• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Newcastle 1 Chelsea 2

Great result in what could have been a frustrating day.

Thouroughly deserved win, newcastle can have no complaints.

We played very well today, some nice football, just needed a little bite up front as didn’t create as many chances as we should.

If we can keep improving we can be a very good side this season.

kev61   

I think Giroud has to be the starting centre forward he may not have a hatfull of goals n him but he is an outlet and an option in our attacking play - I think most people would rather have Giiroud than Morata even though he is not great centre forward himself.

Kezza   

Our possession game has improved tremendously and quickly too. Before we couldn't even string a few passes together in the opposition half. And the possession stats is looking ridiculous too. 80+% this game and 70+% against Arsenal. We are becoming Barcelona pretty soon.

Kezza   
2 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I think Giroud has to be the starting centre forward he may not have a hatfull of goals n him but he is an outlet and an option in our attacking play - I think most people would rather have Giiroud than Morata even though he is not great centre forward himself.

Morata did ok this match except for the heavy touch. He fits the possession game and simple touch to lay off a pass and he can even hold the ball this match. I'm not sure Giroud is good in playing these short passes and lay off.

9 points from a possible 9. In the corresponding fixtures last season, we got 4 points from those 3 games.

It'll take a while for things to gel and for the players to be fully comfortable with the new system/style of play... in the meantime I'll take tough wins like today as happily as if they were 8-0 victories.

SKY summariser saying it wasn't a penalty because he played the ball. 

Goes through Alonso from behind to get it but as it's Chelsea that doesn't matter apparently .

This piss poor summarising helps fuel the anti Chelsea fire that the papers keep stoked for maximum clicks .

It's just a 24 hour anti Chelsea circle jerk 

Giroud elbowed in the face , " Justice has been done " , says it all.

Leo91   

In real time looked like a pen. Slow mo looks like it isn't. Does he get the ball after going through Alonso ? Referee doesn't have it easy there.

4 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

In real time looked like a pen. Slow mo looks like it isn't. Does he get the ball after going through Alonso ? Referee doesn't have it easy there.

He gets the ball fine but the scissor action stops Alonso getting it back and brings him down . When even Souness thinks it's a penalty ...

Zoowraa   

An interesting game that showed how far we have come in a short space of time. I think credit to the opposition, they defended very well and were well organised with the sole intention of frustrating us and happy to nick a draw or set piece winner.

Due to the approach Newcastle took to the game, it made us work a lot harder to break them down and left very few spaces in the final third of their end. I think this team will look better when it faces an opponent who actually presses, whilst it will put more pressure on our players in tight spaces, it will also open up more space and force the team to pass quicker when put under pressure. 

It another game where I don't think we learned a great deal. I presume Newcastle took the approach they did due to injuries/players left out, rather than this was part of the Benitez plan in training all week. Luiz was way too reactive for the goal, needs to thinking sharper and proactively in that situation. We really need Morata to find some form, he could have a major influence on this team and style, but at present he just looks so short on confidence and don't look at ease with the game in England. Giroud must be pushing for a start very soon, but his lack of mobility and lack of touch/subtlety does not lend itself ideally to the current team/style. If I was Tammy Abraham I would definitely stick around at Chelsea this season, whilst he appears to be a long way behind Morata/Giroud, if he can get a chance in Europa League/League Cup, he may just significantly reduce that gap between himself and our other two strikers who are vying for the one position.

I think we should realize that Kepa is only 23 or just 24, the fee for him must be a huge burden for a young gk so he will need time, I remember De Gea's first season, he looked awful but now look at him.

As for the Joselu header it was a fantastic effort but I cannot work out what Luiz was doing just frozen in time.