• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

23 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm..just had a silly thought..(again? you say)...what if Chelsea had bought a new top keeper..name who you will..pre season during PC's prime.....would love to have read the posts here!!!

Well you could read the posts from when Courtois came back from loan at AM.  Top keeper established.  Cech still 32, prime for a keeper.  Very mixed feelings as I recall.  As happens on here, I think it was everyone under 30 on one side, everyone over 40 on the other.  Can't imagine why.

chara   
Just now, Droy was my hero said:

Well you could read the posts from when Courtois came back from loan at AM.  Top keeper established.  Cech still 32, prime for a keeper.  Very mixed feelings as I recall.  As happens on here, I think it was everyone under 30 on one side, everyone over 40 on the other.  Can't imagine why.

Yeah thought about that but it wasn't out of the blue (.no pun..well maybe!) for me it was a great football decision..as ever better a year early than a year late BUT I expected TC to mature as a keeper and he really stagnated for whatever reason and I hated the treatment of PC as a Chelsea fan...glad TC left..as I have written before,,his attitude offended me..FWIW.

Back to original whimsy...a top keeper out of the blue???

20 minutes ago, chara said:

Back to original whimsy...a top keeper out of the blue???

I think the plan is, when possible, to have long term players here.  Like JT or Lampard or Essien or Drogba or Cech or Rudiger and Jorginho now (Kante one hopes if there is no offer too big to refuse).  I think Kepa is thought of by the club as one of those players too.

I wonder if SFL will be the first such manager?

chara   
1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think the plan is, when possible, to have long term players here.  Like JT or Lampard or Essien or Drogba or Cech or Rudiger and Jorginho now (Kante one hopes if there is no offer too big to refuse).  I think Kepa is thought of by the club as one of those players too.

I wonder if SFL will be the first such manager?

We can hope...BUT on merit not sentiment...I loved Shellitto as a player but as a manager he sucked.

Hollins too but to a lesser extent...other side?..hmm McCready...and some not quite great Vialli etc

On 03/11/2019 at 10:04 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Not at all.  Indeed given that RM were supposedly interested in both Kepa and Courtois in January 2018, how could the club have possibly known what Courtois's (or RM's) intentions were before then?

What you seem to be determined to do is to assert private knowledge of stuff we couldn't know, and assert incompetence by the board.  It just doesn't hold together except as a rant by someone who knows what he wants to prove without a clue how to get there.

Really.  Other than Conte's time here, it seems that the club's record on transfers has been incredibly good.  Indeed I'd say quite a few managers' reputations have benefitted from the board.  The club has always kept to a few strict rules since 03/04 when it was a bit "child in a sweet shop."  Buy cheap at 0 appearances or pay the full price at 50+ appearances.  Move players on early, not late.  Look for players who will be here 5-10 years.  Older players only if they are or recently were top top players.  Maintain a lean squad (too lean some say) in order to have room for additions.  Unwanted players are loaned out if they can't be sold.

We can discuss who was at fault for the period 2016-jan 2018.  But outside those 4 windows there really is nothing to criticise.  We have a brilliant board.

Courtios made it clear that he wasn't signing a new contract with everything he said and done. My main arguement is that the club should have been planning on buying a keeper for 18 months prior to the Summer of 2018, even if he did end up re-signing. That would have been prudent. What is quite apprant is that they did not do this and as a result had to over spend massively, when they really should not have had too as it was very clear from early into his time here TC did not see his long term future here. 

Not a clue to get there? The main crux of my arguement as always been: 

1) TC always looked like he was never going to sign a new contract. 

2) Chelsea did not prepare for this and ended up having to pay over the top when they could not force him to stay for the last year of his contract because they did not do their due dilligence and sound out keepers properly before we got to Summer 2018. 

3) Kepa could not have been a target for us prior to Summer 2018 as he was available in January in a much weaker position and the only beneficiaries of it being left to Summer 2018 was Athletic.  

Not really seeing how those three points can be countered with what played out. As I said before, the only way us signing Kepa for the figures we did only makes sense if TC hoodwinked the board. If that is the case then they were very naive. 

Not really, 2008-2011 was also a bit of a sh*tshow that seriously depleted our once deep squad. We still won stuff but we also did not win as much as we could have with better transfer policy and manager recruitment. I still to this day do not understand how we let Utd win three league titles between 2007-09 with the position we found ourselves in 2006.

The next golden age directly coincided with De Vissers arrival on the scene and probably could be seen as the first golden age as like you say the first was kiddy in a sweet shop and not really due to strategic foresight. 

I remember such things being said about Emanelo. How long did he last at Monaco with his brilliant skills? Also, lets face it this seasons integration of the youth players has also been more of the board getting lucky than ir being some sort of masterplan as it is quite obvious they thought they we would not get banned this Summer.

On 04/11/2019 at 0:58 AM, Michael Tucker said:

Of what, though? Courtois wanted out, and we bought Kepa. You can argue that we paid too much for Kepa (an opinion only), but we had little (if any) choice with Courtois, surely?

