• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Arsenal 2

Bison   

A Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic midfield is going to be really good by the looks of things.

9 hours ago, kev61 said:

Only got to watch the second half and a very entertaining half it was.Great to see fast and unpredictable attacking play... except for Morata - he scored but the rest of his play is just not up to standard,Giroud looked much better when he came on but he needs to score more obviously.

When Kovacic(was he a boxer in a last life?) and Hazard came on we moved up a gear and Arsenal just couldn't handle it.Central defense is a worry I  would have Christensen or even Cahill in there instead of luiz, never a big fan of his in a centre back role.

Lots to look forward to, I'd rather win 3-2 and be entertained than grind out a 1-0 win and bored shitless...not mentioning any names.

Me too. I'm a fan of Luiz but primarily in a back 3.  However Luiz is stronger in the air than Cahill and Christenson.... and Keppa looks a small keeper. Zouma would have been a shout for me but he's gone. 

Kante is a DM not an AM or a CF which is where he was playing much of the time. That back four needs serious cover especially if the full backs are pushing forward so much. 

This game was yet another that demonstrated, for both sides, that attacking the flanks and getting in behind the defence is a damn site more effective than tippytappy through the middle. It  so bloody obvious . The direct ball over the top  to Morata also worked well. Those Arsenal misses , particularly from Overthebarmay  were shocking. Another day we could have unbelievably lost this game.

Vinod   

It makes a bit sad that Kovacic is on loan. I really hope we have an option to buy.

Thought we started out strong, got two goals and then sat back. The defence is truly shocking. 5 or 6 players in the box and not one near any Arsenal players.. They had 3 open goal chances from 6 yards and luckily for us skied all three. I was worried the subs would come on after Arsenal scored their 3rd but thank gawd  for us the above happened instead.

City will tear us apart if this isn't addressed pdq.

monday morning I will get my oppo's lifelong gooners view :-)

15 minutes ago, Vinod said:

It makes a bit sad that Kovacic is on loan. I really hope we have an option to buy.

I think this will largely come down to what he wants to do and Hazard. My feeling is that ultimately there will be some sort of Hazard/Kovacic swap next summer. Hence, the no agreed fee.  

As for the defence, we do need to shore that up and I think this really needs to be initially sorted by the CM's. For me, Kante should be doing less attacking and more defending, I say this as he whilst he is an all round fantastic player, his strongest attribute is breaking up attacks. Hopefully, when Kovacic comes into the side full time Kante will sit a little deeper to help out Jorginho and the back four (Kovacic will also help as he is better at recovering the ball than Barkley).

As for the CB's themselves, Cahill is nul and void in such a passing/high line team and Christensen is not as aggressive or good in the air as Luiz (which is an issue with Kepa atm). The only other option is Ampadu, who has the same issues as Christensen but with a lot less experience. For me, the back 4 stays the same but could/will see changes in Jan with it likely that Cahill is replaced. 

9 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

Thought we started out strong, got two goals and then sat back. The defence is truly shocking. 5 or 6 players in the box and not one near any Arsenal players.. They had 3 open goal chances from 6 yards and luckily for us skied all three.

1 minute ago, Conte Kante said:

As for the defence, we do need to shore that up and I think this really needs to be initially sorted by the CM's.

On the defence, I do think it is the midfield and players higher up the pitch that were the biggest defensive 'problem' yesterday; I think it is hard for defending players in the box to pick the right place to be when a cut back comes in and that it's a bit redundant to criticise anyone for whatever they do then. What needs to happen is for a team to defend in such a way that the cut backs aren't made as often and as freely. FBs need someone to double up with them to do that. It's hard in a high press 433 to realistically expect the wider front players to always be there for this, particularly in a blood-and-thunder game. So it can only really be a CM. Kante has such ludicrous pace, mobility and stamina that he is the obvious fit over Jorginho and I'd guess (although haven't seen him much) Kovacic, as well as Barkely and RLC. 

I think, in likelihood, we will have to expect a greater vulnerability in wide areas of the pitch as a fundamental part of our game unless either a) Sarri changes the game plan entirely or b) Kante gets different instructions about which half of the pitch to focus on. Kovacic looked in his cameo perfectly capable of bursting forward; perhaps when he is fit and fully able he will assume the role Kante has had in the first two games, but also perhaps not and we should get used to high-scoring, sometimes entertaining sometimes terrifying, games.

Next four games are against sides you would, on paper, expect us to beat and would think we would blow away with yesterday's football. Then it is Liverpool at home; that game is gonna be mental.

I think you saw the best of Sarriball in the first half hour and the last half hour. It's clear they are still working on defending without the ball, as a unit - the mad 20 minutes we had were largely without the ball. Sarri said himself we need to work on our defensive organisation as a team, especially without the ball. It's still early days in this system, we're still adapting. 

