• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Newcastle 1 Chelsea 2

11 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

It must have been a dream come true for Luiz when the club hired a yes man coach who will not rock the boat in confronting his senior players.

Interesting to know why you would have such a massive downer on Sarri at this point? Sure, he doesn’t have the trophies on his cv yet, but that’s hardly reason to detest him like you seem to. Seems a little bit like you are desperate for him to fail? His defensive approach concerns me somewhat (mostly because, at layman level, I don’t really understand how it can work), but I have an open mind about his philosophy and am genuinely excited to see if he can achieve results with us. To attack him for trying to work with the board is an odd stance to take, especially as we have signed 2 very good players and shipped out one rotten tomato since he has arrived, as well as playing some attractive, if scary, football.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

But as posted above, Giroud doesn't score the goal Morata got v Arsenal as he can't run.

With regards to Kante, he isn't a pure defensive midfielder like Makelele, he is at his best going to box to box and winning tackles all over the park. Against better sides, I would like to see a 4-2-3-1 rather than the current 4-1-2-3 though

Yes when we play against a team as defensive as Newcastle, we could consider Fabregas/Barkley/RLC instead of Kanté. With Kanté to come on if the team decides to try and put us under pressure. But how often do we know in advance that we'll be playing against a defensive team?

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Yes when we play against a team as defensive as Newcastle, we could consider Fabregas/Barkley/RLC instead of Kanté. With Kanté to come on if the team decides to try and put us under pressure. But how often do we know in advance that we'll be playing against a defensive team?

When playing teams like Burnley, Cardiff, Huddesfield, a Rafa team etc, it is a pretty safe bet. Rest of the leafue not so much. West Ham may try it as they have conceded so many already. 

paulw66   
On 8/26/2018 at 6:38 PM, Bob Singleton said:

9 points from a possible 9. In the corresponding fixtures last season, we got 4 points from those 3 games.

Yup, and Bournemouth at home coming up, a game we lost last season. We could easily be +8 on last season after 4 games. 

On 8/26/2018 at 8:25 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Luiz positional sense was fine , it's the awareness of what's happening around him that needs looking into .

Quite. Nothing to do with being in a back 3 or back 4, he just didn't attack the ball. Poor. 

Somewhat shocked Kepa is getting any blame. Was a brilliant header into the postage stamp. Reminded me of Drogba in Munich. 

On 8/26/2018 at 8:46 PM, kev61 said:

It's amazing what a few games can change perspective - I didn't give us a snowballs chance  in hell this year but I am looking forward to the next game.Someone made a very good point (I can't remember who)that the way we play now apart from the top four the rest of the league will find it very hard to live with us which is a giant step forward in my book.

Hope I am not being overly optimistic☺

Snowballs chance of what? I think we have every chance of regaining top 4 but no chance of being champions. 

On the 2nd point, we play 28 games against those outside the top 6. Win 24 or so of those and we will be top 4 comfortably. 

On 8/26/2018 at 9:39 PM, johnboy said:

What could have been a frustrating afternoon (& one that normally would have been) ended with a result that was justified. The passing game is improved but unless the ball goes in the net it just adds up to statistics. Where a team like city capitalise on their passing game is in having someone like Aguero to finish it all off, which we clearly do not have at present. 

To be fair to Morata and Giroud, how many chances did we create? Not sure what difference Aguero would have made. I agree with Gullit's assessment, we were too narrow for a large portion of the game. 

On 8/27/2018 at 6:27 AM, Kezza said:

If ball playing defender is a requirement why not Christensen for Rudiger. Technically we don't need to defend much if we have 80% possession every match! And I felt as if Sarri would have the keeper bring the ball out of defence if he could! 

Rudiger is about 4th name on the team sheet for me at the moment. Brilliant player. 

On 8/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, Ham said:

A word for the referee.  The elbow on Giroud aside, I thought he had a good game. Wasn't intimidated by the home fans. I've not seen him before. 

I didn't. Allowed them to kick Hazard again and again, then when Kovacic did one foul, went straight in the book. Having given the penalty, I don't know how Schar avoided a 2nd yellow either. 

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

But as posted above, Giroud doesn't score the goal Morata got v Arsenal as he can't run.

I'm sure we can go round in circles in this one, but you've got some way to go to convince me that Morata is a more efficient goalscorer than Giroud in any circumstance. Morata has a better turn of pace than Giroud but I have seen Giroud score many types of goals for Arsenal, France and indeed us. And he also has a presence on the pitch that Morata doesn't have. We've had 4 competitive games and Morata has got one goal and very few efforts on target. He is not exactly blazing a trail. After the international break I'd like to see Giroud given his chance.

paulw66   
1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'm sure we can go round in circles in this one, but you've got some way to go to convince me that Morata is a more efficient goalscorer than Giroud in any circumstance. Morata has a better turn of pace than Giroud 

Don't you answer your own question there? The circumstance where Morata is more effective / efficient is where you need the striker to run. 

3 matches in and I don't remember Morata missing a chance - he hasn't had many so far. 

That said, as I posted previously, when teams are that defence and there is no space, Giroud is the better option. 

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Don't you answer your own question there? The circumstance where Morata is more effective / efficient is where you need the striker to run. 

3 matches in and I don't remember Morata missing a chance - he hasn't had many so far. 

That said, as I posted previously, when teams are that defence and there is no space, Giroud is the better option. 

He seems to be running quite well without the aid of a zimmer frame in many of these clips. I'd say he has pretty quick feet as well for a big man. It's not on this clip but his goal for against Southampton in the FA cup was a thing of beauty.   

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

He seems to be running quite well without the aid of a zimmer frame in many of these clips. I'd say he has pretty quick feet as well for a big man. It's not on this clip but his goal for against Southampton in the FA cup was a thing of beauty.   

Bizarre montage to try and prove the point. In none of those is he running into space like the Morata goal last week. In that scenario, Morata is the better option. 

Giroud has his strengths, and I would use him more, particularly against packed defences, but he is slower than Morata, and I don't think anyone can deny that. 

Edit - I am not, and have not at any point been critical of Giroud's ability to finish or hold the ball up. The only point I have been making is about the speed across the ground. 

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Bizarre montage to try and prove the point. In none of those is he running into space like the Morata goal last week. In that scenario, Morata is the better option. 

Giroud has his strengths, and I would use him more, particularly against packed defences, but he is slower than Morata, and I don't think anyone can deny that. 

Edit - I am not, and have not at any point been critical of Giroud's ability to finish or hold the ball up. The only point I have been making is about the speed across the ground. 

Well I didn't put the montage together but there is demos of running into space, getting ahead of defenders by fleet of foot, running (yes running) half the length of a pitch quite fast to get on the end of a cross. If you want me to find a replica of Morata's goal I'm not sure I can oblige. I thought the accusation was that he couldn't run. 

kev61   
6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well I didn't put the montage together but there is demos of running into space, getting ahead of defenders by fleet of foot, running (yes running) half the length of a pitch quite fast to get on the end of a cross. If you want me to find a replica of Morata's goal I'm not sure I can oblige. I thought the accusation was that he couldn't run. 

As an attribute to the TEAM Giroud should start before Morata because he gives us an option to play wide and throw crosses into the box which  Giroud has the postional intelligence to get on the end of.To say Giroud can't run and Morata can means nothing when the person 'running' doesn't know where he's running to unless he gets lucky on occasion.