• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

To team up with Conte ?

Conte or whoever - there was a great deal of uncertainty about who RM's manager would be that Summer, as well as who'd be GK.  But I guess Conte Kante knew better about that too.

This lad is a massive issue for us. 

Weak in the air, lets in more goals than the opponents are expected to score and is a bit iffy with the ball at his feet. 

GK would be something I'd like to adress come summer. But since we dished out an incredible £72m for him I suppose we are stuck with him for a while. 

3 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

This lad is a massive issue for us. 

Weak in the air, lets in more goals than the opponents are expected to score and is a bit iffy with the ball at his feet. 

GK would be something I'd like to adress come summer. But since we dished out an incredible £72m for him I suppose we are stuck with him for a while. 

The goals conceded > XGA was a fair point, and I raised it in September.  I was told it was just a few unlucky events, so I said we should monitor it.
Late September the gap was 5.03 (we'd conceded 5 goals more than the chances against us were expected to achieve)
Season to date the gap is now 3.24.  So since then we have actually conceded fewer than "expected".  If we want to pin the gap on the keeper, then he has improved and turned better than average.

(To check you can play with the dates on here:  https://understat.com/league/EPL/2019)

Iffy with the Ball??  Certainly not.  Very strong with his feet.  A little overconfident once or twice, but I haven't seen that recently.  

The air issue is a problem, but I think it is part of the whole way we coach set pieces (and VAR which means that every team concedes more).
For all the praise this year's coaching gets, there are a lot of problems both with defending and with set pieces both ends.

chara   
5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The goals conceded > XGA was a fair point, and I raised it in September.  I was told it was just a few unlucky events, so I said we should monitor it.
Late September the gap was 5.03 (we'd conceded 5 goals more than the chances against us were expected to achieve)
Season to date the gap is now 3.24.  So since then we have actually conceded fewer than "expected".  If we want to pin the gap on the keeper, then he has improved and turned better than average.

(To check you can play with the dates on here:  https://understat.com/league/EPL/2019)

Iffy with the Ball??  Certainly not.  Very strong with his feet.  A little overconfident once or twice, but I haven't seen that recently.  

The air issue is a problem, but I think it is part of the whole way we coach set pieces (and VAR which means that every team concedes more).
For all the praise this year's coaching gets, there are a lot of problems both with defending and with set pieces both ends.

Whilst I don't really like statistics arguments the latter part of Droy's post is somewhat more balanced than the "Kepa the FAULT" arguments....

Good on the ball but like all keepers any misjudged clearance shows up more than a wayward pass out field......I too get the impression that there is a lack or a fault in the coaching set up for set pieces...it's almost as if the defence set up leaves that inviting space that isn't quite but could be the keepers or could be a defenders space to drop into..drives me crazy and shows week in week out.

Kepa does not have a solid defence in front of him as did PC..doesn't excuse the points aimed at him but it is not just Kepa at fault.

That is my main feeling of discomfort when I read some of the very disparaging comments and as yet I have read no response to my questions.

Who else was out there that Chelsea should/could have gone for?..and any young keepers in the system?

chara   
Just now, paulw66 said:

Of all the criticism of Kepa, he is bloody brilliant with his feet.... Don't get that at all 

Spot on ...... no one criticises an oppo keeper when we score but I seem to remember someone claiming the fk in the manure game being something Kepa SHOULD have stopped..and other impossible shots...he's not without blame for sure but at times it gets silly.

I save every goal from my couch.......

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Of all the criticism of Kepa, he is bloody brilliant with his feet.... Don't get that at all 

He is overly aggressive with some of his passes and have put us in a tricky situation on multiple occasions this season so far. 

His judgement when playing out the ball is highly questionable imo. 

That was my point. 

chara   
10 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

He is overly aggressive with some of his passes and have put us in a tricky situation on multiple occasions this season so far. 

His judgement when playing out the ball is highly questionable imo. 

That was my point. 

Respect your opinion. One of the things that always encourages me is when oppo keepers put a played out ball into touch or mess it up so something to take into account.

9 minutes ago, chara said:

Respect your opinion. One of the things that always encourages me is when oppo keepers put a played out ball into touch or mess it up so something to take into account.

I’m focusing on his weaknesses. Well the weaknesses that I see. Of course he has strengths as well, otherwise we wouldn’t have paid £72m to begin with. 

But for me the weaknesses are so severe that it’s becoming a problem. I don’t see him rectifying them any time soon either... 

On 06/11/2019 at 5:51 PM, Droy was my hero said:

It was pretty clear that Kepa was going to RM too. 

I know that is where you are trying to go - it is where you started.  For you the whole thing starts and finishes with board incompetence and everything else is both a result and proof of this.  

It is a good way to convince yourself, but not to convince anyone else.

At the top of the mountain.

1) Maybe. However, it was also clear TC wasn't signing. My arguement has been the club should've beem planning 18 months prior and had multiple options. I just simply fail to see how we ended up paying £72m and £170k+ a week to Kepa and that can be seen as anything other than a lack of planning. I mean, even if we were doing this in Jan, once Kepa's RM deal fell through way did we not sound him out. As you're always quick to point out, 'free' players are never free. Why did we not divvy the £72m up between us instead of lining Athletics pockets?

Further, by the time we got to Summer 2018 he was not rated as a world class keeper and was also very inexperienced to boot. He was brought as we left it late and had no contingency planning. If you want to continue with saying the board are great that is fine. You used to say the same about Emanelo and as soon as he came out of the insular bubble that is the CFC board he quickly became unemployed. 

2) Hardly. 2007-09 resulted in 2 FA Cups and 1 League Cup. Hardly top of the mountain considering our position from 2004-2006. 

Edited by King Kante