• Current Donation Goals

10 hours ago, Vinod said:

I saw the highlights. Paused every chance we conceded. I can say with conviction that Jorginho needs to do more defensively. 

Reminds me of Deco in that regard. 

If Kovacic plays, I think the drop off in defensive solidarity with Jorginho in the side becomes less apparent. 

There is no doubt that Jorginho has some things to adapt to his game, but he does seem extremely comfortable in possession and we are aiming to be a highly possession based side... so maybe this won’t be as obvious long term. 

xCELERYx   
13 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I'm not sure how the myth that Alonso can't play as a traditional full back ever materialised. he's playing no different to how he was last season, which incidentally is no different to most full backs in the premier league.

It's an excuse made for Conte as he wasn't prepared to try anything other than 5 at the back. It's almost as good an excuse as our players not being good enough.

Mate, no one has said (at least I haven't) that he can't play as a fullback. The argument is that he's best suited in a more advanced wingback role because it still allows for him to excel on the attacking front where his strengths lie, but doesn't quite come at the defensive cost because of his sometimes sluggish defensive game and lack of pace to get back into position if caught up field. That extra CB in a back three is the insurance that is now lacking in a back four, in turn it is going to leave the left hand side more vulnerable than it previously was. 

This was something identified when he joined Fiorentina when they would switch between a back four and a back three. His first season there saw him largely split his time between both fullback and midfield/wingback, his second season though he spent more time in a wingback/midfield role . The change to a more advanced position saw him increase his impact on games and didn't leave the side as defensively exposed. With Pasqual and Vargas at the time being alternative options for his position, there was rotation and sometimes even the odd CB appearance made during that time.

This was a thing long before Chelsea. 

xCELERYx   
14 hours ago, Leo91 said:

It took Pep and Klopp a full season to iron out the kinks of the high press. It's going to take us about the same. 

It also took both managers significant investment and backing from their clubs to bring in suitable players to.

You really need a side that is filled with dynamic players with and without the ball. It's a difficult system to instill and leaves little room for playing being carried. 

Vinod   
5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Reminds me of Deco in that regard. 

If Kovacic plays, I think the drop off in defensive solidarity with Jorginho in the side becomes less apparent. 

There is no doubt that Jorginho has some things to adapt to his game, but he does seem extremely comfortable in possession and we are aiming to be a highly possession based side... so maybe this won’t be as obvious long term. 

When we press, we press well. However, high quality sides will be able to keep the ball and go past us at certain times. Equally there will be phases in games where we need to sit back and be patient. I understand Jorginho is a regista. 

However, he seriously needs to improve his positioning in our box. Most of the chances would have been prevented had he and another midfielder been a couple of yard inside the edge of the box. 

In general our defensive unit seemed to indulge in a fair bit of ball watching and lost track of opposition players in the box. 

paulw66   
5 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Mate, no one has said (at least I haven't) that he can't play as a fullback.

Lots of people have on this forum! 

On 8/20/2018 at 4:46 PM, Ham said:

.........and counting because they still haven't won a thing. 

Media will be rooting hard for them. I see a lot of cheap favorable pks in Liverpool’s future this season. 

BlueWill   
On 20/08/2018 at 2:44 PM, paulw66 said:

At the ground, you watch the ball most of the time, so all of the tactical elements can get missed. Yes, the lack of marking was obvious but when you only get one viewing, it is impossible to spot ALL of the mistakes  

I think another part of it is who you're sat with - most know something, a few know a lot and others are quite clueless. Early on when Ozil(?) flicked it wide from the pullback on Dave's side it was clear that we might be asking too much defensively of Barclay & Jorginho against a team like L'Arse. 

My personal frustration with TV is that it does 'ball watch' horribly and you rarely get to hear the shouts. In the ground its absorbing, watching runs that come to nothing, tracking the man, marking space, how a defence gets pulled out of shape and then regains it, players low/high on energy and/or motivation. Time just flies. The big advantage of TV is the replays, but counter that with some dire commentaries. TV analysis provided hours after final whistle is usually informative, even if slightly biased.

chara   
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:10 AM, BlueWill said:

I think another part of it is who you're sat with - most know something, a few know a lot and others are quite clueless. Early on when Ozil(?) flicked it wide from the pullback on Dave's side it was clear that we might be asking too much defensively of Barclay & Jorginho against a team like L'Arse. 

My personal frustration with TV is that it does 'ball watch' horribly and you rarely get to hear the shouts. In the ground its absorbing, watching runs that come to nothing, tracking the man, marking space, how a defence gets pulled out of shape and then regains it, players low/high on energy and/or motivation. Time just flies. The big advantage of TV is the replays, but counter that with some dire commentaries. TV analysis provided hours after final whistle is usually informative, even if slightly biased.

Have to agree..I wrote a slightly more detailed post that I "lost" but most I wrote is here. My pet peeve on TV is the ball played out towards a "winger' not in frame and it appears to be a wayward pass until the camera either zooms out or in!

Being able to watch every Chelsea game (and any other should I wish) up here in the Rocky Mountain foothills at 9000ft is still a source of wonder and amazement to me but I do miss SB.