have got away with some awful decision making.

I would argue that the 'Board/Roman' have been making the transfer decisions since Roman bought the club. Little has changed. And seriously, since it's Roman's money, why should it change? Managers come and go (on a pretty regular basis), but Roman stays. I think that he's run the club pretty damn  well, and that includes transfers. I don't think that he's been perfect, or infallible, but then that really isn't the point, is it?

This causes further concern at how we invested so much since the figures we are talking about for Kepa, mean we should have been getting a bona fide world class player ready to go, not a keeper lots of potential but with obvious weaknesses that are very problematic in the PL.

If you've forgotten, go take a look at the numerous video compilations on YouTube of Kepa's saves, this season, and last. And then tell me again about those 'obvious' weaknesses. Just because he isn't Cech, or doesn't dominate his area when crosses come in, doesn't stop him being world class. 

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I'd agree with the points above.

We can moan that he doesn't come off his line for crosses - what goalkeeper does these days? Not many, and I'd venture almost none from continental Europe or Sth America.

Who would I swap him for, is another good way of judging how good he is (in comparison to his peers, not for keepers from all our yesterdays). Oblak from Athleti - maybe. He's ousted De Gea from automatic No.1 place for Spain. Any of the German keepers - Not sure now that Neuer isn't what he once was. Allison from Liverpool - maybe, but he was near the same money we spent of Kepa and probably wouldn't move now anyways. Courtois - definitely not.

His reading of the game is improving and his decision making is becoming better - I think we have as good a goalkeeper as we can get right now. 

56 minutes ago, East Lower said:

His reading of the game is improving and his decision making is becoming better - I think we have as good a goalkeeper as we can get right now. 

Yes and I think we have a 10 year keeper, a Cech or a Bonetti, or a Niedzwicki (who sadly stopped playing at 28 through injuries with us after 5 years).

That is really important for a club.

chara   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

lyYes and I think we have a 10 year keeper, a Cech or a Bonetti, or a Niedzwicki (who sadly stopped playing at 28 through injuries with us after 5 years).

That is really important for a club.

Ah Droy..you had to mention Bonetti and draw me back into the crucible!

East Lower makes a point I have been struggling to make of late....who else would you want..be able to get... and are you all watching what other keepers are doing week in week out?

The three mentioned by Droy would walk into practically any side at their peak and at their TIME.

The game has changed and does change although now faster than it once did...hard to credit that The Doc's marauding overlapping FB's were considered almost revolutionary!

Even PC is just a little behind the curve now and he in his prime was as good as you can get as were Bonetti and Eddie..along with others including Banksie who would struggle in the way Kepa is supposed to struggle..by which I mean The Role Of The Keeper Is Evolving. Foster nearly tied the game for Watford...in the past only mad Borota would have done something like that (ah Chelsea..only our bunch would vote him Player of The Year..more humour from us than all those professional scousers!)

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL KEEPER!....our's is playing behind a new defensive set up in probably the toughest league there is..week in week out..not against maybe three/four top teams a season.

And I still don't like TC!

6 minutes ago, chara said:

Ah Droy..you had to mention Bonetti and draw me back into the crucible!.

We had Alex Stepney too at one point, didn't play as much as the Cat.

chara   
2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

We had Alex Stepney too at one point, didn't play as much as the Cat.

Remember that well as a confirmed Bonetti worshiper..I was young!..I was mortified when Stepney arrived and relieved to see him leave....at a time the league was riddled with very good and great keepers which brings me back to the evolving role of The Keeper.

Oh and Stepney was very very good..

chara   

Hmm..just had a silly thought..(again? you say)...what if Chelsea had bought a new top keeper..name who you will..pre season during PC's prime.....would love to have read the posts here!!!