I would argue that the 'Board/Roman' have been making the transfer decisions since Roman bought the club. Little has changed. And seriously, since it's Roman's money, why should it change? Managers come and go (on a pretty regular basis), but Roman stays. I think that he's run the club pretty damn  well, and that includes transfers. I don't think that he's been perfect, or infallible, but then that really isn't the point, is it?

If you've forgotten, go take a look at the numerous video compilations on YouTube of Kepa's saves, this season, and last. And then tell me again about those 'obvious' weaknesses. Just because he isn't Cech, or doesn't dominate his area when crosses come in, doesn't stop him being world class. 

TC wanted out a lot longer before Summer 2018. That was obvious for a very long time prior to that. Ergo, if the board were planning with long term vision they would have been sounding out keepers before then. Kepa from everything we know, was clearlt not in the picture as late as Jan 2018. 

Just because Roman has the money does not mean I, nor other fans, should not care. Football clubs at their core are about a lot more than the owner. I have been going to Chelsea matches since I was two years old and will be going until I am six feet under. For that reason, I feel that fans can be critical of the board on forums. I do not disgaree that the club is by and large well run. My only issues regard their approach to recruitment of both playing and management staff as I think they are not proactive but reactive.

Youtube clips are awful ways of determining if a player is good or not, whilst I have always stated that Kepa has excellent/very good stop stopping skills and agility. That is not in question whatsoever. However, he does have clear weaknesses at dealing with crosses and balls into his 6 yard area. That is also without question. For that reason I cannot describe him as a world class player as, for me at least, world class players weaknesses are not so evident to their position, which is what makes them world class. For world class see players like Kante, KdB etc.

1 minute ago, King Kante said:

The main crux of my arguement as always been: 

1) TC always looked like he was never going to sign a new contract. 

2) Chelsea did not prepare for this and ended up having to pay over the top when they could not force him to stay for the last year of his contract because they did not do their due dilligence and sound out keepers properly before we got to Summer 2018. 

3) Kepa could not have been a target for us prior to Summer 2018 as he was available in January in a much weaker position and the only beneficiaries of it being left to Summer 2018 was Athletic.  

1.  Guess work - which is fine in itself, but not as proof that the board is incompetent.

2.  ditto.  Where are you trying to go with this?

3.Summer 2018 he had barely played in La Liga.  Something like a third of his games were after January (when he was out for 6 weeks and also potentially about to move to RM).
So we didn't plan 18 months earlier on buying a player who'd only started a handful of La Liga games.  So what?

22 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Not really, 2008-2011 was also a bit of a sh*tshow that seriously depleted our once deep squad. We still won stuff but we also did not win as much as we could have with better transfer policy and manager recruitment. I still to this day do not understand how we let Utd win three league titles between 2007-09 with the position we found ourselves in 2006.

2008 -10 we were one of the top half dozen teams in Europe but no longer with a top 6 budget.  Very unlucky not to win more.  The team aged so we rebuilt over the next 3 years.
It was brilliant by the board.  To say otherwise is not a credible position.

22 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

1.  Guess work - which is fine in itself, but not as proof that the board is incompetent.

2.  ditto.  Where are you trying to go with this?

3.Summer 2018 he had barely played in La Liga.  Something like a third of his games were after January (when he was out for 6 weeks and also potentially about to move to RM).
So we didn't plan 18 months earlier on buying a player who'd only started a handful of La Liga games.  So what?

1) Of course. Everything is guess work as none of us actually work on the board. However, it was pretty clear TC was off, this was pretty much accepted on here prior to his leaving. Further, guess work is applied to everything on these boards. For instance, when people talk about VAR and Referring decision making, that is also guess work as none of us work as a PL ref or know a PL ref personally to confirm their thinking/reasons.  

2) That the board didn't plan properly for TC's departure, then paniced when they could not force him to stay so then had to pay way over the top for Kepa. That for me is p*** poor management. 

3) See above. 

22 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

2008 -10 we were one of the top half dozen teams in Europe but no longer with a top 6 budget.  Very unlucky not to win more.  The team aged so we rebuilt over the next 3 years.
It was brilliant by the board.  To say otherwise is not a credible position.

Or you could see it as us standing still. In 2006 we were the one of the best in Europe and the best in the PL by a long way. At that point, we just needed to let things tick over and buy one/two decent players per year. Instead we started buying the likes of Boularouz, Sidwell, Benayoun etc, whilst we whittled down the depth too much. Yes, we were still very good but we could've been great. As I said, how we went from 2006 to no title between 2007-09 was primarily due to the boards approach to managerial and player recruitment. 

Edited by King Kante

14 minutes ago, King Kante said:

However, it was pretty clear TC was off

It was pretty clear that Kepa was going to RM too. 

14 minutes ago, King Kante said:

2) That the board didn't plan properly for TC's departure, then paniced when they could not force him to stay so then had to pay way over the top for Kepa. That for me is p*** poor management. 

I know that is where you are trying to go - it is where you started.  For you the whole thing starts and finishes with board incompetence and everything else is both a result and proof of this.  

It is a good way to convince yourself, but not to convince anyone else.

15 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Or you could see it as us standing still

At the top of the mountain.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

It was pretty clear that Kepa was going to RM too

To team up with Conte ?