Kovacic had an amazing debut. Looked world class and linked up with Hazard so well down the left - looked excellent going forward and creatively, but also very strong and solid defensively. We looked more solid defensively down the left when he came on. 

Morata had a good game, worked hard and scored a good goal. Pedro looks like the Barca version now, Morata's movement is opening up space for him.Jorginho continued to impress. It looks so promising, I enjoyed the football we played.

Alonso....awful defensively. I worry about him defensively. But going forward he is excellent - an assist and a goal. I hope Sarri can improve is defensive side, positioning and tackling, whilst keeping his attacking strengths. 

Overall, huge promise, improvement still needed, but looks like we're progressing and developing as a team, with this football. I'm very optimistic.

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

On the defence, I do think it is the midfield and players higher up the pitch that were the biggest defensive 'problem' yesterday; I think it is hard for defending players in the box to pick the right place to be when a cut back comes in and that it's a bit redundant to criticise anyone for whatever they do then. What needs to happen is for a team to defend in such a way that the cut backs aren't made as often and as freely. FBs need someone to double up with them to do that. It's hard in a high press 433 to realistically expect the wider front players to always be there for this, particularly in a blood-and-thunder game. So it can only really be a CM. Kante has such ludicrous pace, mobility and stamina that he is the obvious fit over Jorginho and I'd guess (although haven't seen him much) Kovacic, as well as Barkely and RLC. 

I think, in likelihood, we will have to expect a greater vulnerability in wide areas of the pitch as a fundamental part of our game unless either a) Sarri changes the game plan entirely or b) Kante gets different instructions about which half of the pitch to focus on. Kovacic looked in his cameo perfectly capable of bursting forward; perhaps when he is fit and fully able he will assume the role Kante has had in the first two games, but also perhaps not and we should get used to high-scoring, sometimes entertaining sometimes terrifying, games.

Next four games are against sides you would, on paper, expect us to beat and would think we would blow away with yesterday's football. Then it is Liverpool at home; that game is gonna be mental.

I agree with all of the above. Rudi and Luiz cannot really do much on the cut backs and where actually in position - I mean if Luiz attempts to intercept one of those cut backs and misses it/miscontrols it and leaves someone onside behind him there will be a number of people out with their pitchforks. 

The next four games will be interesting and I think a key barometer of what our season will be like. If we are serious about top four and challenging come the end of the season, they all need to be won. However, two of those games Newcastle and WHU away are 'bogey' fixtures for us, while if we defend like we did today against a team like Bournemouth we could find ourseleves two down in 15 minutes or something. As a result, I think the most important thing for Sarri to do is to continue to drill his style into the team on the training pitch and take one game at a time and see what issues arise. 

Vinod   
22 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

As for the defence, we do need to shore that up and I think this really needs to be initially sorted by the CM's. For me, Kante should be doing less attacking and more defending, I say this as he whilst he is an all round fantastic player, his strongest attribute is breaking up attacks. Hopefully, when Kovacic comes into the side full time Kante will sit a little deeper to help out Jorginho and the back four (Kovacic will also help as he is better at recovering the ball than Barkley).

As for the CB's themselves, Cahill is nul and void in such a passing/high line team and Christensen is not as aggressive or good in the air as Luiz (which is an issue with Kepa atm). The only other option is Ampadu, who has the same issues as Christensen but with a lot less experience. For me, the back 4 stays the same but could/will see changes in Jan with it likely that Cahill is replaced. 

I agree with most of this, except that Kante should play deeper. It is a contradiction that one acknowledges that Kantes best attributes include pressing and nicking the ball, and yet want him to play deeper. He is fine where he is right now.

Where we struggle is getting our defensive shape right in our final third. Oh, and Luiz and Rudiger seriously need to get their act together 

22 minutes ago, Vinod said:

I agree with most of this, except that Kante should play deeper. It is a contradiction that one acknowledges that Kantes best attributes include pressing and nicking the ball, and yet want him to play deeper. He is fine where he is right now.

Where we struggle is getting our defensive shape right in our final third. Oh, and Luiz and Rudiger seriously need to get their act together 

100% agree.

We've had very little pre-season thanks to the World Cup, and have a new manager, trying to implement a new style, with new players (not just Jorginho and Kovacic... we have to include Loftus-Cheek, Barkley etc., to that list). The pieces won't drop into place immediately. I could never understand why people saw Kanté purely as a defensive midfielder, and why they expected him to be the deeper of whoever we had in midfield. As we sort out our defence and how to set up (and what roles and obligations players have), when we don't have the ball, so people will come to understand and appreciate the value of having Kanté further up the pitch.