• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Newcastle 1 Chelsea 2

59 minutes ago, CFCnet Admin said:

Do you agree / disagree with CFCnet's player ratings vs Newcastle yesterday? Let us know - https://www.CFCnet.co.uk/chelsea-player-ratings-vs-newcastle/

"Hazard’s cameo performances so far, along with his full start of the season at Newcastle – much in-part to Alonso, Kovacic and Jorginho’s performances so far."

Any chance you could get someone who can string a coherent sentence together to write for you instead of coming out with this sort of drivel? Even Nigerian scammers write better than you!

Jasonb   
9 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Hazard touched the ball 40 times more than any game last season.

He was also the most fouled at 5 times, courtesy of the BBC report.

I was hesitant for us to start both Hazard and Kovacic and almost instantly felt it was the wrong choice to go along with both. I thought Kovacic had a decidedly average game and it almost seemed like he was running around 'saving' himself to last more than the planned 55-60 mins. Another player I was disappointed with was Kanté. 

Both of them was at best 6/10. 

It was four players who stood out for me; Hazard, Azpi, Alonso and Jorginho. The rest was just going through the motions. 

Luiz guilty of ball watching, but he can be excused considering it was a crystal clear red card offence by Yedlin on Giroud. As for our penalty, even Clattenberg thought it was a penalty - due to the ball not being dispossessed from Alonso and Yedlin throwing himself into a challenge from behind with his legs in a scissor-motion. Clear penalty. 

We played a great posession-based game but lacked penetration. Newcastle were awful and almost as defensive as Conte last season. Difference being that Newcastle don't have Hazard. Think they'll struggle this season. 

Arrizabalaga: 6 - should have done better for their goal

Azpilicueta: 7 - solid as ever, created some going forward

Rüdiger: 7 - solid and seemed to be one of few who tried to drive the team on

Luiz: 6 - caught ball-watching for their goal

Alonso: 8* - the notion he can't play, or would be sub-optimal at LB is one of the funniest things I've ever read about Chelsea. Only Mendy is better in the PL. 

Kanté: 6 - personally I think he's some way off from getting his new position right

Jorginho: 8 - makes us tick. Controls everything. 186 touches. 92% accuracy. 

Kovacic: 6 - personally I was disappointed with his performance. Perhaps because he failed to break the pattern of play and play between their lines

Pedro: 6 - worked hard but didn't cause Newcastle much problems

Morata: 6 - going through the motions. Not a bad performance but did little to break the pattern of play

Hazard: 8 - what would we be without him... I don't want to know. 

Subs:

Giroud: 7 - probably more like 6,5 but I'm not working with fractions here

Willian: 6 - played more on the break through the middle when he came on

Barkley: 6 - only on for 12 mins

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Because Rudiger is currently our best defender. He is a beast athletically which helps when playing a high-line, and also posesses a very nice cross field switch pass from distance 

Him and Christensen would be my preference 

Yes, I haven't seen Luiz do anything that Christensen couldn't do, whilst I've seen Luiz do several things that Christensen could do better. Christensen isn't as ambitious with his passes as Luiz at the moment, but consequently has a far higher pass completion %.

I hope that Luiz is only in the team until the international break, on a first-come (back) first-served basis with Sarri not wanting to disturb his back 4 when they've had so little training.

Jasonb   

I don't watch the matches just follow on-line or 5 live and MOTD.

Gullit was saying Alonso got poor service and was asking the question why Azpi and Alonso could not get wide and put in telling crosses. Both are good crossers yet to do that I take it that Kovacic and Kante would need to cover the full back position. 

I think we are sticking with Luiz due to his better distribution perhaps not needed against Newcastle yet in matches where Jorginho would get closed down Luiz would be the outlet to get the ball to the front players. 

Don't think we can tell much from the match due to Benitez's defensive tactics except knowing Hazard is now fit and we need to be able to penetrate teams better. Yet should add importantly, we have the desire to win.

We are lucky with how the fixtures have fallen meaning we are likley to stay near the top for at least another month barring some calamity.  I think we will improve as Sarri starts to see what the players are capable of and what needs need tweaking.

Like the way he makes positive substitutions at a decent time and great to see so much possession.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Luiz guilty of ball watching, but he can be excused considering it was a crystal clear red card offence by Yedlin on Giroud. As for our penalty, even Clattenberg thought it was a penalty - due to the ball not being dispossessed from Alonso and Yedlin throwing himself into a challenge from behind with his legs in a scissor-motion. Clear penalty.

This sort of thinking bewilders me a little. Irrespective if the build up play was dubious, that doesn't excuse Luiz from the job he's still meant to be doing. It's like excusing a CF for blazing his shot over the bar from 6 yards because the pass he received took a deflection and landed on his non-preferred foot. 

Luiz was once again caught out, not for the first time this season. He's had poor defensive moments in each of his three games so far. His quality on the ball when we have possession doesn't outweigh this sloppiness on the defensive side. As much as I love his enthusiasm and love for the badge, he's a liability when it comes to having a stable foundation at the back.

His position in the side has to be the most up for grabs out of the back line used so far. 

1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

Gullit was saying Alonso got poor service and was asking the question why Azpi and Alonso could not get wide and put in telling crosses. Both are good crossers yet to do that I take it that Kovacic and Kante would need to cover the full back position. 

I think you mean Morata got poor service. Fair point about our full backs not getting too many crosses into the box. We were trying to thread the ball through the middle all the time. Even though crosses into Morata and Giroud would've been a good option considering both are great headers of the ball.

Yes, the possession stats look impressive on paper but we hardly created anything of note. I think we might have had two or three efforts on goal and scored through a penalty and deflected own goal.

Good start to the season for sure. But there's still a lot for Sarri to think about. Not least what to do with Jorginho and Kante in midfield. Kante dosn't look entirely convincing playing forward.

Ham   

A word for the referee.  The elbow on Giroud aside, I thought he had a good game. Wasn't intimidated by the home fans. I've not seen him before. 

Spitting image of Iniesta too 🤔

I remember during the World Cup listening to the pundits and media justifying almost every penalty decision no matter how soft, especially when it came to England. And also whining when England didn’t get penalties for this and that challenge.

I also made a mental note thinking the attitude will totally change when the Prem starts again and penalties involving Chelsea are discussed by the media. And so here we are, these same pundits and commentators would have been screaming for a penalty if that was England two months back.