• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Mateo Kovacic On Season Long Loan

36 minutes ago, jangz said:

I see the concern on him coming on a 12 month loan.. but if he plays well I think he will try to force his way out of Madrid to join us.. but then what do I know..

Ooo err not sure I want a snake worming his way from to Real to Chels like that while his contract runs down 

Ham   
1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Ooo err not sure I want a snake worming his way from to Real to Chels like that while his contract runs down 

No give him some slack. He might have a kid and an ex in Hammersmith or Pimlico by then. 

Sir   
2 hours ago, jangz said:

I see the concern on him coming on a 12 month loan.. but if he plays well I think he will try to force his way out of Madrid to join us.. but then what do I know..

I don’t see much of an issue. He’ll come here on loan, give absolutely everything he can (you would assume!) and then we’ll see what happens. Simple as that. 

By all accounts he’s a quality footballer. I imagine, quite a technical footballer? Doesn’t score many goals, but he must do something right!

28 minutes ago, Sir said:

I don’t see much of an issue. He’ll come here on loan, give absolutely everything he can (you would assume!) and then we’ll see what happens. Simple as that. 

By all accounts he’s a quality footballer. I imagine, quite a technical footballer? Doesn’t score many goals, but he must do something right!

And with a point to prove

Sea foot   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

And with a point to prove

Not a bad reason to be fair is it. Means he'll try to do well.

Rob B   

I must say, whilst it’s only an 8 minute YouTube clip, this video is very encouraging

In my head I was remembering Kovacic as more of a polished Drinkwater type of player, but actually he looks like more of a polished Barkley - breaking the lines and running with the ball a lot.

Whilst like everyone else, I am disappointed we didn’t address the goals situation, we have a much stronger midfield this year and will play a higher line - therefore it’s completely feasible that we will create more chances even if we’re not quite as ruthless with them as we should be.

And like others have already said, in reality the new additions are Kovacic, Jorginho, RLC, Barkley, CHO, Tammy and arguably even Luiz/Emerson who barely played last year. 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Rob B said:

I must say, whilst it’s only an 8 minute YouTube clip, this video is very encouraging

In my head I was remembering Kovacic as more of a polished Drinkwater type of player, but actually he looks like more of a polished Barkley - breaking the lines and running with the ball a lot.

Whilst like everyone else, I am disappointed we didn’t address the goals situation, we have a much stronger midfield this year and will play a higher line - therefore it’s completely feasible that we will create more chances even if we’re not quite as ruthless with them as we should be.

And like others have already said, in reality the new additions are Kovacic, Jorginho, RLC, Barkley, CHO, Tammy and arguably even Luiz/Emerson who barely played last year. 

Looks like a good allrounder. Looks physically strong, and technically miles better than Baka / DD.

Our midfield of Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic looks very strong, with plenty of options in Fabregas, RLC and Barkley. 

Zoowraa   

If we can unlock this lads potential then we have a real player on our hands,albeit for possibly only one year though! I seen a bit of him in his Inter days where he ended up playing a few different roles in the team, but his technical ability is second to none in the PL. I have heard some say his versatility has worked against him throughout his career, but I think this is in part to how central midfielders are categorised these days with holding, deep lying playmaker,attacking etc. He can effectively do all of this to a very high level and is just a very good all around midfielder.

I have always admired Croatian footballers, from my memory he has to be our first since Mario Stanic? That one didn't quite work out after a great start, but this lad on a different level to him.

paulw66   
Just now, Zoowraa said:

If we can unlock this lads potential then we have a real player on our hands,albeit for possibly only one year though! I seen a bit of him in his Inter days where he ended up playing a few different roles in the team, but his technical ability is second to none in the PL. I have heard some say his versatility has worked against him throughout his career, but I think this is in part to how central midfielders are categorised these days with holding, deep lying playmaker,attacking etc. He can effectively do all of this to a very high level and is just a very good all around midfielder.

I have always admired Croatian footballers, from my memory he has to be our first since Mario Stanic? That one didn't quite work out after a great start, but this lad on a different level to him.

Think Stanic was unlucky with injuries, but yes, think he is the first since him. We've had a few Serbs....Kezman, Brana, Matic, Jokanovic (I believe). Pasalic (scored yesterday) has never kicked a ball for us.

I think Kovacic could be a real surprise in the PL this season.

Zoowraa   
1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Think Stanic was unlucky with injuries, but yes, think he is the first since him. We've had a few Serbs....Kezman, Brana, Matic, Jokanovic (I believe). Pasalic (scored yesterday) has never kicked a ball for us.

I think Kovacic could be a real surprise in the PL this season.

Yes poor old Mario did his knee at least once if I remember. I was really excited at his signing, but he was never the same player after missing majority of his first season with us. Still he left us with that great goal memory at the bridge (can't remember the opposition)