• Current Donation Goals

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Newcastle at St. James' Park, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 16:00, Sunday, 26th August, 2018 (Local UK time/date).

Depending on injuries, I'd like to see;

Arrizabalaga - Azpilicueta, Christensen, Luiz, Alonso - Kanté, Jorginho, Barkley - Pedro, Morata, Hazard

Subs: Caballero, Rüdiger, Loftus-Cheek, Kovacic, Willian, Moses, Giroud

Missing out: Green, Zappacosta, Cahill, Emerson, Ampadu, Drinkwater, Hudson-Odoi, Abraham

Injured: Fabregas

First priority is to nail down a settled starting XI that buys into the style of play and can execute the game plan. Second priority to keep everyone happy. For now. There will be plenty of games coming along once September and October kicks in. 

Only two changes for me. Christensen coming in to see if he can add some stability. He's also better with the ball compared to Rüdiger so I think it's worth a try. Also, he needs game-time to get up to speed. For me he fills a function as CB3 and hence needs the minutes. Hazard being the other change and a far more obvious one. The reason I take Willian out is because I think he was a main culprit for the second half demise against Arsenal (together with Barkley) due to his lack of defensive work. Very unusual to direct such critisism against Willian... Pedro has also scored two games in a row (plus he's in my Fantasy!!!) so I think he deserves to keep his place (but will probably find himself being a second half sub for Willian). Kovacic isn't there yet so I think another second half sub is approriate for him. 

It's a lot of competition for places although I don't see Drinkwater staying put... But where can he go on loan? 

Hopefully another three points... Newcastle away is never an easy game for us. But it would be nice to give Benitez a real spanking!

1-2 Chelsea. Hazard, Morata

Jasonb   

I would think we would start how we finished yesterday except keep Morata instead of Giroud.

paulw66   

I expect Kovacic to start. Looks a real player.

Newcastle always turn into Real Madrid when we play them at SJP, so have no idea what to expect! 

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I expect Kovacic to start. Looks a real player.

Newcastle always turn into Real Madrid when we play them at SJP, so have no idea what to expect! 

I would expect the same again , I don't think Sarri wants to dishearten Willian or Barkley who both had their moments against Arsenal .

Personally I think you're right , if it was me I'd drop the pair of them for the evidently superior players but have a feeling Sarri likes a happy ship and won't rush either player back in .

I'm expecting some ups and downs this season, we have an awful record at St James Park and the lovely Mr Benitez is particularly good at stiffling free flowing attacking teams. We might find out how adaptable Mr Sarri is willing to be in this one. I think this might be a draw.

My impression of Morata is that, as challenging as it will be, we need to play him into form and confidence. Even if I'd prefer Giroud, we need to try and build on the goal and decent enough performance on Saturday. 

I'd be inclined to keep things as they are; Hazard is essential to us, so I think we'll have to live with easing him back in for the season's sake, same goes for Kovacic. One change I might make is Barkley for RLC; I see them as in direct competition with each other for a meaningful role in the squad. Barkely has had a first chance to show what he's got, and I'd like to see what RLC has in response. 

Weird that geordies have taken to Kenedy and that they'll be lamenting he isn't available. I think he'd be a real weak link for them in our pressing game. 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

My impression of Morata is that, as challenging as it will be, we need to play him into form and confidence. Even if I'd prefer Giroud, we need to try and build on the goal and decent enough performance on Saturday. 

I'd be inclined to keep things as they are; Hazard is essential to us, so I think we'll have to live with easing him back in for the season's sake, same goes for Kovacic. One change I might make is Barkley for RLC; I see them as in direct competition with each other for a meaningful role in the squad. Barkely has had a first chance to show what he's got, and I'd like to see what RLC has in response. 

Weird that geordies have taken to Kenedy and that they'll be lamenting he isn't available. I think he'd be a real weak link for them in our pressing game. 

The thing with Morata is he is technically and all round our best CF, his problem is a confidence/desire/attitude one - something that has been touched upon by Sarri. For me, he gets until Jan to play himself into form and maintain it. Giroud is always better off the bench anyway so I would keep him as an impact sub. 

As for the Newcastle game, I think this is a bit of a test to see what will happen to us this season. I say this as a) we never win there and b) it is these types of games you need to win if you are serious about being a solid top 4 side. 

In regards to the team, I would personally bring Hazard and Kovacic in as they are two of the most important components of Sarriball and they are fit enough to play. As a result, I would go with: 

Kepa 

Dave Rudi Luiz Alonso

Kante Jorginho Kovacic 

Pedro Morata Hazard 

Bench: Willy, Christensen, Zappa, Barkley, Moses/H-O, Willian, Giroud 

Panda   

I've lived in Newcastle since September 2012, and in that time Chelsea have lost 4 and drawn one. On all but one of those occasions I was in the ground.

The good news I am not at the game on Sunday and in fact I am not even in the city! So I will not be jinxing our team this year.

1-2 Chelsea!

I’d bring Hazard in to the team for this one, but I expect Kovacic to start from the bench again. Other than that I don’t see any changes. I think he’ll stick with Rudiger and Luiz until the international break to see if they can settle as a pair, it’s esrly days as a back 4 and if we keep switching the CB pairing around when it hasn’t worked, it will take even longer to settle. Give the current two a chance and if after 5/6 games we still have big issues, then make a change. 

Kepa

Azpi Rudiger Luiz Alonso

Kante Jorginho Barkley

Pedro Morata Hazard

sub: Caballero, Christensen, Zappacosta, Kovacic, Willian, Moses, Giroud

I hate Newcastle away, for some reason it always seems to be seen as one of the biggest games of the season for them and they play out of their skin! Let’s hope Sarri-Ball puts a stop to that. We also have an embarrassing result to make amends for from last season.

1-2 to Chelsea