• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Arsenal 2

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Incidentally, this game did show how teams can still use FBs to create even in flat 4. 

Alonso is playing as high up in a 4 as he was in a 5 which obviously has its plus and minus points. 

Yes , has proved so far that he can do a job in a three or a four, which didn't really seem like the leap into the unknown that many seemed to think it would be. He is an effective attacking force with a natural left foot and we should utilize that  whenever possible. However if an attack breaks down and he's up field, he's not superman who can fly straight back into position. There needs to be a plan to cover for him which clearly their wasn't on Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
12 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Yes , has proved so far that he can do a job in a three or a four, which didn't really seem like the leap into the unknown that many seemed to think it would be. He is an effective attacking force with a natural left foot and we should utilize that  whenever possible. However if an attack breaks down and he's up field, he's not superman who can fly straight back into position. There needs to be a plan to cover for him which clearly their wasn't on Saturday. 

The chances that were created down his side also occured when he was in position as a full back, but he and Luiz got done with the channel ball. 

Needs addressing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The chances that were created down his side also occured when he was in position as a full back, but he and Luiz got done with the channel ball. 

Needs addressing. 

That's because our midfield left the Arsenal players on the ball in acres of space.

For roughly 15 mins end of first half we stopped pressing completely. That was the issue, not that Luiz, Rüdiger, Azpi or Alonso were poor defensively. It's impossible to defend as a fullback against 2, sometimes 3 opponents overloading your flank. 

Barkley and Willian did not work hard enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
4 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

That's because our midfield left the Arsenal players on the ball in acres of space.

For roughly 15 mins end of first half we stopped pressing completely. That was the issue, not that Luiz, Rüdiger, Azpi or Alonso were poor defensively. It's impossible to defend as a fullback against 2, sometimes 3 opponents overloading your flank. 

Barkley and Willian did not work hard enough. 

Quite possibly. Did you watch the game TV? When you watch it in the ground you only get one look at everything so not always easy to notice all the tactical bits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Barkley and Willian did not work hard enough. 

Or could not work hard enough, either as a result of fitness or just plain capability. The high-press is absolutely knackering. There is good reason for very few teams doing it well and/or for a full 90 minutes. I thought Barkley in particular seemed to press high but only high, standing off more when Arsenal were in our half. Perhaps that was me seeing things selectively, perhaps that was an instruction Barkley had, perhaps that was all he was physically capable of doing. If he doesn't have it already, Sarri will need to get to know the physical limits of our players very quickly and then make a decision; keep going rain or shine, or do a few things differently. Of course the nature of not being top-dog so far as talent goes is that even the 'differently' will have its pros and cons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueWill   
7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Quite possibly. Did you watch the game TV? When you watch it in the ground you only get one look at everything so not always easy to notice all the tactical bits

So you couldn't see it was the MF failing to cover back that was causing major problems? So what were you looking at when they scored twice and missed 3 sitters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Alonso is playing as high up in a 4 as he was in a 5 which obviously has its plus and minus points. 

I'm not sure how the myth that Alonso can't play as a traditional full back ever materialised. he's playing no different to how he was last season, which incidentally is no different to most full backs in the premier league.

It's an excuse made for Conte as he wasn't prepared to try anything other than 5 at the back. It's almost as good an excuse as our players not being good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Quite possibly. Did you watch the game TV? When you watch it in the ground you only get one look at everything so not always easy to notice all the tactical bits

Yeah watched the game on TV and also followed up and watched the MotD highlights. It was very, very clear what the issue was end of first half. We stopped pressing and running. As soon as that happens, the system collapses. 

 

9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

1. Or could not work hard enough, either as a result of fitness or just plain capability. The high-press is absolutely knackering. There is good reason for very few teams doing it well and/or for a full 90 minutes.

2. If he doesn't have it already, Sarri will need to get to know the physical limits of our players very quickly and then make a decision; keep going rain or shine, or do a few things differently. Of course the nature of not being top-dog so far as talent goes is that even the 'differently' will have its pros and cons.

1. No doubt they were knackered. I think it's clear why we have a large squad this season. There is zero chance of us playing this style for a full season with the traditional squad size we normally see this time of year. We could have used a young Ramires in this squad!

2. Sure, but it was very strange to see Willian being the one who didn't have the enery levels required. Usually he is one of the players you can bank will run all game and cover every blade of grass. Interestingly, I also thought that Kanté was struggling defensively but for him it wasn't necessarily a problem with energy, more with getting the balance right in that position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue on Saturday was the midfield. Kante was often the furthest forward and as good as he is he's not superhuman, not quite anyway. Barkley failed miserably to press in our half, not sure if he physically can't do if all over the pitch or just doesn't have the brain to know how and when to do it. A bit of both I'd imagine.

Willian struggled too but he's barely had a pre season so can understand that. 

Kovacic will make a huge difference, as he did on Saturday, his introduction changed the game. Not only did we keep the ball better when he came on we won it back much quicker too. Arsenal had zero threat after he and Hazard came on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
15 minutes ago, BlueWill said:

So you couldn't see it was the MF failing to cover back that was causing major problems? So what were you looking at when they scored twice and missed 3 sitters?

At the ground, you watch the ball most of the time, so all of the tactical elements can get missed. Yes, the lack of marking was obvious but when you only get one viewing, it is impossible to spot ALL of the mistakes  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.