• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Newcastle 1 Chelsea 2

12 hours ago, chara said:

Absolute penalty got a touch on the ball sure but not control or possession and Alonso was still going with the ball when the follow through got him..no argument and would have been the same had it been against Chelsea (only given quicker!!)

Funny criticism of the kepa for the goal..best goal of the game and the fact it was such a small gap made it very difficult for the attacker but Luiz "froze" and that was a close in speeding ball not a "soft" floater.....terrible decision to let the forearm throat smash go unpunished but the old age adage.."play to the whistle" still stands.

Onward....Hazard enjoying himself and the deliberate kick on the back of his leg he received at the start of the game let go by the ref... some things never change...

Did he freeze or did he like many others think the obvious elbow on Giroud would be punished? That was disgraceful from the linesman. The header however was a cracker. Sometimes you have to give credit to the oppo.

2 hours ago, Jasonb said:

He was also the most fouled at 5 times, courtesy of the BBC report.

Yes took 60 minutes for  card to be given for it though.

Zoowraa   
44 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

This sort of thinking bewilders me a little. Irrespective if the build up play was dubious, that doesn't excuse Luiz from the job he's still meant to be doing. It's like excusing a CF for blazing his shot over the bar from 6 yards because the pass he received took a deflection and landed on his non-preferred foot. 

Luiz was once again caught out, not for the first time this season. He's had poor defensive moments in each of his three games so far. His quality on the ball when we have possession doesn't outweigh this sloppiness on the defensive side. As much as I love his enthusiasm and love for the badge, he's a liability when it comes to having a stable foundation at the back.

His position in the side has to be the most up for grabs out of the back line used so far. 

Have we not all heard this before though? Yes, he has to have more awareness for the goal yesterday and it has to go down as his error. But we hear this criticism of him time and time again, especially when he plays in a back four. However, I’m yet to meet anyone who can justify why the guy has won so many major trophies as a footballer and most of them win in back four?? Teams cannot carry players at the highest level and especially at centre half. He plays a game that is risky and on the edge at times, he will also cost you a goal a times ( though I doubt it’s any more than many CB’s, it just gets highlighted more), but if you focus on the positives in his game then explains why he plays and why he has been such a successful player in his career. He is a leader, he is physically strong and intercepts play well, he is good in the air and can be dominant up against forwards, he has some pace(though it’s not as good as it was), he is very good on the ball, he contributes goals from defence, he can pick out defence splitting passes. Sure he will make mistakes that cost us at times, but his positivity as a defender will also snuff out a lot of danger early a lot of times too. Christensen is a promising player, but can he honestly contribute all the positives listed for Luiz at present? The answer has to be no. We need to focus on the positives Luiz provides the team, rather than the potential negatives , which in his case our very overblown over a number of seasons in England. 

6 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

Have we not all heard this before though? Yes, he has to have more awareness for the goal yesterday and it has to go down as his error. But we hear this criticism of him time and time again, especially when he plays in a back four. However, I’m yet to meet anyone who can justify why the guy has won so many major trophies as a footballer and most of them win in back four?? Teams cannot carry players at the highest level and especially at centre half. He plays a game that is risky and on the edge at times, he will also cost you a goal a times ( though I doubt it’s any more than many CB’s, it just gets highlighted more), but if you focus on the positives in his game then explains why he plays and why he has been such a successful player in his career. He is a leader, he is physically strong and intercepts play well, he is good in the air and can be dominant up against forwards, he has some pace(though it’s not as good as it was), he is very good on the ball, he contributes goals from defence, he can pick out defence splitting passes. Sure he will make mistakes that cost us at times, but his positivity as a defender will also snuff out a lot of danger early a lot of times too. Christensen is a promising player, but can he honestly contribute all the positives listed for Luiz at present? The answer has to be no. We need to focus on the positives Luiz provides the team, rather than the potential negatives , which in his case our very overblown over a number of seasons in England. 

Well put absolutely spot on.I'm guessing Luiz is the latest in a worrying line of scapegoats and we aren't even losing at the moment. 

And talking of scapegoats I thought Morata had a decent game yesterday His movement and hold up play was pretty good.

Holymoly   
2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Kanté: 6 - personally I think he's some way off from getting his new position right

I'm not sure of the rationale behind converting one of the best defensive midfileders in the world into an average box to box attacking midfielder either.

23 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

Well put absolutely spot on.I'm guessing Luiz is the latest in a worrying line of scapegoats and we aren't even losing at the moment. 

And talking of scapegoats I thought Morata had a decent game yesterday His movement and hold up play was pretty good.

Him not being able to play in a back 4 is probably the last thing the Conte fans are hanging on to.

All their other excuses have been made to look rather silly already.

Luiz's positives,  not just footballing ability but everything he brings to this football club, far FAR outweigh his negatives. 

Zoowraa   
1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

I'm not sure of the rationale behind converting one of the best defensive midfileders in the world into an average box to box attacking midfielder either.

He isn’t a defensive midfielder though. Think back to Conte’s first few games as Chelsea manager before the Arsenal game and switch to a back three. He played Kante as a holding midfielder sat in front of the defence, he was completely ineffective because he was just sat there using very little of his attributes. Same at Leicester, he didn’t sit protecting a back four, as a team they sat deep to create space in behind, but Kante was still pressing the opposition and breaking up play by going on the front foot on a lot of occasions. The simple truth is Jorginho has been brought in to dictate play from a central position, he needs runners around him and Kante is a perfect player to play this position. He is likely to find himself in more advanced areas due to this change and that won’t be completely natural too him, but he will have far more influence on the team in this role, as opposed to sitting as a defensive midfielder. You need him on the front foot to get the very best from him.

chara   
3 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

Did he freeze or did he like many others think the obvious elbow on Giroud would be punished? That was disgraceful from the linesman. The header however was a cracker. Sometimes you have to give credit to the oppo.

Sorry mesnt he froze because of the blatent foul.

4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Luiz's positives,  not just footballing ability but everything he brings to this football club, far FAR outweigh his negatives. 

What’s that.

throw your toys out of the pram when the manager tells you a few home truths about the way you are playing?

paulw66   
42 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

What’s that.

throw your toys out of the pram when the manager tells you a few home truths about the way you are playing?

what are you talking about?