• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Arsenal 2

51 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

For me, Kante should be doing less attacking and more defending, I say this as he whilst he is an all round fantastic player, his strongest attribute is breaking up attacks. Hopefully, when Kovacic comes into the side full time Kante will sit a little deeper to help out Jorginho and the back four (Kovacic will also help as he is better at recovering the ball than Barkley).

This I think is key. Kante has basically started the season as our 'number 8' with Barkley the more withdrawn like Allan did at Napoli.

I think the second Kovacic is ready to start playing more Kante will revert to his more natural role with Kovacic playing the more attacking role like Hamsik did at Napoli. 

45 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

100% agree.

We've had very little pre-season thanks to the World Cup, and have a new manager, trying to implement a new style, with new players (not just Jorginho and Kovacic... we have to include Loftus-Cheek, Barkley etc., to that list). The pieces won't drop into place immediately. I could never understand why people saw Kanté purely as a defensive midfielder, and why they expected him to be the deeper of whoever we had in midfield. As we sort out our defence and how to set up (and what roles and obligations players have), when we don't have the ball, so people will come to understand and appreciate the value of having Kanté further up the pitch.

Winning the ball back further up the pitch is great but you need to know what to do with it when you do as there will be more pressure on you to use it. For me Kante lacks that bit of guile in the final third, yesterday he had the ball in the box and had to stop and think what to do with it. There was a gaping hole in front of the CB's appearing in the same spot numerous times yesterday it's not necessarily Kante but also Jorginho and the CB's roles and positioning that need tweaking, maybe going more 4231 than 433.

It is definitely a problem that is fixable if Sarri is flexible and makes some alterations, there was a lot of positives in the performance and I'm sure it will take some time to adapt to Sarri ball. Not expecting to win the league so best we can hope for at the start of the season is picking up as many points as possible while we settle.

Having watched replays I might have been a bit harsh on Kepa for the goals he actually did well to get close to them which made it look like he should have saved them. Still a bit of a shaky performance and looking nowhere near a 70mil keeper yet.

13 hours ago, kev61 said:

Only got to watch the second half and a very entertaining half it was.Great to see fast and unpredictable attacking play... except for Morata - he scored but the rest of his play is just not up to standard,Giroud looked much better when he came on but he needs to score more obviously.

When Kovacic(was he a boxer in a last life?) and Hazard came on we moved up a gear and Arsenal just couldn't handle it.Central defense is a worry I  would have Christensen or even Cahill in there instead of luiz, never a big fan of his in a centre back role.

Lots to look forward to, I'd rather win 3-2 and be entertained than grind out a 1-0 win and bored shitless...not mentioning any names.

Agree both times there Kev. I thought Hazard was clearly revelling in doing his stuff in our team, playing the way we did offensively yesterday.

4 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Pedro is working much harder than Willian, and scoring, whilst Hazard is several levels better. Given how young Callum played in pre-season, Willian she count himself lucky to be 3rd in the pecking order.

Yep, makes sense to me.

Just stick Kante behind Jorginho and kovacic.

would mean Barkley missing out, which is unlucky for him as he's been quite decent.Hazard has to start now, which means Willian will be back on the bench (unless we go with false 9), Pedro has to play at the moment.

sell Drinkwater (unlucky for him, but didn't get a chance), could we afford to cash in on Willian? (We have cho waiting in the wings)

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

As we sort out our defence and how to set up (and what roles and obligations players have), when we don't have the ball, so people will come to understand and appreciate the value of having Kanté further up the pitch.

I think people know and appreciate exactly what Kante can do; especially given he can do, it increasingly seems, absolutely everything.

For me it's more that every job needs doing, and each needs doing as best as possible. I don't think anyone else on our books comes even close to Kante in terms of getting from one end of the pitch to the other, stealing the ball and driving away, but there are a few who can do a pretty good job in a more advanced role. I would hope, but not expect, that the defence (both whole XI and the back four) gets better over the season; each of those players has the skills and vulnerabilities they have, and lots of of our more exposed moments yesterday were a function of a high-press, high-line attacking 433. You can't play that football without there being consequences elsewhere. Or, perhaps more accurately, you can only play that football without many serious consequences without a £50-70m player in literally every position. 

2 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Who are the holders of the FA Cup?

Whatever consolation prize trophy we hold I shouldn't have thought anyone on this forum would deny that we weren't very good last year.

11 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Willian is AGAIN gonna be the one to hit the bench soon.

Doh - and to think the club turned down 45 million for him. 

1 minute ago, PeteRobbo said:

Whatever consolation prize trophy we hold I shouldn't have thought anyone on this forum would deny that we weren't very good last year.

How good were we 3 seasons ago?