• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Arsenal 2

paulw66   
12 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Yeah watched the game on TV and also followed up and watched the MotD highlights. It was very, very clear what the issue was end of first half. We stopped pressing and running. As soon as that happens, the system collapses. 

Cheers 

Leo91   

It took Pep and Klopp a full season to iron out the kinks of the high press. It's going to take us about the same. 

1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

It took Pep and Klopp a full season to iron out the kinks of the high press. It's going to take us about the same. 

Took Klopp more like two years. 

Vinod   

I saw the highlights. Paused every chance we conceded. I can say with conviction that Jorginho needs to do more defensively. 

Kezza   
3 minutes ago, Vinod said:

I saw the highlights. Paused every chance we conceded. I can say with conviction that Jorginho needs to do more defensively. 

I know Jorginho occupies Kantes natural position. But can't Kante drop back next to Jorginho when we don't have the ball in a 2 anchor midfield position. And when we attack let the third midfielder be it Barkley or Kovacic be the further in the box midfielder instead of Kante.

1 hour ago, Vinod said:

Jorginho isn't a defensive midfielder, he is a Regista, no way is he ever going to track a man and start putting himself about, that is Kante's and Kovacic's job. 

Faramir   

In those 15 minutes before half time Arsenal had 8 shots and scored twice. Including the chance just before our second goal they probably had about 6 golden opportunities to score in the first half. Fortunately we only conceded two.

What I most appreciated about Saturday's game was how Sarri addressed our defensive issues at half time and got the players attention. As a team they corrected their first half mistakes.

Arsenal only had 3 shots on goal in the second half and as a team we severely restricted their chances to score. One of the highlights of the game for me was Kepa's bravery in diving in to claim the ball from his rebound when he was odds on to take a kick (or two) in the head.

I was really impressed with much of our passing in the second half. Nearly all of it had purpose.

All three of our goals were from open play. Jorginho's pass to Alonso was awesome, as was Alonso's pass in to Pedro for the first goal. Likewise, Azpi's pass to Morata, who timed his run perfectly and showed some class in turning the defender and finding the net. I think Morata will do ok in this Sarri system. I loved the way Hazard 'ghosted' by the defender to create space for himself on that left side. And Alonso coming up with a crucial goal (again) after receiving Hazard's pass. Hazard has two assists in about 40 minutes of football in our first two games.

Stats from the Chelsea website:

We had a 62.3 per cent share of possession over the 90 minutes. Aside from our 2-0 win over Arsenal in September 2015, when they were reduced to nine men, that is the highest possession figure we have recorded against the Gunners since records began in 2006. 

No player had more touches of the ball on Saturday than Jorginho, who recorded 105.

Despite only being on the pitch for the final half-hour, debutant Mateo Kovacic, with 54, had the most touches in the second half. He also played the second highest number of accurate passes after the interval, successful with 42 of his 43 passes.

I am having a hard time containing my enthusiasm for the potential of our team under Sarri. Yes, I know there are huge concerns over the defensive side of our game, I was deeply concerned at the way we played those 15 to 20 minutes before half time. But that second half was wonderful. It gave me a glimpse into what is possible with this team. All that creativity that was stifled under Conte is now being let loose.

For these next two weeks Sarri has time to work with his players. I think our collapse against Arsenal before half time will end up being a good thing because Sarri can use that footage for the team to learn and correct what went wrong.

It is not unrealistic to predict that away to Newcastle and home to Bournemouth should see us hit the International break with 4 wins and 12 pts and a goal difference in double digits. (Hey! I told you I'm having a hard time containing my enthusiasm).

C'mon you Blues!

Ham   
5 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

Took Klopp more like two years. 

.........and counting because they still haven't won a thing. 

45 minutes ago, Ham said:

.........and counting because they still haven't won a thing. 

It's their year, this year 🤣 🤣 🤣

kev61   
9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

At the ground, you watch the ball most of the time, so all of the tactical elements can get missed. Yes, the lack of marking was obvious but when you only get one viewing, it is impossible to spot ALL of the mistakes  

It is entirely the opposite.When you are at the game you see more things than you won't see on tv unless you follow the ball which is blind.The advantage of being at the game is you can assess players on and off the ball or maybe it's just me.